Geographic Distribution of Open Tech Roles
In this Edition
- Open Tech Function Roles - North America by Function
- Open Tech Function Roles - Rest of World by Function
- Tech Function Appointments - North America by Function
- Tech Function Appointments - Rest of World by Function
- Vell Executive Search Representative Placements
- About Vell Executive Search
The tech functions we cover in this newsletter are: EVP, Tech and Ops, CIO, CTO, Chief Digital Officer, Chief Product Officer (Product development and engineering), Data Science, Data Chiefs, Data Analytics chiefs (tech data analytics chiefs), Security, Privacy Chiefs, Blockchain chiefs.
Hope you enjoy this newsletter and find it useful. Suggestions and corrections are most welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks again and all the best,
Vell Executive Search is a retained executive search firm that specializes in recruiting technology execs for boards and executive roles, including Board Members, CEOs, Presidents, GMs, CTOs/Chief Digital Officers/VP Engineering, as well as tech executives and board members for the technology industry. Vell has built a reputation for recruiting talented high-performing leadership teams globally. www.vell.com.
Open Tech Roles
- CVS Health, RI, December 2017 - CVS Health CIO Stephen Gold left the company to pursue professional opportunities outside CVS Health.
- Medtronic, MN, Jan 2019 - Medtronic CIO Michael Hedges is retiring. The company is looking for a replacement. Medtronic is a global leader in medical technology, services, and solutions.
- State Street Global Advisors, MA, Nov 2018 - The Corporate CIO’s role is to provide leadership for developing and implementing business and strategic technology initiatives. The Corporate Chief Information Officer directs the local planning, prioritization, and implementation of Business and Enterprise IT systems in support of corporate business operations, including end user computing, in order to improve cost effectiveness, service quality, and business mission development.
- Valmont Industries, NE, Sept 2018 - John A. Kehoe, SVP, IT of Valmont Industries, resigned from his position with the company to pursue other opportunities. No replacement announced yet.
- Amplify Credit Union, TX, Feb 2019 - Amplify Credit Union is seeking a SVP-CIO to lead the technological and informational needs of the organization. The SVP-CIO will work closely with the Chief Experience Officer to ensure that the technology we provide provides our members with the best banking experience possible.
- Ellie Mae, CA, Nov 2018 - Peter Hirsch, EVP, Technology and Operations of the company, will be leaving the company effective January 2, 2019. No replacement has been announced yet.
- Ameris Bancorp, GA, Dec 2018 - The company announced the retirement of Joseph B. Kissel, the company’s EVP & CIO, effective as of December 31, 2018.
- Kinsale Capital Group, VA, Nov 2018 - William J. Kenney, Jr. notified Kinsale Capital Group that he will be stepping down from his current role as SVP & CIO, effective July 1, 2019, and transition to a new part-time consulting role managing critical development projects for the Company as well as other endeavors unrelated to the Company.
- Spok Holdings, VA, Aug 2018 - Thomas G. Saine, 55, the CIO of Virginia based global leader in healthcare communications Spok Holdings, passed away unexpectedly. Mr. Saine served as CIO of the Company since August 2008, and previously served as the company's CTO, President of GTES, an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of the company, VP of Corporate Technical Operations and VP, Technology and Integration.
- University of Oklahoma, OK, Jun 2017 - Eddie Huebsch has been named interim CIO at the University. Huebsch has served OU IT for more than 16 years in a variety of leadership roles, most recently as associate VP of technology advancement.
- Biotest, FL, Jan 2018 - Stuart Kippelman has taken on the temporary role of Interim CIO at the pharmaceutical company.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, D.C., Aug 2018 - Beth Killoran, who served as CIO for HHS for the past two years, will help develop a strategic IT plan for the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, shifting roles. HHS CTO Ed Simcox will stand in as acting CIO. The move follows other high-level IT staff departures at the health agency this year, including the loss of former CTO Bruce Greenstein, as well as its CISO.
- T.D. Williamson, OK, Nov 2018 - The company is seeking a CIO to direct the information systems activities, including systems strategy, design, programming and procedures, and operation of computer and related IT equipment for TDW’s world-wide operation. T. D. Williamson, Inc. develops and manufactures pipeline equipment and provides services for onshore and offshore applications.
- Masco Cabinetry, MI, Sep 2018 - Masco Cabinetry is seeking a CIO who will partner with its business leaders to develop and execute an IT strategy in support of the business goals.
- Strata Information Group, CA, Nov 2018 - Strata is looking for a CIO to fill an opening in San Francisco. The ideal CIO candidate must have prior experience in managing technology organizations and delivery of technology services to both the administrative and instructional communities in a college or university. Strata Information Group (SIG) assists colleges and universities with information technology initiatives
- The Rawlings Group, KY, Dec 2018 - The Rawlings Group is seeking a CIO, who will have major initiatives that include strategy, leadership, team development and IT operations.
- Mirror Show Management, NY, Dec 2018 - The company is looking for a CIO with proven experience as CIO or similar C level role. Mirror Show Management (MSM) is a woman-owned customer experience agency specializing in exhibits, events and environments.
- Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA), MA, Feb 2019 - MBTA seeks an experienced CIO to direct and oversee the overall activities of the MBTA's Information Technology (IT) Department and contribute to the overall business strategy development, bringing current knowledge and future vision of leveraging information and technology.
- The Wonderful Company, CA, Jan 2019 - The Wonderful Company is conducting a search for an experienced Chief Information Officer (CIO) accountable for defining and delivering IT strategy and capabilities across the enterprise. This includes data analytics and business intelligence, development and support, infrastructure, security and technical services.
- The Computer History Museum, CA, Jan 2019 - The Computer History Museum, the nonprofit organization with a four-decade history as the world’s leading institution exploring the history of computing and its ongoing impact on society, is seeking a VP & CIO.
- KGPCo, KS, Jan 2019 - KGPCo, a leading provider of complete, customized and scalable supply chain and network transformation solutions for the communications industry, is looking for a CIO to drive their IT and automation strategy.
