There are 49 Open Tech CEO Roles and 69 Appointments.
Here is their geographic distribution:
Geographic Distribution of Open Tech CEO Roles & Appointments
Reasons for CEO departures
- Devin Wenig resigned as CEO of eBay. The move comes amid turmoil at the company. Earlier this year, investors Elliott Management suggested key structural changes to help reinvigorate a floundering company.
- USA Technologies appointed current Board member, Donald W. Layden, Jr., as Interim CEO after Stephen Herbert’s decided to step down as CEO and a director. Herbert’s departure comes three days after USAT’s largest investor, New York hedge fund Hudson Executive Capital, said it planned to nominate a slate of independent candidates to take over the company’s board.
- IBM elected Arvind Krishna to replace Virginia Rometty as CEO.
- Western Digital’s CEO to serve until the Board identifies and appoints a successor.
- Coherent announced that President and CEO John Ambroseo will step down from his roles no later than April 2021. The Board is leading a global search for Mr. Ambroseo's successor.
- The CEO of Sweden based NCAB wishes to retire from the position of CEO in 2020. The Board of NCAB will now commence the recruitment process to find a new CEO.
- BCE Inc. appointed COO Mirko Bibic as President and CEO.
- Stephen B. Burke, Senior EVP of Comcast and President and CEO of its subsidiary NBCUniversal Media, will retire in August 2020.
- Velodyne Lidar announced its CTO Anand Gopalan as its new CEO, replacing founder David Hall. Hall will continue as Chairman.
- Net Health Systems appointed Josh Pickus to replace Anthony Sanzo as CEO as part of the planned transition.
M&A / Spin-offs / Funding
- Instructure’s CEO Dan Goldsmith steps after merger agreement with Thoma Bravo.
- As a strategic review culminated in the sale of parts of the Arq Group Limited, leaving a smaller, less complex business, CEO Martin Mercer has left. The search for a new CEO is currently underway.
- IAC will acquire Care.com for $500 million. Long-time IAC executive Tim Allen appointed as CEO of Care.com.
- Board member Harold Bevis has been named Boxlight’s Chairman and CEO. The company received additional $750,000 investment from The Lind Partners recently.
- Security Compass secured growth equity funding from FTV Capital and COO Rohit Sethi named as CEO.
Long term open roles
- Marchex has been without a CEO since October 2016. The call analytics and call tracking company has had an “office of the CEO”.
- Cherry AB - Swedish Economic Crime Authority initiated an investigation in May 2018 for insider crime as a result of share trading by Cherry’s former CEO, Anders Holmgren. Gunnar Lind is acting CEO.
- Expedia Group announced the resignation of Mark Okerstrom as CEO. The departures is the result of disagreement between the board and the upper management with the company’s strategy as it attempted to reorganize its brands in the past year. according to the announcement “this reorganization, while sound in concept, resulted in a material loss of focus on our current operations, leading to disappointing third quarter results and a lackluster near-term outlook”.
Disappointing Results and Lawsuits: Pareteum Corporation, Fusion Connect
12 Newly Opened Roles - Geographic Distribution
- 9 out of 12 Newly Opened Tech CEO Roles are in North America: Plantronics and Quanergy Systems, CA, 3D Systems Corporation, SC; Hut 8 Mining Corp., ON, Canada; SITO Mobile, NJ; The LGL Group, FL; 1010data, NY, Instructure, UT, One Stop Systems, CA.
For all 49 Open Tech CEO Roles & All Appointments
Most active regions/states/countries for Open Tech CEO Roles
- West Pacific has 11 open roles
The most active regions/states/countries for Incoming CEOs
- 15 out of the 60 appointments in North America are in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic area, followed by 14 appointments in West Pacific area
Sources of CEO Appointments
30 out of 69 CEOs appointed were sourced externally
Hope you enjoy this newsletter and find it useful. Suggestions and corrections are most welcome and appreciated.
Thanks again and all the best,
Vell Executive Search is a retained executive search firm that specializes in recruiting technology execs for boards and executive roles, including Board Members, CEOs, Presidents, GMs, CTOs/Chief Digital Officers/VP Engineering, SVP Sales, Chief Revenue Officers, CMOs, and CFOs. Vell has built a reputation for recruiting talented high-performing leadership teams globally. www.vell.com.
In this Edition
Open Tech CEO Roles: United States, Canada, EMEA, Asia Pacific, Latin America
New Tech CEO Appointments: United States, Canada, EMEA, Asia Pacific, Latin America
Vell Executive Search Representative Placements: Board, CEOs, GMs, CTOs, CFOs, SVP Sales, SVP, Marketing, CIOs, Chief Digital Officers
About Vell Executive Search
Open Tech CEO Roles
Open Tech CEO Roles - United States
- Northeast & Mid Atlantic: USA Technologies (PA); Pareteum Corporation and Fusion Connect (NY); SITO Mobile, 1010data, iCIMS (NJ)
- Midwest: Envestnet (IL); Perceptron (MI)
- South Central: Intrusion and Solera Holdings (TX)
- South Atlantic: 3D Systems Corporation (SC); LightPath Technologies and The LGL Group (FL)
- West Mountain: Instructure (UT)
- West Pacific: Western Digital Corporation, eBay, Teradata Corporation, Coherent, Plantronics, TrueCar, One Stop Systems, Digital Locations, Quanergy Systems (CA); Expedia, Marchex (WA)
Northeast Open Tech CEO Roles
- USA Technologies, PA, Oct 2019 - USA Technologies announced that its Board of Directors has appointed current Board member, Donald W. Layden, Jr., as Interim CEO. Mr. Layden’s appointment follows Stephen Herbert’s decision to step down as CEO and a director of the company. The Company intends to engage a leading executive search firm to identify a permanent CEO. Herbert’s departure comes three days after USAT’s largest investor, New York hedge fund Hudson Executive Capital, said it planned to nominate a slate of independent candidates to take over the company’s board.