- Xanterra Travel Collection, CO, Jan 2019 - Xanterra Travel Collection, owned by The Anschutz Corporation (TAC), a growing group of travel and leisure businesses, is looking for a CIO, reporting to the CEO, responsible for the overall IT strategy and the Company's technology application and performance.
Chief Technology Officers (Non Tech Vendor Product/ CIO/IT)
- AutoNation, FL, Jan 2019 - EVP and CTO, Tom Conophy, will be leaving the Company amid restructuring. The restructuring comes as analysts forecast a dip in U.S. vehicle sales this year. New vehicle sales in the United States are expected to drop as higher interest rates and rising prices could prompt customers to hold off their car-buying plans, the National Automobile Dealers Association said last month. AutoNation, through its subsidiaries, operates as an automotive retailer in the United States.
- U.S. Auto Parts Network, CA, Jan 2019 - U.S. Auto Parts Network announced that Roger Hoffmann, the company’s CTO, resigned from the company. U.S. Auto Parts Network, together with its subsidiaries, operates as an online provider of aftermarket auto parts and accessories primarily in the United States and the Philippines.
CTOs - Tech Products/ Tech Strategy
- Analog Devices, MA, Sept 2018 - Peter Real informed Analog Devices that he was resigning from his position as SVP and CTO of the Company, due to health reasons. Before the CTO role, he was VP, High Speed Products. There is still no announcement on who will replace him.
- Conformis, MA, Sep 2018 - Daniel Steines, M.D, M.S., CTO, of Conformis, announced his resignation from the company. He will assist the company in transitioning his responsibilities to other executive officers through the date of his departure and will continue to serve as a consultant to the company following his departure.
- Accelerize, CA, Feb 2018 - Dave Stewart, CTO of Accelerize, resigned from his position. Accelerize Inc. provides software solutions for businesses to enhance their digital advertising spend in the United States, Europe, and internationally.
- FISION Corporation, MN, Jun 2018 - Effective Jun 15, 2018, Wade Anderson resigned as CTO (as well as Chief Product Officer). The Company develops proprietary cloud-based software solutions to automate the marketing functions and activities of its customers.
- Rapchat, OH, Jan 2019 - Rapchat, a VC-backed, reputable and growing mobile app dedicated to helping millions of seasoned and aspiring rappers from around the globe, is looking for a CTO.
- Kaiser Permanente, CA, May 2017- Chief Data Officer Matt Widwick went to Barclay’s as Head of Global Data Management on May 2017. The job has been open and listed on various sites.
- Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, NY, Jan 2019 - MGM is looking for a Chief Data Officer who will support our product, sales, leadership and marketing teams in their LA and NY offices with insights gained from analyzing data.
- Zoom Information, MA, Jan 2019 - In second quarter of this year, the team will be augmented with the addition of a chief data officer (CDO). Zoom Information develops business-to-business (B2B) data and business information solutions for customers in sales, marketing, recruiting, or other businesses.
- ChenMed, FL, Jul 2018 - ChenMed, Miami based primary care medical centers for seniors, is seeking Chief Data Officer (CDO) who will be responsible for the design, development, deployment, maintenance, enhancement and support of hardware/software for struanizing, storing, retrieving, analyzing, and reporting strategic enterprise information and operational/production data. The level of the role is unclear.
- Adobe, CA, Jan 2019 - Adobe announced that EVP and General Manager of its Digital Experience business Brad Rencher will be leaving the company. After a busy year of acquisitions Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen is overhauling Adobe’s Digital Experience business to make room for Marketo and Magento. No replacement has been announced yet.
- WSFS Bank, DE, Jan 2019 - WSFS Bank is currently seeking a Chief Digital Officer. The Chief Digital Officer will report to the Bank’s Chief Technology Officer and is responsible for planning, managing, directing, developing and implementing complex business initiatives within the organization related to the Bank’s Delivery Transformation initiative and related work streams.
Security Chiefs/ CISOs
- General Dynamics, TX, Feb 2019 - General Dynamics is seeking a CISO under its Data Center Services (DCS) program, which includes scope for a Private Cloud, Computing, and Data Center Facility Management. The data centers and private cloud capabilities through the DCS provide the central hub of all computing for DCS Customers that require infrastructure services on which to build and operate their applications. The CISO will be responsible for security strategy, security program oversight and security architecture development and implementation for the organization.
- DXC Technology, VA, Jan 2019 - DXC is seeking a CISO to provide senior leadership and oversight of the DXC global security architecture.
- 8x8, CA, Dec 2018 - 8x8 continues to execute on its vision and path a leading provider of enterprise cloud communications solutions and newly created a CISO leadership position, which will have a meaningful seat at the table with influence over the Chief Product Officer, Engineering, CEO and CFO while ensuring that 8x8 is seen as a leader in security.
- Zoom Information, MA, Jan 2019 - In second quarter of this year, the CIO will be joined by a new chief information security officer (CISO).
- GuidePoint Security, FL, Aug 2018 - GuidePoint Security is seeking a CISO (“CISO”), who will be responsible for securing GuidePoint’s operations, both internally and client-facing. GuidePoint’s CISO also serves as GuidePoint’s CTO, and is responsible for GuidePoint’s technology decisions and implementations.
- Seattle Children's, WA, Aug 2018 - The children's hospital CISO serves as the senior information security leader and HIPAA Information Security Officer for Seattle Children’s. The position has primary accountability for providing strategic leadership and direction to develop information security practices that minimize risk and create a strong information security posture for Seattle Children’s.
- Checkr, CA, Jan 2019 - Checkr is looking for Chief Information Security Officer to build and lead a world-class Security organization that will be responsible for our business’ information security, risk, and compliance activities.
Rest of the World
Open Tech Chief Roles
Chief Information Officers / CTOs as CIOs
- Eltek, Israel, Jul 2018 - Eltek Ltd. announced that it received notice from Mr. Avi Gal, the company's VP COO & CIO of his resignation due to personal reasons. Eltek Ltd. manufactures, markets, and sells printed circuit boards (PCBs) in Israel, Europe, North America, India, and internationally.