- Pareteum Corporation, NY, Nov 2019 - Pareteum Corporation announced a CEO transition and a restructuring of its leadership team. Robert H. Turner has been terminated as Chairman and CEO of Pareteum. Bart Weijermars has been appointed Interim CEO, while retaining his role as Chief Strategy Officer. This leadership transition was "a key step" for the company as it works to complete an ongoing financial restatement process and improve financial and operational controls.
- SITO Mobile, NJ, Jan 2020 - Thomas J. Pallack voluntarily resigned as CEO and as a Director. Scott L. Kauffman appointed as the Company's Interim CEO.
- 1010data, NY, Jan 2020 - Greg Munves is stepping down as CEO to pursue new opportunities. Inna Kuznetsova, COO, will serve as the company’s interim CEO.
- iCIMS, NJ, Sep 2019 - iCIMS announced that its founder Colin Day is moving from CEO of the company to Chairman. Ronald Kasner, iCIMS’ president and COO, will lead business operations as interim CEO while an executive search is conducted.
- Fusion Connect, NY, Oct 2019 - Fusion Connect announced that the company's Board of Directors has appointed Kevin Brand, most recently Fusion's SVP – Customer Experience, as interim CEO. Mr. Brand succeeds Matthew Rosen, who has resigned as CEO. Mr. Rosen will continue to serve as Chairman of the company's Board of Directors until Fusion has emerged from its chapter 11 process to ensure a smooth transition. Fusion's board will undertake a search to identify the company's next CEO.
Midwest Open Tech CEO Roles
- Envestnet, IL, Oct 2019 - Judson Bergman, Chairman and CEO, passed away in October 2019, in San Francisco, CA in an automobile accident. The Board of Directors implemented the company’s emergency succession plan and has appointed Bill Crager, President of Envestnet and CEO of Envestnet Wealth Solutions, as Interim CEO. Mr. Crager has served as President of Envestnet since 2002.
- Perceptron, MI, Nov 2019 - Perceptron appointed Jay W. Freeland as Interim President and CEO of the Company. Mr. Freeland will continue to serve as Chairman of the Board and will serve as the Company's principal executive officer. Mr. Freeland succeeds David L. Watza who resigned as President and CEO of the Company, as a member of the Board and as principal financial officer. The search for a permanent CEO is already underway under the direction of the Board. They're looking for a leader who can accelerate Perceptron's forward momentum and maximize the underlying value that is not reflected in the current share price.
South Central Open CEO Roles
- Intrusion, TX, Oct 2019 - Intrusion announced that CEO, Mr. G. Ward Paxton, passed away. The Company’s Board of Directors will be meeting very shortly to appoint a new CEO and to outline a succession plan for the Company going forward. Intrusion develops, markets, and supports entity identification, high speed data mining, cybercrime and advanced persistent threat detection, regulated information compliance, and data privacy protection products.
- Solera Holdings, TX, Nov 2019 - Solera Holdings' CEO Jeff Tarr has stepped down and Darko Dejanovic has been appointed interim CEO. While serving as interim CEO, Dejanovic will continue his role as operating principal and president of Vista Intelligence Group for Vista Equity Partners, which acquired and took the company private in 2016. Tarr stepping down comes on the heels of news that Aquila filed a lawsuit against Solera for stock options worth more than $100 million in September. The judge dismissed the case later in the month. Aquila claims Solera breached the separation deal made in 2016 when Vista took a controlling stake in the company.
South Atlantic Open CEO Roles
- 3D Systems Corporation, SC, Feb 2020 - 3D Systems Corporation announced that President and CEO Vyomesh (VJ) Joshi, 65, has notified the Board of Directors of his decision to retire and the Board has initiated a search for his successor. The company is partnering with executive search firm Spencer Stuart to conduct a search for Joshi's successor.
- LightPath Technologies, FL, Jun 2019 - LightPath Technologies announced that Jim Gaynor intends to retire as President and CEO in June 2020 after more than 12 years with the Company. Mr. Gaynor will continue to serve as the Company’s CEO and President until a successor has been selected and will assist the Company’s board of directors in its ongoing succession planning. He will also continue to serve as a director. LightPath Technologies designs, develops, manufactures, and distributes optical components and assemblies.
- The LGL Group, FL, Dec 2019 - The LGL Group appointed board member Ivan Arteaga as interim CEO. The LGL Group provides frequency and spectrum control products.
West Mountain Open Tech CEO Roles
- Instructure, UT, Feb 2020 - Dan Goldsmith has informed the Board of his intent to step down as CEO and Director after merger agreement with Thoma Bravo. The Board will hire an executive search firm to assist in its process to evaluate candidates to succeed Goldsmith. Cloud-based learning management software provider.
West Pacific Open Tech CEO Roles
- Western Digital Corporation, CA, Oct 2019 - Western Digital Corporation announced that Stephen D. Milligan, the Company's CEO and a member of the Company's Board of Directors, intends to retire as the Company's CEO. Mr. Milligan will continue to serve as the Company's CEO until the Board identifies and appoints a successor, and then will remain with the Company in an advisory role until September 2020 to ensure a smooth transition. The Board has initiated a search to identify a successor.
- Expedia Group, WA, Dec 2019 - Expedia Group announced the resignation of Mark Okerstrom as CEO and a member of the Board. Barry Diller, Chairman of the Board, and Vice Chairman Peter Kern, Director of Expedia, will oversee the company's executive leadership team, managing day-to-day operations, while the Board determines the long-term leadership of the Company. Kern was most recently CEO and board member of Tribune Media Company and is Managing Partner of InterMedia Partners VII, LP, a private equity firm.
- eBay, CA, Oct 2019 - Devin Wenig resigned as CEO, president and director amidst an ongoing review of its business. The company’s board of directors has appointed Scott Schenkel, previously the CFO, as the new interim CEO. EBay said it is conducting an ongoing search to fill the position on a permanent basis and is considering both internal and external candidates. Wenig, who has served as CEO since 2015, when eBay and PayPal were split into two separate, publicly traded companies, indicated that his departure was prompted by a disagreement with the board. The move comes amid turmoil at the company. Earlier this year, investors Elliott Management suggested key structural changes to help reinvigorate a floundering company. eBay went through layoffs and restructuring in the wake of the letter.