- Compagnie Financière Richemont, Switzerland, May 2018 - Dr. Jean-Jacques Van Oosten has relinquished his responsibilities as CTO of the Swiss luxury goods giant, for personal reasons after a brief period of the newly created role.
- Manila Electric Company, Philippines, Jun 2018 - The company announced that Mr. Ernie G. Imperial, VP and Head, Corporate Information and Technology of the company, will be resigning, to explore other career opportunities.
Chief Data Officers
- Publicis Groupe, France, Jul 2018 - Publicis Groupe chief data officer Jason Kodish announced his resignation. As Chief Data Officer, Kodish has been driving the collective power of the talent within the Data and Analytics practices within the Groupe, working as a leadership team that is uniting a team of more than 3,500 engineers, data scientists, analysts and tech leaders. The company is looking for Kodish's successor.
- Equiniti, UK, Dec 2018 - The UK-based Fin Tech and Business Process Outsourcer is searching for a CISO who will lead the Group Information Security team and is a member of the Group IT Leadership team. This role is essential to the IT and business strategy, by enabling Equiniti to maintain a competitive edge through its robust security management framework.
Tech Chief Appointments in North America
- Cardinal Health, OH - Cardinal Health announced that Brian Rice will join the company as EVP, CIO and customer support services. Rice's most recent role was SVP, CIO and global business services for Kellogg Company. In his new role at Cardinal Health, he will report to Mike Kaufmann, CEO of Cardinal Health.
- The Kroger Co., OH - The Kroger Co. announced that Christopher T. Hjelm, EVP and CIO, will be succeeded by Yael Cosset, Kroger's chief digital officer. Mr. Hjelm will remain EVP, reporting to Chairman and CEO Rodney McMullen, until his retirement on August 1, 2019. Mr. Cosset will assume responsibility for the Kroger Technology function in addition to his current Kroger Digital portfolio underscoring the strategic integration of digital and technology initiatives to deliver customers anything, anytime, anywhere.
- Wells Fargo & Company, CA - Wells Fargo & Company has named Saul Van Beurden as its head of Technology, a new role Wells Fargo announced in October 2018. Van Beurden most recently served as CIO of consumer and community banking at JPMorgan Chase. He will report directly to Wells Fargo CEO and President Tim Sloan.
- Science Applications International Corporation, VA - Science Applications International Corp. (SAIC) announced that Nathan G. Rogers will assume the role of CIO reporting to SAIC CEO Tony Moraco. Rogers succeeds Bob Fecteau who retires from the company in April. Prior to joining SAIC, Rogers was the CIO for Engility, which was acquired by SAIC earlier this year, and has served in various diversified IT, financial, shared services, and operational management roles for Engility, as well as its legacy companies.
- Ventas, IL - Ventas announced Bhavana Devulapally as CIO. Devulapally joins Ventas from Hyatt Hotels Corporation where she has spent the last 12 years driving transformational change through technology. Ventas, an S&P 500 company, is a leading real estate investment trust.
- Pier 1 Imports, TX - Pier 1 Imports announced that it has appointed Lance Wills as EVP, CIO. Most recently, Mr. Wills served as EVP, Global Technology Officer for Toys RUs from 2016 to 2018. Prior to that, he spent three years with American Eagle as VP, Global Head of Digital Technology from 2013 to 2016, and six years with Macy’s as VP, Digital Technology. Pier 1 Imports engages in the retail sale of decorative accessories, furniture, candles, housewares, gifts, and seasonal products.
- Cubic Corporation, CA - Cubic Corporation appointed Dan Hedstrom as VP and CIO to lead a broad range of IT initiatives. Hedstrom will report to Bradley H. Feldmann, chairman, president and CEO. Before transitioning to CIO for Cubic, he served as the VP of system solutions and services for the Cubic Transportation Systems (CTS) business division.
- Choice Hotels International, MD - Choice Hotels International announced Jason Simpson has joined the company as VP of engineering. In this role, Simpson will lead the company's corporate IT organization. He has held key leadership positions at companies, such as GoDaddy where he was the CTO for the state of Arizona, and most recently, led the engineering team at a Phoenix-based startup to develop API-based digital commerce experiences.
- Trustmark National Bank, MS - Trustmark Corporation announced that David C. Kennedy has been named EVP and CIO of Trustmark National Bank. Mr. Kennedy has more than 20 years of experience, with his most recent leadership role as CTO of Stone Energy Corporation in Lafayette, Louisiana. Trustmark National Bank provides personal and business banking services in Mississippi.
- Mortgage Guaranty Insurance Corporation, WI - Mortgage Guaranty Insurance Corporation announced the promotion of Robert J. Candelmo to SVP - CIO, with the retirement of Gregory Chi, SVP - CIO. Mr. Candelmo joined MGIC in 2014 as VP CTO, overseeing MGIC's technology vision and strategy as well as leading the execution for infrastructure platforms, data and architecture practice.
- GAIN Capital Holdings, NJ - GAIN Capital Holdings named Boris Levine as Head of IT Development. He will report to Alastair Hine, COO of GAIN Capital, and will be based in GAIN's London office. Levine joins GAIN Capital from IG Group, where he spent the past 16 years, most recently serving as the Chief Architecture Officer, responsible for technical architecture & strategy as well as the development of real time pricing and risk management systems.
- DIRTT Environmental Solutions, AB - Mark Greffen, a 14-year DIRTT veteran, has moved into the role of SVP, software development. In this role, Greffen will lead DIRTT’s technological innovation and the ongoing development and integration of software into the business flows and processes of DIRTT’s digital construction approach. DIRTT’s VP of software development, Barrie Loberg, is no longer with the company. DIRTT Environmental Solutions Ltd. designs, manufactures, and installs customized prefabricated interiors.