- Teradata Corporation, CA, Nov 2019 - Teradata announced that Victor Lund, the Executive Chairman of the Teradata Board of Directors, has been appointed Interim President and CEO. Oliver Ratzesberger is no longer serving as President and CEO and he has resigned from Teradata’s board. Mr. Lund will continue in his role as Executive Chairman. The Company's Board has established a CEO Search Committee to lead the process to identify and select a permanent CEO.
- Coherent, CA, Apr 2019 - Coherent announced that President and CEO John Ambroseo have entered into a transition and retirement agreement, pursuant to which he will step down from his roles no later than April 2021. The Governance and Nominating Committee of the Board is leading a global search for Mr. Ambroseo's successor. Coherent provides lasers, laser-based technologies, and laser-based system solutions for a range of scientific, commercial, and industrial applications.
- Plantronics, CA, Feb 2020 - Chairman Robert Hagerty has been appointed Interim CEO. This appointment follows Joe Burton stepping down as President and CEO.
- Marchex, WA, Oct 2016 - Pete Christothoulou resigned as CEO in October 2016. An office of the CEO for the call analytics and call tracking company is still in place as of December 15, 2019.
- TrueCar, CA, Jun 2019 - TrueCar announced that Chip Perry, its President and CEO, has retired. The Board has appointed Michael Darrow as interim President and CEO. Mr. Darrow is currently EVP of Partner & OEM Development and President of ALG. TrueCar is an automotive pricing and information website for new and used car buyers and dealers. TrueCar is paid by dealerships so they can obtain potential buyers' contact information.
- One Stop Systems, CA, Feb 2020 - One Stop Systems has appointed company director, David Raun, as interim president and CEO, succeeding Steve Cooper, who will continue as a director. Raun will serve in the interim capacity until the board selects a new president and CEO.
- Digital Locations, CA, Oct 2019 - Rick Ellis resigned as the Digital Locations’s CEO and as a member of the Company’s Board of Directors. Mr. Ellis’ decision to resign from the Company’s board of directors is not the result of any disagreement with the Company. The Company divested its EllisLab Corp. subsidiary through a sale to Rick Ellis, the Company’s former CEO and board member. Mr. Ellis, the lead developer of ExpressionEngine, a free and open-source content management system (CMS), will continue to serve as President of EllisLab Corp. and provide services to the open source ExpressionEngine community.
- Quanergy Systems, CA, Jan 2020 - Dr. Louay Eldada has stepped down as Quanergy CEO and board member. Dr. Kevin J. Kennedy will assume the role of acting CEO.
Open Tech CEO Roles - Canada
- Ontario: LoyaltyOne, Communitech, Data Deposit Box, Helix Applications, First Global Data
- British Columbia: BLOK Technologies, Glance Technologies, Cascadia Blockchain Group
- Quebec: IRYStec Software
Details of Open Tech CEO Roles - Canada
- LoyaltyOne, ON, Canada, Aug 2019 - Bryan A. Pearson has departed as CEO of LoyaltyOne, the operator of the AIR MILES® Reward Program in Canada. ADS announced that Charles Horn, EVP and Vice Chairman of ADS, will oversee LoyaltyOne on an interim basis. LoyaltyOne, Co. provides loyalty marketing services to enterprises in retail, financial services, grocery, petroleum retail, travel, and hospitality sectors globally. LoyaltyOne owns and operates the AIR MILES® Reward Program, Canada's most recognized loyalty program.
- Hut 8 Mining Corp., ON, Canada, Jan 2020 - Andrew Kiguel will be stepping down from his role as CEO. Andrew will remain the CEO and a member of the Board of Directors until a successor is appointed. The company will begin a thorough search and selection process for a successor.
- BLOK Technologies, BC, Canada, Jan 2019 - BLOK Technologies announced the resignation of President & CEO Robert Dawson. Mr. James Hyland, Director, is serving as President. The company begun a search for a permanent President & CEO. BLOK Technologies engages in the provision of block chain technology services. It offers capital, technology, and management services to produce block chain-enabled business applications.
- Data Deposit Box, ON, Canada, Aug 2019 - Data Deposit Box announced that Tim Jewell, Founder and CEO of Data Deposit Box, passed away August 18th in Toronto, Ontario. In May of this year, the company announced a medical leave of absence for Tim. Siva Cherla is appointed as interim CEO. The Company is a global provider of cloud backup and recovery technology.
- Helix Applications, ON, Canada, Oct 2019 - Helix Applications announced that the ongoing uncertainty around the development timeline for blockchain technologies, which has been well documented over the last year in the mainstream media, and which has been a challenge for the company, the Board of Directors has decided to halt further development of its technologies pending a strategic review of those technologies and operational capabilities. During this period of review, the company will seek to preserve its cash. In light of this decision, Mr. Tom Thompson has decided to pursue alternative opportunities and has resigned as CEO. Rufus Round, director of Helix, has been appointed as interim CEO. Mr. Round acted as CEO of the company from June 2018 to November 2018. Helix Applications is a blockchain-based technology company pushing the boundaries and possibilities of blockchain.
- IRYSTEC, QC, Canada, Aug 2019 - IRYStec Software announced that Simon Morris has resigned from his role as CEO for personal reasons. The IRYStec board of directors has appointed Dr. Rouzbeh Yassini-Fard, Chairman of the board as acting CEO. IRYSTEC is a startup company, leading the perceptual computational display technology.
- First Global Data, ON, Canada, Dec 2018 - First Global Data announced the resignation of its Chairman and CEO, Mr. Andre Itwaru, though the company website still lists him as the CEO. The Company is actively sourcing a replacement CEO and will provide additional updates by way of press release. First Global Data provides electronic payments and transaction processing solutions.
- Cascadia Blockchain Group Corp., BC, Canada, Apr 2019 - Cascadia Blockchain Group announced the appointment of Mr. Robin Guo as the Board member and the Acting President & CEO for the vacancies left behind by Ms. Rachel Wang upon her resignation, though the company website still lists her as the CEO. Cascadia Blockchain Group engages in the development of block chain technology platform.
Open Tech CEO Roles - Rest of the World
- China: China Mobile
- India: Wipro
- France: Criteo S.A.
- Netherlands: ASM International NV
- United Kingdom: Catenae Innovation Plc, Ebiquity Plc, Dods Group Plc
- Sweden: Cherry AB, NCAB, Zutec Holding AB, Ranplan Group AB
- Australia: Adacel Technologies, CSG Limited, Arq Group Limited
- Norway: Cxense ASA
- Gibraltar: Nektan Plc
Details of Open Tech CEO Roles - Rest of the World
- China Mobile, China, Oct 2019 - Li Yue, CEO of China Mobile, stepped down with immediate effect after reaching the mandatory retirement age, leaving the world’s largest operator seeking a replacement. China Mobile announced Li’s departure, but offered no word on a replacement for the former CEO, who had reached the age of 60 years. Li also served as executive director at the company.
- Wipro, India, Jan 2020 - Wipro announced that CEO and Managing Director Abidali Z Neemuchwala has decided to step down due to family commitments. The Board of Directors has initiated a search to identify the next CEO.
- Criteo S.A., France, Dec 2019 - Jean-Baptiste Rudelle, the company’s former CEO and current Chairman, would step down as CEO, and continue to serve as Chairman.
- ASM International NV, Netherlands, Sep 2019 - ASM International NV announced that Mr. Chuck del Prado, CEO, Chairman of the Management Board and President of the company has notified the Supervisory Board that he wishes to retire from the company at the Annual General Meeting of shareholders to be held in May 2020.
- Adacel Technologies Limited, Australia, Aug 2019 - Adacel Technologies Limited appointed CFO Daniel Verret additionally as Acting CEO. The search will be both internally as well as externally.The company is a developer of critical aviation, speech recognition, defense simulation and security systems for government and commercial enterprises.
- Cherry AB, Sweden, May 2018 - Anders Holmgren, CEO and President, left the Swedish gaming company. Gunnar Lind is acting CEO and will remain in this position to ascertain that the group develops according to plan until a permanent CEO is appointed. Swedish Economic Crime Authority initiated an investigation for insider crime as a result of share trading by Cherry’s CEO, Anders Holmgren. Cherry AB’s principal owner is Bridgepoint Europe VI Fund. The Board has resolved to apply for delisting of the Cherry share, series B, from Nasdaq Stockholm.
- Catenae Innovation Plc, United Kingdom, Jul 2019 - Catenae announced the resignation of Tony Sanders as a director of the company. Due to changes in personal circumstances, Tony feels he is unable to commit to continue as CEO and Chair of the Board. Guy Meyer, Business Development Director, will take on the role of Interim CEO to lead the business through the next strategic phase of its development. Catenae Innovation is a British Digital Media and Technology company. Originally a cross media proprietor with holdings in radio, publishing and television, the company now focuses on the digital media and technology sector.
- NCAB Group AB, Sweden, Nov 2019 - The CEO of NCAB, Hans Ståhl, has informed the Board that he wishes to retire from the position of CEO in 2020. The Board of NCAB will now commence the recruitment process to find a new CEO with the aim of accomplishing this during the first half of 2020. Hans Ståhl will remain in the position of CEO until a successor is in place.
- CSG Limited, Australia, Mar 2019 - The Directors of CSG Limited have determined that for the Company's strategic transformation program and growth strategy "CSG 2021" to be best implemented, a change of leadership is required. As a result, Mark Bayliss, CSG's Chairman and Executive Director, has been appointed Acting CEO & Managing Director, and has stepped aside from the Chairman's role. Once "CSG 2021" is further progressed, the Board will undertake a selection process for a CEO & Managing Director. Julie-Ann Kerin has stepped down from the role of CEO & Managing Director and has resigned as a Director of the Company. Kerin has had criminal charges filed against her by Victoria’s Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC). CSG Limited provides print and business technology solutions in Australia and New Zealand.
- Ebiquity Plc, United Kingdom, Nov 2019 - Ebiquity plc announced that Michael Karg will be stepping down as a director and CEO with immediate effect. Ebiquity's CFO Alan Newman will assume the role of interim CEO while the search for a permanent CEO is undertaken. Michael will remain an employee of the business until the end of 2019 to support Alan and ensure a smooth transition and handover period.
- Dods Group Plc, United Kingdom, Jan 2020 - Dods announced that Simon Presswell will be stepping down as a Director and CEO. The search for a permanent CEO has commenced immediately.
- Zutec Holding AB, Sweden, Sep 2019 - Zutec Holding AB (publ) announced that CEO Brendan O'Riordan has tendered his resignation to pursue other career opportunities. The Board has appointed Clíona Farrelly, presently the CFO of the Company, as interim CEO. Zutec develops and markets cloud-based software solutions, primarily directed to companies within the building and construction industry.
- Ranplan Group AB, Sweden, Jun 2019 - Current board member Per Lindberg named as interim CEO. Per Lindberg will remain member of the board. As previously communicated the current CEO Alastair Williamson will relinquish his role as CEO effective 1 September and thereafter be appointed as new member of the board subject to approval by an Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM). Alastair Williamson, Ranplan's CEO and former Head of Sales, has accepted a leadership position within an AIM listed Company based in London, UK. Ranplan is an innovative wireless technology company that has developed world leading software tools for indoor and hybrid indoor/outdoor wireless networks.
- Cxense ASA, Norway, Oct 2019 - Cxense ASA's CEO, Christian Printzell Halvorsen, resigned from his position. Alex Franta from Piano Software has been appointed by the board as interim CEO. Cxense ASA is a company that provides advertising, data-management, search, analytics and content-recommendations services.