- Cadence Aerospace, CA - Cadence Aerospace appointed Kevin W. Martin as the Company’s CIO, reporting to Thomas C. Hutton, CEO for Cadence Aerospace. With more than 30 years of industry experience, Mr. Martin joins Cadence Aerospace after having served Pratt & Whitney (P&W)—an American aerospace manufacturer with global service operations and subsidiary of United Technologies Corporation (UTC)—for the majority of his career. Cadence Aerospace manufactures components, subassemblies, and assemblies, as well as provides repair and overhaul services for the manufacturers of aircraft, aerostructures, aeroequipment, and other defense platforms.
- North American Savings Bank, MO - NASB Financial and North American Savings Bank, F.S.B. appointed Tim Bachta as NASB's EVP and CIO. Mr. Bachta comes to NASB after serving three years as Chief IT Officer of Shamrock Trading Corporation in Overland Park, KS. North American Savings Bank, F.S.B. provides retail and commercial banking products and services.
- Command Alkon Incorporated, AL - Command Alkon added Doug Moore as VP of Cloud Platform. In his role, Doug will bolster the company's long-term technology vision, be responsible for the cloud platform and drive key cloud technology topics such as scalability, security, analytics, and information access. Prior to joining Command Alkon, Doug served in a number of roles at several software and technology companies. Most recently, he was VP, Applied Research at Guidewire Software. Command Alkon develops hardware and software systems for producers, suppliers, and haulers of ready-mixed concrete, concrete products, aggregate, asphalt, and cement worldwide.
- Integra Connect, FL - Integra Connect has appointed Robert Hendricks as President of Technology Solutions and CIO, assuming responsibility for all product and technology delivery to support Integra Connect's lines of business. Prior to Integra Connect, Robert was the SVP of Operations and CTO for McKesson Technology Solutions for 14 years. Integra Connect delivers a comprehensive, integrated suite of cloud-based technologies and services that enable specialty groups to optimize clinical and financial performance as reimbursement shifts to value-based models.
- Zoom Information, MA - Zoom Information appointed Seth Low to the position of CIO. Low, who joined the company in 2015, will be a member of the ZoomInfo executive team. Low’s appointment is the first in a series of moves that will further elevate importance of data privacy and security to the ZoomInfo executive suite.
- VIQ Solutions, ON - VIQ Solutions appointed Gilles-André Morin as CIO. He will also oversee the expansion and integration of the company's newly acquired transcription services organization creating efficiency and scale utilizing innovative artificial intelligence to augment transcriptionist workflow, supporting speed and accuracy, while reducing overall cost to create documentation. VIQ Solutions operates as a technology and service platform provider for digital evidence capture, retrieval, and content management.
- Pike Corporation, NC - Pike Corporation has hired Paul Ramsay as CIO. As CIO at Pike, Ramsay will be responsible for supporting day-to-day operations and will lead some major initiatives, including implementing Oracle Cloud technology, virtual reality training and performance integration. Prior to joining Pike, Ramsay served as CIO at Lowe’s Home Improvement. Pike Corporation provides construction and engineering services for investor-owned, municipal, and co-operative electric utilities in the United States.
- Transplace, TX - Former CTO, Mike Dieter, will transition to the role of CIO at Transplace, where he will be responsible for all third-party technology initiatives, including the programs associated with freight brokerage and the Celtic Intermodal tech platform, customs brokerage execution platform, visibility relationships and more.Transplace provides transportation management and logistics technology services.
- Young Living Essential Oils LC, UT - Young Living Essential Oils announced the promotion of Michael Green as its CIO. Green, who joined Young Living in 2017 as SVP of IT, has more than 17 years of experience with start-ups, direct sales, and global consumer product companies. Young Living Essential Oils LC provides essential oils and wellness solutions.
- LAC Group, CA - LAC Group has hired legal industry tech expert, blogger and business strategist Ron Friedmann to fill the newly created executive role of chief knowledge and information officer. Friedmann will report to CEO Rob Corrao. Friedmann, a lawyer by training, comes to LAC from consultancy Fireman & Company where he advised law firms, law departments and legal vendors on business-improvement projects, knowledge management and research strategy. Before that, he was a SVP at Integreon and CIO for Mintz Levin Cohn Ferris Glovsky & Popeo PC. LAC Group provides consulting and project management, information and asset management, library staffing, research and reference, managed services, and recruiting services.
Chief Technology Officers (Non Tech Vendor Product/ CIO/IT)
- The Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company, WI - Northwestern Mutual has announced VP and Head of Enterprise Architecture & Engineering Emilia Sherifova as EVP & CTO. Previously she was CTO at LearnVest.
- TransUnion, IL - TransUnion has hired Abhi Dhar as EVP and Chief Information and Technology Officer. His expertise includes product development, digital product management and information security in complex and regulated technology environments. He will be responsible for the strategic direction and performance of TransUnion's Global Technology organization, reporting to TransUnion President and CEO Jim Peck and serving on TransUnion's Executive Committee. Dhar joins TransUnion from Packyge. Dhar will replace Mohit Kapoor prior to his planned retirement later in 2019. Kapoor will remain at TransUnion in the interim in a temporary role as EVP for Global Technology Acceleration while assisting with Dhar's transition as CITO. TransUnion provides risk and information solutions.
- frontdoor, TN - Frontdoor announced that Piras Thiyagarajan has been named SVP and CTO. He brings to the role more than 20 years of experience with some of the world’s most-recognized technology companies, and holds six U.S. patents for data security, transaction and technology systems. Thiyagarajan most recently served as VP of engineering and technology for Ridecell. frontdoor provides home service plans to homeowners under the American Home Shield, HSA, Landmark, and OneGuard brands in the United States.
- Vitamin Shoppe, NJ - Andrew Laudato has joined The Vitamin Shoppe as EVP, CTO. For the past two years, Mr. Laudato was CIO at Brookdale Senior Living. Vitamin Shoppe operates as a omni-channel specialty retailer and contract manufacturer of nutritional products.