- Nektan Plc, Gibraltar, Aug 2019 - Nektan plc announced that Lucy Buckley, the company's CEO, has resigned. Lucy will remain available to the Board for a period of time to enable a smooth transition to a new leadership structure, for which the board has commenced a review. The Group expects to make a further announcement in due course. Gary Shaw, Founder and Executive Director of Nektan, has assumed the role of Interim CEO, in addition to his existing responsibilities for international expansion.
- Arq Group Limited, Australia, Sep 2019 - As a strategic review culminated in the sale of parts of the Arq Group Limited, leaving a smaller, less complex business, CEO Martin Mercer and the Board have agreed that he will be leaving the business in a transitioned and orderly process. The search for a new CEO is currently underway with Tristan Sternson stepping in as interim CEO. Arq Group, previously Melbourne IT Group, is Australia’s leading digital solutions partner.
Tech CEO Appointments
Tech CEO Appointments - US
- Northeast & Mid Atlantic: IBM, NBCUniversal, WeWork, Shutterstock, PeerStream, Logicalis (NY); Care.com, Zoom Telephonics, BitSight Technologies (MA); Wayside Technology, Vislink Technologies (NJ); Net Health Systems and Net Savings Link (PA), Aventri (CT) and Red River Computer Company (NH)
- Midwest: Alliance Data Systems, The Will-Burt Company (OH), Stratasys (MN), Ansira (MO), Motherboard Express Company and Schafer Condon Carter (IL)
- South Central: Match Group, National Instruments, HID Global, Aviat Networks, Bazaarvoice, GlobalSCAPE, TimeClock Plus (TX); Micromeritics Instrument (GA), Otelco (AL)
- South Atlantic: ACI Worldwide and Mojo Data Solutions (FL), The Select Group and MobileSmith (NC), Boxlight (GA), ONSOLVE (FL), IntelliDyne (VA)
- West Mountain: Ivanti Software ( UT), Amtech Systems, AgJunction and enChoice (AZ)
- West Pacific: Cloudera, Nortek Security & Control, Talend S.A., Amobee, Velodyne Lidar, NTN Buzztime, Glassdoor, McorpCX, McAfee, Informatica, Source Photonics, Imperva, Move, Symphony RetailAI (CA)
Tech CEO Appointments in the US Northeast & Mid-Atlantic
- IBM, NY - IBM elected Arvind Krishna, 57, as next CEO and Director. Krishna is currently SVP for Cloud and Cognitive Software, and was a principal architect of the company's acquisition of Red Hat. James Whitehurst, 52, IBM SVP and CEO of Red Hat, was also elected as IBM President. Virginia Rometty, 62, IBM Chairman, President and CEO since 2012, will continue as Executive Chairman and serve through the end of the year, when she will retire after almost 40 years with the company.
- NBCUniversal, NY - Comcast Corporation announced that Stephen B. Burke, Senior EVP of Comcast and President and CEO of its subsidiary NBCUniversal Media, will retire in August 2020. He became Chairman, NBCUniversal and Jeff Shell became the CEO of NBCUniversal. Previously, Shell was Chairman of NBCUniversal Film and Entertainment.
- WeWork, NY - WeWork has named Indian-American real estate veteran Sandeep Mathrani as the new CEO of the company. Mathrani succeeds co-CEOs Artie Minson and Sebastian Gunningham. WeWork operates a community platform that integrates space, community, services, and technology.
- Shutterstock, NY - Shutterstock has appointed Stan Pavlovsky, currently President and COO, as CEO. Shutterstock is a provider of stock photography, stock footage, stock music, and editing tools.
- Care.com, MA - IAC will acquire Care.com for $500 million. Long-time IAC executive Tim Allen appointed as CEO of Care.com. Mr. Allen succeeds Founder, Chairwoman and CEO, Sheila Lirio Marcelo, who announced plans to transition from the CEO position. Care.com operates an online marketplace for finding and managing family care in the United States and internationally.
- Wayside Technology Group, NJ - Wayside Technology Group has promoted Dale Foster to CEO and director. Foster joined Wayside in January 2018 as EVP and was promoted to President of Wayside’s Lifeboat Distribution business in July 2019. Wayside Technology Group operates as an information technology channel company worldwide.
- Net Health Systems, PA - Net Health appointed Josh Pickus CEO. Anthony Sanzo, who served as Net Health's CEO since 2012, becomes Executive Chairman as part of the planned transition. Before this, Pickus served as Net Health's President and Chief Integration Officer following the acquisition of Optima Healthcare Solutions, where he served as CEO. Net Health Systems offers software solutions for healthcare professionals.
- Zoom Telephonics, MA - Frank Manning’s retired as CEO, Acting CFO and Chairman. The board appointed President Joseph L. Wytanis, 60, as CEO. Zoom Telephonics designs, produces, markets, sells, and supports Internet access and other communications-related products.
- Vislink Technologies, NJ - Carleton M. Miller named as the company’s CEO and Director. Previously Co-Founder, CEO, President and Board Member of Blinq Technologies. Vislink Technologies provides wireless communications solutions.
- BitSight Technologies, MA - BitSight has appointed Stephen Harvey as CEO. Harvey joins BitSight from Institutional Shareholder Services (ISS), where he served as COO. Harvey replaces BitSight CEO Tom Turner, who is stepping down after a six-year tenure with the company and will continue to serve as an advisor. BitSight Technologies offers data analytics and security software.
- PeerStream, NY - PeerStream appointed Jason Katz as the CEO, replacing Alex Harrington, who had served in the position since 2015. Katz will also continue to serve as the Company's President, COO and Chairman positions he has held since October 2016. PeerStream operates as a communications software provider that develops security and privacy solutions for video, voice, and text applications and data transmission worldwide.
- Aventri, CT - Jim Sharpe has been appointed CEO. Oni Chukwu has been elevated to Executive Chairman for Aventri after leading the company as CEO for the past six years. Prior to joining Aventri, Sharpe spent six years as GM and Managing Director at Gerson Lehrman Group. Aventri operates a cloud based event management platform.