- One Technologies, TX - One Technologies announced that Bhargav Shah has joined the firm as SVP and CTO. Mr. Shah, who is based in Dallas and reports to CEO Sanjay Baskaran, will lead creating a customer-centric technology vision and all aspects of development to deliver on One Technologies growth strategy. Mr. Shah was most recently CIO and SVP at Pier 1 Imports, where he developed and spearheaded omni-channel customer experience including the use of Augmented Reality, Supply Chain automation and Machine Learning, among other initiatives. One Technologies provides online marketing services and products in the direct-to-consumer credit monitoring industry.
- Transplace, TX - Transplace named Jim French as the company's CTO. French will oversee the company's IT infrastructure and development, and will report directly to Transplace CEO Frank McGuigan. Prior to joining Transplace, French served as CTO at MoneyGram International, a global money transfer service provider, where he was responsible for all technology at the company.
CTOs - Tech Products/ Tech Strategy
- Adobe, CA - Adobe announced that it has acquired Allegorithmic. By combining Allegorithmic’s Substance 3D design tools with Creative Cloud’s imaging, video and motion graphics tools, Adobe will empower video game creators, VFX artists working in film and television, designers and marketers to deliver the next generation of immersive experiences. Allegorithmic CEO and founder, Sebastien Deguy will take a leadership role in Adobe’s broader 3D and immersive design efforts as VP, 3D and Immersive, reporting into Scott Belsky, chief product officer and EVP, Creative Cloud, Adobe.
- Advanced Micro Devices, CA - Advanced Micro Devices announced multiple organizational changes focused on strengthening the company’s senior leadership team and accelerating growth. The company is promoting SVP Technology and Engineering and CTO Mark Papermaster to EVP and CTO in recognition of his leadership in driving the technology vision and roadmap execution of the company.
- Conduent Incorporated, NJ - Conduent Incorporated appointed Rahul Gupta as Chief Technology and Product Officer (CTPO). Based in Florham Park, Rahul will be responsible for end-to-end product and platform management including implementation, maintenance and innovation. He will also be responsible for product roadmaps, product marketing, collaborating with lines of business and clients on product strategy and driving strategic technology partnerships. Rahul joined Conduent in early 2017 as the leader of Conduent's IT Services organization.
- Cboe Global Markets, IL - Eric Crampton, SVP and Global Head of Software Engineering, will become SVP and CTO, reporting to COO Chris Isaacson. Crampton joined Cboe in 2017 following the Bats acquisition. He had been with Bats since 2008, where he led the software engineering teams. Cboe Global Markets, through its subsidiaries, operates as an options exchange in the United States.
- T-Mobile US, WA - T-Mobile US announced that Ulf Ewaldsson has joined the company as its new SVP, Technology Transformation, reporting directly to CTO and EVP, Neville Ray. Ewaldsson joins the Un-carrier after nearly 30 years at Ericsson, where he most recently served as a senior advisor to the company’s CEO. Prior to that, Ewaldsson held various senior leadership roles including SVP and Head of Business Area Digital Services, and SVP and Chief Strategy & Technology Officer.
- Twilio, CA - Twilio announced that Chee Chew will be joining the company as its Chief Product Officer. Chew will report to Twilio co-founder and CEO Jeff Lawson. Chee brings more than 25 years of experience in the technology industry, formerly working at companies such as Amazon, Hewlett-Packard, Google and Microsoft. Previously, he was the VP of Consumer Engagement at Amazon. Twilio provides a cloud communications platform that enables developers to build, scale, and operate communications within software applications.
- Risk Management Solutions, CA - RMS appointed Cihan Biyikoglu to EVP of Product. As the Head of Product Management, Biyikoglu will oversee management of the full suite of RMS products including models, software, platform, data and analytics. Most recently, Cihan served as the VP of Product Management at Databricks. Risk Management Solutions provides catastrophe risk modeling solutions in the United States and internationally.
- Greenway Health, FL - Greenway Health has named a new chief technology and innovation officer. Kali Durgampudi will work to advance Greenway's products and services and continue to help turn its customer data and insights into action through next-generation technologies. Most recently, he served as SVP of research and development with Nuance, a conversational and cognitive artificial intelligence technology company. Prior to that role, he was VP of product development at Eclipsys before its merger with Allscripts. Greenway Health provides electronic health records (EHR) and practice management solutions to providers, consumers, and payers.
- Alert Logic, TX - Alert Logic appointed two world-class product and engineering leaders to the company’s senior executive team. Onkar Birk joins Alert Logic as SVP, Product Strategy & Engineering, and Jack Danahy joins as SVP, Security. Previously, Birk served in General Manager and CTO roles, leading Product & Engineering for the Avaya Contact Center Solutions Division and driving Product Strategy for Channel Led Services, where he helped achieve the leader position from Gartner. Danahy previously founded and co-founded three successful security companies, holding CEO and CTO roles. Most recently, he was CTO at Barkly, an endpoint protection provider, and previously CEO at Qiave Technologies. Alert Logic develops and offers security-as-a-Service (SaaS) software solutions for customers of hosting and cloud service providers worldwide.
- Digital Ocean, NY - DigitalOcean named Barry Cooks as CTO. In this role, Cooks will oversee the company's overall product direction and development and will lead the engineering, product and infrastructure teams. Most recently, Cooks served as vice president of R&D, cloud operations products at VMware. Digital Ocean provides a cloud infrastructure for software developers to deploy and scale their applications.
- Airgain, CA - Airgain appointed Kevin Thill as the SVP of Engineering. Thill served as owner, sole designer, marketing, sales, and more, slowly growing the company into a multi-million dollar a year business until it was bought by Airgain in 2017. He is the holder of 12 patents and counting, and was promoted to Airgain’s Senior Vice President of Engineering. Airgain designs, develops, and engineers antenna products for original equipment and design manufacturers, chipset vendors, and service providers worldwide.