- Logicalis, NY - Logicalis US announced that Vince DeLuca will transition from his current role as CEO for Logicalis US to Chief Customer Experience and Service Transformation Officer for the Logicalis Group. Jonathan Groves will assume the role of CEO US. Jonathan joins Logicalis from IT solutions provider ConvergeOne, where he held the position of EVP, US East. Logicalis provides managed IT services and global technology solutions.
- Red River Computer Company, NH - Red River promoted Alan Dumas to CEO. Dumas served as Red River’s Chief Revenue Officer, as well as the President of Red River’s Commercial and SLED divisions. Red River Computer Company provides security, network, and cloud solutions to commercial, civilian, defense, intelligence, and healthcare markets.
- Net Savings Link, PA - Jake P. Noch, the Founder and CEO of The U.S. Performing Rights Organization, Pro Music Rights, has been appointed as the CEO of Net Savings Link, a medical cannabis technology and software company.
Tech CEO Appointments in the US Midwest Region
- Alliance Data Systems, OH - Alliance Data Systems Corporation has appointed Ralph J. Andretta as the Company’s President, CEO and a member of the Board. Mr. Andretta served most recently as the Managing Director and Head of US Cards for Citigroup where he was employed in various roles since 2011.
- Stratasys, MN - Stratasys appointed Yoav Zeif as the company’s new CEO. Interim CEO Elchanan (Elan) Jaglom will continue in his role as Chairman for the subsequent three months and step down from his role. Zeif was President of the Americas Division, Head of Product Offering and Chief Commercial Officer at Netafim, the micro-irrigation company. Stratasys provides 3D printing solutions.
- Ansira, MO - Ansira Partners announced that Jay Dettling has joined the company as CEO, effective February 3. Laurie MacLaren, who previously served as CEO, in addition to her role as Chief Financial and Operating Officer, will remain as CFO/COO on the Ansira executive team. In his new role as CEO, Dettling will be responsible for growing Ansira's business, building the company's client roster, developing and attracting talent, and expanding Ansira's capabilities. Dettling most recently serving as VP of global partners at Adobe, one of Ansira's technology partners, where he grew the partner ecosystem and integrated the Marketo and Magento ecosystems. Ansira operates as a marketing technology and services company that helps brands orchestrate, personalize, and contextualize customer engagements.
- Motherboard Express Company, IL - Chris Tucker promoted to CEO. Previously, Director of Business Development, VP of Customer Engagement and most recently President. Motherboard Express Company provides purpose-built hardware appliances and embedded systems for application developers and service providers worldwide.
- Schafer Condon Carter, IL - Richard McDonald has joined the agency as CEO, replacing David Selby, who has been promoted to Co-Chairman and Chief Product Officer. McDonald joins SCC after seven years at Epsilon Agency. Schafer Condon Carter provides social marketing, sponsorship publicity, and issues services.
- The Will-Burt Company, OH - Richard J. Lewin is the company's new CEO, president, and Director. Mr. Lewin succeeds retiring CEO Jeffry O. Evans, who has led the company since 2002. Most recently, Richard has held the titles of COO and President. The Will-Burt Company manufactures mobile telescoping mast and tower solutions.
Tech CEOs Appointed in the US South Central Region
- Match Group, TX - President Shar Dubey replaces Mandy Ginsberg as CEO. Ginsberg has been with Match since 2006.
- National Instruments, TX - Eric Starkloff, current NI president and COO, has been appointed as President, CEO and Director.
- HID Global Corporation, TX - HID Global announced Björn Lidefelt has been named President and CEO. Björn joins the company after serving as Chief Commercial Officer (CCO) at HID parent company ASSA ABLOY. HID Global Corporation manufactures access control cards.
- Aviat Networks, TX - Aviat Networks named Peter Smith as President and CEO. Stan Gallagher, who took on the additional role as Interim CEO in September 2019, will remain with the Company, serving as COO and Principal Financial Officer. Mr. Smith most recently served as SVP, US Windows and Canada for Jeld-Wen. Aviat Networks designs, manufactures, and sells a range of wireless networking products, solutions, and services.
- Bazaarvoice, TX - Bazaarvoice has appointed Keith Nealon as CEO. Joe Davis of Marlin Equity Partners has served as CEO since Marlin Equity acquired Bazaarvoice in February 2018 and he will transition out of the CEO role and return to his original role as Operating Executive. Most recently, Nealon was the Chairman and CEO of financial technology platform Vyze, which was acquired by Mastercard in 2019. Bazaarvoice provides marketing tools to retailer and brand clients for understanding consumer voice.
- Micromeritics Instrument Corporation, GA - SFW’s Operating Partner Terry Kelly will become the CEO of Micromeritics while Preston Hendrix will transition to the role of Chairman of the Board. Micromeritics provides materials characterization analytical laboratory instrumentation and services.
- Otelco, AL - Richard A. Clark, the current President will also be appointed CEO and elected as a director of the Company. The position of CEO of the Company was previously held by Mr. Robert J. Souza, who will retire as CEO and as a director of the Company, as well as from all positions with the Company’s subsidiaries. Otelco provides a range of telecom services on a retail and wholesale basis.
- GlobalSCAPE, TX - Chairman and iCEO Robert Alpert has been appointed as CEO. GlobalSCAPE develops and distributes software, delivers managed and hosted solutions, and provides associated services for secure information exchange, and data transfer and sharing for enterprises and consumers worldwide.
- TimeClock Plus, TX - TimeClock Plus has appointed Eric Thurston as CEO. Most recently he served as the president and CEO of Personify. TimeClock Plus develops, sells, and supports time and attendance software solutions for employee labor tracking.
Tech CEOs Appointed in the US South Atlantic Region
- ACI Worldwide, FL - Odilon Almeida has been appointed as President, CEO and Director. Mr. Almeida joins ACI having most recently served as an Operating Partner at Advent International. ACI Worldwide provides software products and services for facilitating electronic payments to banks, financial intermediaries, merchants, and corporates worldwide.