- Telaria, NY - Telaria announced the promotion of Mr. Rama Roberts to the position of CTO. Mr. Roberts will lead the company’s growing global engineering organization and is responsible for further developing Telaria's built-for-OTT Video Management Platform that facilitates billions of transactions daily. Telaria, a software company, operates a programmatic, self-service, seller platform to monetize and manage premium video content across various Internet-connected screens and devices.
- Spectrio, FL - Spectrio has appointed Jeff Juszczak as VP of technology. With a background that includes co-founding a technology start-up and heading and managing a software development department, Juszczak plans to leverage his expertise as he oversees Spectrio’s internal systems and customer-facing technology. Before joining Spectrio, Juszczak was director of software development at Vector Solutions. Spectrio operates as an audio/video marketing company in the United States.
- Cox Automotive, GA - Cox Automotive has promoted David Brooks to CTO, reporting to Chief Product Officer Marianne Johnson. He was most recently SVP of engineering at Manheim. In his new role, Brooks and his team will be responsible for architecture, enterprise data engineering, emerging technologies, and delivering a consistent set of engineering practices, tools, and reporting to enable successful product delivery. Cox Automotive provides digital marketing, software, financial, wholesale, and e-commerce solutions for consumers, dealers, manufacturers, and the automotive ecosystem worldwide.
- HootSuite Media, BC - Hootsuite appointed Ryan Donovan as SVP, Product and Technology. Donovan brings more than 20 years of product management and engineering leadership experience to his new role at Hootsuite where he will lead the company's product innovation globally. Donovan joins Hootsuite from Sitecore, where he served as CTO. He has extensive experience in both product management and engineering, including leadership roles at Microsoft Corporation. HootSuite Media provides social media management solutions for organizations worldwide.
- Alation, CA - Alation announced the appointments of Raj Gossain as SVP of product and Junaid Saiyed as VP of engineering. As SVP of product, Gossain will lead product strategy and development of the award-winning Alation Data Catalog. Before joining Alation, he was VP of product and design at ClearSlide, now part of Corel Corp. Saiyed is highly experienced in building cloud BI products for enterprises and growing globally distributed teams that deliver products at a rapid pace. Prior to joining Alation, he was VP of engineering and product management at Birst. Alation develops an enterprise collaborative data platform that empowers employees to find, understand, and use the data of enterprises for business decisions.
- ActiveCampaign, IL - ActiveCampaign announced Reem Jaghlit as the VP of Product Engineering. Reem officially joined the team in January, bringing more than 10 years of engineering experience, coming to ActiveCampaign from her role as the VP of Engineering at Cheetah Digital. ActiveCampaign provides email marketing solutions for Fortune 500 companies and small businesses in the United States.
- Brex, CA - Brex announced the addition of Cosmin Nicolaescu as VP of Engineering. In his new role, Nicolaescu will bring his expertise in scaling global engineering organizations, like those he led at Stripe and Microsoft, to Brex, as it continues to establish itself as a leader in the fintech marketplace. He will report to Pedro Franceschi, Brex’s co-Founder and COO. Prior to joining Brex, Nicolaescu led Stripe’s Global engineering and product teams, helping to scale the company from 100 to over 1,400 employees worldwide. Brex provides corporate credit card, The Brex Visa for technology companies.
CTO - Infrastructure
- Comcast Corporation, PA - Comcast appointed Jeff Votaw as VP of Engineering. Votaw will be responsible for leading a team of approximately 500 people in Comcast California’s Engineering and Construction organization. Jeff brings to this role 35 years of industry experience most recently serving as the VP of Technical Operations for Comcast in California.
- American Express, NY - American Express appointed Evangelos Evan Kotsovinos as SVP and Global Head of Infrastructure. In this role, Mr. Kotsovinos will oversee the company's converged infrastructure, enterprise cloud platform, mainframe systems and global technology operations services. Mr. Kotsovinos joins American Express from Morgan Stanley, where he most recently served as Asia CIO with responsibility for all technology services and resources in the region.
- Meredith Corporation, IA - Meredith Corporation announced that Tom Casey has been promoted to VP of Engineering and Technology for the Meredith Local Media Group. For the past eight years Casey has served as Meredith's Director of Engineering and Operations, providing technical and operational management for Meredith's Centralcast hubs in Atlanta and Phoenix. Casey will take over for Larry Oaks who is retiring. Meredith Corporation operates as a diversified media company in the United States, Europe, and Asia.
- Mortgage Guaranty Insurance Corporation, WI - Sean R. Valcamp has been promoted to VP CTO. Mr. Valcamp came to MGIC in 2018 as VP Chief Information Security Officer. Prior to joining the Company, Mr. Valcamp enjoyed a successful career in the IT department at Avnet.
- GAIN Capital Holdings, NJ - Rasmus Hansen joins as Head of Infrastructure Technology. Previously, Hansen held the position of Enterprise Architect at ION technology, where he ran Infrastructure Technology, Service Operations and Enterprise Architecture groups, managing teams across EMEA, APAC and the U.S. As GAIN's Head of Infrastructure Technology, Hansen will spearhead IT infrastructure and support IT and infrastructure development for the Company. GAIN Capital Holdings, together with its subsidiary, provides trading services and solutions to retail, institutional, and futures service customers worldwide.
- Aflac Incorporated, GA - Aflac Incorporated announced that Richard L. Gilbert has been named SVP and chief digital information officer, reporting to Virgil R. Miller, EVP, COO, Aflac U.S.; president, Aflac Group. In this newly created role, Gilbert will oversee the new Digital Innovation office and will be responsible for driving Aflac's IT strategy. Prior to joining Aflac, he was VP of Business Enablement and IT Service Management at DXC Technology.
- Medidata Solutions, NY - Medidata announced the addition of EVP of Digital and AI Solutions, Sastry Chilukuri to its senior leadership team. Chilukuri will be responsible for accelerating the development, go-to-market, and delivery of these capabilities. Chilukuri brings 19 years of experience in healthcare technology. He most recently was a partner at McKinsey & Company, where he worked for 12 years advising bio-pharma, medical device, technology, public sector and regulatory clients around the world. Prior to that he worked for GE Healthcare in software engineering, product development and operations. Medidata Solutions provides cloud-based solutions for life sciences worldwide.