- The Select Group, NC - The Select Group (TSG) announced that founder and CEO Sheldon Wolitski will be moving into a chairman of the board position to focus on strategic initiatives. George Karakostantis, previously EVP of strategic accounts and operations, has been named the new CEO for the fast-growing technical services firm. The Select Group provides IT recruiting and placement services.
- Boxlight Corporation, GA - Board member Harold Bevis has been named its Chairman and CEO. Mark Elliott, who had served as Chairman and CEO since September 2014, will continue to serve the Company in the role of Chief Commercial Officer and Director. Boxlight received additional $750,000 investment from The Lind Partners recently. Boxlight Corporation, an education technology company, develops, sells, and services interactive classroom solutions for the education market worldwide.
- ONSOLVE, FL - OnSolve appointed Mark Herrington as CEO. Herrington is a technology and private equity veteran. Herrington most recently served as an Operating Executive at Marlin Equity Partners, in addition to serving as Executive Chairman of various private equity-backed firms including Challenger Inc., FrontStream, and Aprimo. ONSOLVE develops and provides SaaS-based critical event management and emergency notification solutions.
- MobileSmith, NC - Randy Tomlin, Chairman and current President and CEO of MobileSmith, commenced a leave of absence from his responsibilities as President and CEO due to family health reasons. Mr. Tomlin will continue in his role of Chairman of the Board. Jerry Lepore, a member of the Board, was appointed as President and CEO. In his 40 year career he has held CEO, COO and CTO positions in public and private companies. MobileSmith provides operational improvement member-facing mobile application services to the healthcare industry.
- IntelliDyne, VA - IntelliDyne appointed Robert Grey to the role of CEO. Grey founded the company in 1999 and served as CEO through a decade. Grey's return marked the departure of Tony Crescenzo, who served for 6 years as IntelliDyne's CEO after leaving his role as Partner at management consulting firm Achievence. IntelliDyne provides IT consulting services.
- Mojo Data Solutions, FL - Wade Decker was appointed Chairman and CEO of MOJO Data Solutions. Daniel Sobolewski resigned as the Interim Chairman and CEO and as a director. Decker is founder of Decker Mechanical. Mojo Data Solutions engages in the development of smartphone applications which enables consumers to interact with traditional media.
Tech CEOs Appointed in the US West
- Ivanti Software, UT - Jim Schaper, Ivanti's current Chairman has been appointed CEO. Ivanti's longtime CEO Steve Daly has retired but will continue to serve as a Board Member. Ivanti Software provides IT management software solutions.
- Amtech Systems, AZ - Amtech Systems announced the promotion of COO Mr. Michael Whang to CEO. Mr. J.S. Whang, the Company's former CEO, will continue in his capacity as Executive Chairman. Amtech sold off its solar business to fully focus on semiconductor and silicon carbide businesses. Amtech Systems manufactures and sells capital equipment and related consumables for use in fabricating silicon carbide (SiC), silicon power chips, electronic assemblies, and light-emitting diodes (LEDs).
- AgJunction, AZ - M. Brett McMickell, Ph.D., the Company’s current COO has been appointed president and CEO, as well director. AgJunction provides guidance and auto-steering solutions for precision agriculture applications worldwide.
- enChoice, AZ - enChoice announced that, with the merger of enChoice and Adjacent Technologies completed, Adjacent's acting CEO Dave Parks has been appointed as CEO of the merged company. Tony White, the previous enChoice CEO, has become Executive Chairman. enChoice provides end-to-end enterprise content management solutions and services.
- Cloudera, CA - Cloudera named Robert Bearden as President and CEO. Most recently, served as CEO of Docker. He was co-founder and CEO of Hortonworks, which merged into Cloudera a year ago and has been a board member since then. He replaces interim CEO Marty Cole, who retired.
- Nortek Security & Control, CA - Nortek Security & Control has named Christopher Larocca as CEO. Prior to joining NSC, Larocca was the CEO at Luminance Brands, a consortium of seven leading divisions that developed and manufactured lighting products, energy controls, connected home and smart lighting solutions.
- Talend S.A., CA - Talend appointed Christal Bemont, former chief revenue officer at SAP Concur, as its CEO and director. Mike Tuchen, who led Talend through a successful transformation over the last 6 years from a $50 million startup to a $250 million publicly-held company, is stepping down as CEO, and will remain on the Board. Talend S.A. provides software platform to address IT integration needs in various industries.
- Amobee, CA - Samba Natarajan, CEO of Singtel’s Group Digital Life, has been appointed CEO of Amobee, replacing Kim Perell who stepped down to pursue her passion of supporting startup entrepreneurs. Amobee, a marketing technology company, provides platform-based video, mobile, display, and TV advertising solutions for agencies and brands worldwide.
- Velodyne Lidar, CA - Velodyne Lidar announced its CTO Anand Gopalan as its new CEO, replacing founder David Hall. Hall will continue as Chairman. Velodyne Lidar develops and manufactures light detection and ranging sensors.
- NTN Buzztime, CA - NTN Buzztime appointed interim CEO Allen Wolff as company's CEO and director. Former CFO of the company. NTN Buzztime provides interactive entertainment and dining technology to bars and restaurants in the United States and Canada.
- Glassdoor, CA - Glassdoor announced that president and COO Christian Sutherland-Wong is leading the company as CEO. Glassdoor co-founder and former CEO Robert Hohman is remaining with Glassdoor as chairman.
- McorpCX, CA - Matthew Kruchko has been appointed as the Company's President and CEO. Mr. Gregg Budoi, the Company's Interim President and CEO, resigned from both positions. Kruchko is former Managing Director, ConsilieX. McorpCX provides customer experience management solutions.
- McAfee, CA - McAfee has appointed Peter Leav to the role of CEO. Leav will succeed Chris Young, who has decided to step down as CEO. Leav most recently served as President, CEO and a board member of BMC Software.
- Informatica, CA - Informatica has named President of Products and Marketing Amit Walia CEO. Amit succeeds Anil Chakravarthy.