- Mortgage Guaranty Insurance Corporation, WI - Tara E. Radmann has been promored to VP Business Automation. Ms. Radmann will lead business automation efforts following the March 2019 retirement of Jerry Murphy, VP Business Process Transformation. Mortgage Guaranty Insurance Corporation provides mortgage insurance solutions to mortgage lenders in the United States, Puerto Rico, and other locations.
- PCMS Datafit, OH - PCMS announced the hiring of Tanya Bowen as Chief Digital Officer. Bowen has more than 25 years' experience in customer engagement, retail and digital and has previously held senior roles at BT Expedite, NSB Retail and Aptos. She is an expert in using technology to unify store, mobile, web and emerging sales channels to provide consistent cross-channel engagement. PCMS Datafit supplies software and IT consulting services to retail, manufacturing, financial, food, engineering, fashion, luxury goods, telecoms, pharmaceuticals, optical, QSR and casual dining, and healthcare industries worldwide.
- Standard Industries, NY - Standard Industries announced Xavier Riley as Head of Digital Strategy & Innovation. Mr. Riley brings more than 15 years of experience in technology leadership roles, most recently as VP, Big Data Operations and Interim CIO at Neustar. Standard Industries manufactures and supplies commercial and residential roofing products.
Security Chiefs/ CISOs
- Compass Bank, AL - BBVA Compass has named Brian Fricke as its Chief Information Security Officer (CISO), where he will oversee the bank's Information Security and Engineering Risk functions. As the bank's CISO, Fricke is responsible for setting the bank's enterprise information security policy and overseeing its information and cyber security risk functions for all its associated websites and systems. Prior to his role at BBVA Compass, Fricke was the CISO for the Bank Ozk. Compass Bank, doing business as BBVA Compass, provides banking products and services to individuals and businesses.
- Twitter, CA - Mike Convertino is now Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) at Twitter. He is former CTO & VP, Security Products of F5 Networks.
- Silicon Valley Bank, CA - Silicon Valley Bank (SVB) announced the appointment of David Hahn as Chief Security Officer. In this role, Hahn will oversee operations for SVB's cybersecurity, business continuity and physical security programs. Hahn is based in Santa Clara and reports to CIO Nick Shevelyov. Hahn joins SVB from Hearst Corporation, one of the conglomerates in the world, where he led corporate information security and risk as the company's first chief information security officer.
- ViON Corporation, VA - ViON Corporation has hired Nicolas Nowinski as VP of IT and Security. Most recently, Nicolas served as a Technical Architect at Microsoft where he worked with customers to build technical strategies and architectures for the Cloud. ViON Corporation designs, delivers, and maintains IT infrastructure solutions for the military, government, and commercial businesses worldwide.
Rest of the World
Tech Chief Appointments
Chief Information Officers / CTOs as CIOs
- Aegon N.V., Netherlands - Aegon has hired KPMG partner Nick Rodway as its new CTO. Rodway was previously KPMG’s associate partner for investment management and retirement from September 2016 to January 2019. Rodway's appointment comes after former Aegon chief digital officer Richard Denning resigned last September.
- AXIS Capital Holdings Limited, Bermuda - AXIS Capital Holdings Limited announced the hiring of Keith Schlosser as CIO. Mr. Schlosser will lead the Company’s global IT strategy with responsibility for partnering with its Insurance and Reinsurance business segments and other departments to drive change throughout the organization by delivering high-quality, future-oriented IT services in line with AXIS Capital’s business strategy. He will report to Richard Strachan, AXIS Capital Chief Operations Officer. Prior to AXIS, he served for seven years as CIO for Chubb’s Overseas General Insurance division.
- Cardno Limited, Australia - Elena Schamp has been promoted to the new position of CTO, reporting to new Chief Digital Officer Nicola Dorling. Aside from supporting digital transformation, Elena will continue to drive the implementation of Cardno's global IT strategy. Schamp has been with Cardno for 18 months and is an accomplished technology transformation leader with over 16 years' experience in the ICT industry. Cardno Limited, a professional infrastructure and environmental services company, engages in the development and improvement of physical and social infrastructure for communities worldwide.
- NVest Financial Holdings Limited, South Africa - NVest Financial Holdings Limited announced appointment of Mr. Siviwe Relebohile Kwatsha as CIO. Siviwe has resigned as an Independent Non-Executive director of NVest, a position held since joining the group on 1 April 2015. NVest Financial Holdings Limited, together with its subsidiaries, provides wealth management, stockbroking, and asset management services in South Africa.
CTOs - Tech Products/Tech Strategy
- Software AG, Germany - Software AG announced that Dr. Wolfram Jost, who engineered Software AG’s digital transformation technology as the company’s CTO, will leave Software AG to pursue new opportunities. Software AG announced that Bernd Gross will assume the position of CTO reporting to the CEO. Bernd has deep expertise in business innovation based on integration, analytics and IoT technologies across major industries. He joined Software AG as CEO and co-founder of the IoT platform through an acquisition in 2017.
- Talend S.A., France - Talend promoted Laurent Bride to Chief Technical Officer and COO. Mr. Bride has served as the company’s Chief Technical Officer since 2014 and has more than 20 years of software experience, including executive roles in product development and customer support. Mr. Bride’s responsibilities will expand from leading research and development at Talend to also include product management and IT. Talend S.A. provides platform to address IT integration needs in various industries.
- Telrad Networks, Israel - Telrad Networks announced the appointment of Eran Shalev as the new CTO. For the last few years, Shalev served as CEO of Cellact Communications, an Israeli 4G MVNO, where he led the company’s team with a future-focused strategy. Telrad Networks Ltd. develops and manufactures LTE telecommunications solutions to enable wireless broadband connectivity worldwide.
- Aspire Global plc, Ukraine - Aspire Global has appointed Ziv Shtaeinberg as CTO. Shtaeinberg will be based in Kiev, Ukraine, where he will be leading the technology team in the group as of January 2019. He has extensive knowledge of technology development, on-premises software and cloud computing from similar roles at SafeCharge (global payment technology) and Microsoft. Aspire Global plc operates provides managed online gaming solutions to operators and white labels in Malta, the United Kingdom, Belgium, Portugal, Italy, and Denmark.
- Sanofi, France - Sanofi has appointed Ameet Nathwani, M.D. as Chief Digital Officer in addition to his current role of EVP, Chief Medical Officer. As Chief Digital Officer, Dr. Nathwani will be responsible for enhancing Sanofi's strategy to integrate digital technologies and medical science to ultimately improve patient outcomes. His mandate will include scaling up Sanofi's ongoing portfolio of digital initiatives by developing broad external partnerships, building out internal infrastructures, and exploring new business opportunities for Sanofi in the digital space. Dr. Nathwani joined Sanofi in May 2016 as Chief Medical Officer.
- Avon Products, United Kingdom - Avon Products has appointed Nick Burton as VP Digital Development. Nick will play a pivotal role in Avon's transformation, driving its digital sales model, e-enabling its Representatives and opening up access to more consumers around the world. He joins from Belron - known for brands such as Autoglass – where he led the IT and digital function and served on the Group's Commercial Executive team. Nick will report to Chief Digital & IT Officer Benedetto Conversano, and will be based in Chiswick.
- Z Energy Limited, New Zealand - Z Energy Limited appointed Mandy Simpson to the role of Chief Digital Officer (CDO) for the company. Mandy will be reporting to CEO Mike Bennetts. The role of CDO was created to lead Z's newly established Digital function and champion a digital first model across the company. The CDO will develop and deliver Z's Digitisation strategy by transforming Z to a digital and data driven business focused on customer experience and productivity. Mandy is a Member of the New Zealand Institute of Directors and a Member of New Zealand Global Women. Z Energy Limited sells transport fuel in New Zealand.
- InterContinental Hotels Group, United Kingdom - InterContinental Hotels Group announced that George Turner, EVP, General Counsel and Company Secretary, has taken up the position of IHG's Chief Commercial and Technology Officer. As IHG's Chief Commercial and Technology Officer, George Turner is responsible for global sales, distribution, revenue management, property systems, digital and voice, technology, and information security. George Turner previously spent a decade as IHG's EVP, General Counsel and Company Secretary, with responsibility for corporate governance, risk management, information security, insurance, regulatory compliance, internal audit, legal and hotel standards.
- Cardno Limited, Australia - Cardno announced the appointment of Chief Digital Officer Nicola Dorling. Dorling has most recently led the University of New South Wales' (UNSW) digital transformation focusing on improving the customer experience, driving innovation thinking, identifying and developing digital solutions to support re-engineering of business processes and developing digital shared services capability and innovation hubs.
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand, New Zealand - The Reserve Bank appointed Scott Fisher as Head of Digital Services/CIO. Mr. Fisher has been acting CIO since October 2018 and joined the Bank in January 2018 as Manager Digital Operations. Reserve Bank of New Zealand is the central bank in New Zealand.
- Lectra SA, France - Lectra is strengthening its Executive Committee to accelerate the implementation of its Lectra 4.0 strategy, initiated in early 2017, with the objective of becoming a key player in the Industry 4.0 market. Véronique Zoccoletto, Chief Transformation Officer, will focus on escalating Lectra's ongoing digitalization and use of the four key technologies. Lectra SA provides software, computer aided design/computer aided manufacturing equipment, and related services for industries using fabrics, leather, technical textiles, and composite materials to manufacture their products.
Chief Data Officers
- AXIS Capital Holdings Limited, Bermuda - AXIS Capital Holdings Limited announced that Govind Balu has joined the Company as Chief Analytics Officer. In this role, Mr. Balu is responsible for leading AXIS’ data and analytics initiatives globally. He will also lead the company’s Analytics Center of Excellence, which partners with teams across the organization to create and apply digital and data-focused solutions to AXIS’ business. Mr. Balu was most recently Chief Data and Analytics Officer for Allstate Roadside Services.
- Taiwan Mobile, Taiwan - Taiwan Mobile appointed Eddie Chan as VP and Chief Data Officer of the Company. Chan has been serving as Deputy General Manager in Taiwan Mobile since January 2017. Taiwan Mobile provides wireless communication services in Taiwan.
- Supreme Ventures Limited, Jamaica - Supreme Ventures Limited has appointed data science expert Mr. Emmanuel Salako as the Assistant VP, Business Intelligence & Analytics. Mr. Salako will be responsible for collecting, integrating, analysing and presenting consolidated data and information to support critical business decisions. Supreme Ventures Limited engages in betting, gaming, and lottery operations in Jamaica.
- Sidetrade SA, France - Sidetrade SA announced that Clement Chastagnol has been appointed Head of Data Science. At the helm of the Lab, he will be overseeing R&D in key fields of Artificial Intelligence, such as Machine Learning, Deep Learning, and Natural Language Processing. Over the last five years he has acquired solid experience in Artificial Intelligence for B2B marketing. Sidetrade SA provides artificial intelligence solutions for marketing, sales, and financial sectors in France and internationally.
Recent Vell Placements
For Specific bios and announcements, please refer to our Website - www.vell.com
Carbonite (CARB), Online Backup for SMB (SaaS) - Board Members (2)
CEOs/ Presidents/ GMs
CTOs/ Engineering/ CIOs/CISOs
About Vell Executive Search
- Deep tech industry retained search experience
- More dedicated time as consultants have few parallel projects.
- Thorough understanding of your company’s business and culture
- Behavioral interviews and competency scorecards.
- Constant two-way, direct communication and 24 /7 availability.
- Insightful and detailed reference checking
- Broad reach of candidates: no hidden relationships. No off-limits.
- Analytics based search process.
Vell Executive Search
Boston, MA 02110