- Source Photonics, CA - Source Photonics named Weiming Li as President and CEO. Li succeeds former CEO, Doug Wright, who resigned from the company. Li is former General Manager of the company. Source Photonics provides optical communication solutions, components, and sub-systems.
- Imperva, CA - Imperva has appointed Pam Murphy, a seasoned executive in enterprise software,as CEO. Interim CEO Charles Goodman will continue to serve as chairman of the board. Pam previously served as COO of Infor. Imperva engages in the development, market, sale, and support of cyber security solutions that protect business critical data and applications in the cloud or on premises worldwide.
- Move, CA - David Doctorow will become CEO of Move. Mr. Doctorow joins Move from eBay where he served as Head of Global Growth, eBay Marketplaces, since 2016. Mr. Doctorow succeeds Tracey Fellows, who has served as Move’s interim CEO since June. Move operates an online network of Websites for real estate search in North America.
- Symphony RetailAI, CA - Symphony RetailAI named Chris Koziol as CEO and director. Dr. Pallab Chatterjee, who previously served as CEO, has retired. Koziol most recently served as president and CEO of Aspect Software. Symphony RetailAI offers artificial intelligence solutions platform to food and grocery retailers.
Tech CEO Appointments - Canada
- Ontario: Security Compass, Graph Blockchain
- British Columbia: Glance Technologies, Cryptobloc Technologies Corp.
- Quebec: BCE Inc.
Tech CEO Appointments - Canada
- BCE Inc., QC, Canada - BCE Inc. welcomed COO Mirko Bibic as President and CEO, following George Cope's retirement in January 2020.
- Security Compass, ON, Canada - Security Compass announced it has secured growth equity funding from FTV Capital and COO Rohit Sethi named as CEO. Security Compass develops web security software.
- Graph Blockchain, ON, Canada - Graph Blockchain named Govinda Butcher to CEO and Director replacing Mr. Jeff Stevens, Interim CEO and Chairman. Butcher built his first company (We Move People), which he subsequently exited successfully, then became President and CEO of a successful recruitment business.
- Glance Technologies, BC, Canada - Interim CEO Jonathan Hoyles named as CEO. Former Chief Commercial Officer and General Counsel since June 2018. Glance Technologies, a financial technology company, develops and operates mobile payment processing software and smart-phone applications.
- Cryptobloc Technologies Corp., BC, Canada - Cryptobloc Technologies Corp. announced the appointment of Bryson Goodwin as the CEO, interim CFO and director of the Company, replacing Robert Abenante in his current role. Most recently he has held C-level executive positions in a banking and finance capacity.
Tech CEO Appointments - Rest of the World
- South Korea: Samsung Electronics
- Netherlands: VEON
- Israel: B Communications
- Denmark: TDC A/S
- Cyprus: Qiwi Plc
- India: MakeMyTrip
- United Kingdom: First Derivatives Plc, Argo Blockchain Plc
- Jersey: Audioboom Group Plc
Tech CEO Appointment Details - Rest of the World
- Samsung Electronics, South Korea - President Roh Tae-moon has been named its new mobile CEO taking over from co-CEO DJ Koh. Roh joined Samsung in 1997 and has been a key player in the R&D of the Galaxy device lineups.
- VEON, Netherlands - VEON appointed Sergi Herrero and Kaan TerzioÄŸlu as co-CEOs. Ursula Burns, who was appointed as Executive Chairman in July 2017 and CEO in December 2018, will remain as the company's Chairman. Sergi and Kaan become co-CEOs following four months as VEON's Joint COOs. VEON provides mobile and fixed-line telecommunications services.
- B Communications Ltd., Israel - Tomer Raved has been appointed as the Company's new CEO and Director, replacing Mr. Ami Barlev. Tomer joins the Company from RBC Investment Bank, where he was a Director and a VP since 2016.
- TDC A/S, Denmark - TDC has named Henrik Clausen as its new CEO, moving from the same role at Bang Olufsen. Clausen has previous experience in the telecoms industry, having been CEO at Telenor Denmark from 2005 to 2010.
- Qiwi Plc, Cyprus - QIWI Plc announced that Mr. Boris Kim, a founding member of the Company and Chairman of the Board since 2013, will take on the position of the CEO, following the resignation of Mr. Sergey Solonin, who has served in this capacity since 2012. Solonin will continue to serve on the board and will become executive chairman. Qiwi Plc operates electronic online payment systems.
- MakeMyTrip, India - Deep Kalra, group CEO has stepped down, with cofounder Rajesh Magow, who was heading its India business, taking over Kalra's role. Kalra will now serve as Executive Chairman. MakeMyTrip is an online travel company.
- First Derivatives Plc, United Kingdom - Seamus Keating appointed as CEO, succeeding the Group's founder, Brian Conlon, who passed away in July 2019. A qualified accountant, Seamus held a number of senior roles at Logica Plc until its acquisition in 2012 by CGI Group, including CFO, COO, President of the Benelux region and chair of its worldwide Financial Services practice. First Derivatives Plc provides software and consulting services internationally.
- Audioboom Group Plc, Jersey - COO and interim CEO Stuart Last has been appointed CEO. Audioboom engages in the provision of podcast services. Its spoken word platform offers different audio genres such as news, sports, current affairs, true crime, and entertainment.
- Argo Blockchain Plc, United Kingdom - Peter Wall has been appointed as the company's CEO. Mike Edwards will remain the Company's executive chairman. Peter was a member of the management team that founded Argo and has been VP of Operations since then. Argo Blockchain engages in the provision of crypto mining services worldwide.
Vell Executive Search Representative Placements
About Vell Executive Search
- Deep tech industry retained search experience
- More dedicated time as consultants have few parallel projects.
- Thorough understanding of your company’s business and culture
- Behavioral interviews and competency scorecards.
- Constant two-way, direct communication and 24 /7 availability.
- Insightful and detailed reference checking
- Broad reach of candidates: no hidden relationships. No off-limits.
- Analytics based search process.
Vell Executive Search Contact