The tech functions we cover in this newsletter are: EVP, Tech and Ops, CIO, CTO, Chief Digital Officer, Chief Product Officer (Product development and engineering), Data Science, Data Chiefs, Data Analytics chiefs (tech data analytics chiefs), Security, Privacy Chiefs, Blockchain chiefs.
Geographic Distribution of Open & Closed Tech Roles
In this Edition
- Open Tech Function Roles - North America by Function
- Open Tech Function Roles - Rest of World by Function
- Tech Function Appointments - North America by Function
- Tech Function Appointments - Rest of World by Function
- Vell Executive Search Representative Placements
- About Vell Executive Search
Hope you enjoy this newsletter and find it useful. Suggestions and corrections are most welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks again and all the best,
Vell Executive Search is a retained executive search firm that specializes in recruiting technology execs for boards and executive roles, including Board Members, CEOs, Presidents, GMs, CTOs/Chief Digital Officers/VP Engineering, as well as tech executives and board members for the technology industry. Vell has built a reputation for recruiting talented high-performing leadership teams globally. www.vell.com.
Open Technology Roles
- Koch Ag & Energy Services, KS, 2019 -The agriculture, chemicals and energy company, is looking for a CIO to join the organization. The person should have a strong business acumen with a demonstrated ability to develop and align IT initiatives to accelerate achievement of strategic business objectives.
- Principal Financial Group, IA, Sept 2019 - The Principal Financial Group announced Gary Scholten, EVP, CIO and chief digital officer has announced his retirement. He reports to Dan Houston, chairman, president and CEO of Principal. An internal and external global search for Scholten’s replacement is currently underway. Principal Financial Group provides retirement, asset management, and insurance products and services to businesses, individuals, and institutional clients worldwide.
- National Vision Holdings, GA, Sept 2019 - John Vaught, SVP, CIO of National Vision Holdings, notified the company of his intent to retire from his CIO position after 14 years of service to the company. Mr. Vaught's retirement will be effective on a date to be mutually agreed, but no earlier than March 2020. National Vision Holdings operates as an optical retailer primarily in the United States.
- American Fidelity, OK, Sept 2019 - The life and health insurance company is seeking a CIO to build a technology vision and strategy aligned with company goals as well as provide leadership in both strategic and operational planning and implementation aligned with sales and expense goals.
- Federal Home Loan Bank of Des Moines, IA, Sept 2019 - The Bank has engaged Mr. Zeeshan Kazmi, 41, as Interim CIO on a contract basis. Mr. Kazmi is currently the President/CEO of Zygotek Inc. Federal Home Loan Bank of Des Moines, a member-owned cooperative, provides financial services to its members and eligible housing associates.
- Texas Health and Human Services, TX, Sept 2019 - The Health and Human Services (HHS) IT division is seeking a CIO. The CIO will provide innovative leadership and strategic direction for system-wide technology integration, project management, and governance. This position reports directly to the COO.
Chief Technology Officers
- McKesson Corporation, CA, April 2019 - Kathy McElligott, EVP, CIO and CTO, will also retire after a venerated career. McElligott will stay on with McKesson until her successor has been named to ensure a smooth transition; the company will conduct an internal and external executive search.
- AutoNation, FL, Jan 2019 - EVP and CTO, Tom Conophy, left the Company amid restructuring. The restructuring comes as analysts forecast a dip in U.S. vehicle sales this year. New vehicle sales in the United States are expected to drop as higher interest rates and rising prices could prompt customers to hold off their car-buying plans, the National Automobile Dealers Association said. AutoNation, through its subsidiaries, operates as an automotive retailer in the United States.
- DICK'S Sporting Goods, PA, Sept 2019 - On August 27, 2019, Paul Gaffney informed Dick's Sporting Goods, Inc. (the Company), that he is resigning as the Company's EVP - CTO. DICK'S Sporting Goods operates as a sporting goods retailer primarily in the eastern United States.
- Shutterfly, CA, Aug 2019 - Satish Menon notified Shutterfly of his decision to resign as SVP and CTO. It is expected that Dr. Menon will continue to perform his duties as CTO until that date. Shutterfly manufactures and retails personalized products.
- WideOpenWest, CO, Sept 2019 - The company has announced the departure of CTO, Matt Bell. A new CTO will be named who will have responsibility for network operations and engineering. WideOpenWest provides high speed data, cable television, and digital telephony services to residential and business services customers in the United States.
CTOs - Tech Products/ Tech Strategy
- Wayfair, MA - Wayfair announced that John Mulliken, CTO, will retire from the company in 2019. With Mulliken’s planned departure, current Wayfair board member and former Google executive Jim Miller will serve as interim CTO while Wayfair conducts an external search. Miller brings invaluable expertise and decades of experience in technology and product innovation to the Wayfair team. He has served on the Wayfair board for the past three years. Mulliken will remain with the company to support the transition through October 15, 2019.
- Nutanix, CA, Jun 2019 - Sunil Potti notified Nutanix that he will resign from his position as the Company’s Chief Product and Development Officer to join Google. Unsure if the role is open. Brian Stephens, until recently the CTO of Google Cloud, has joined the Nutanix board.
- Shutterstock, NY, Mar 2019 - Martin Brodbeck, CTO of Shutterstock, notified the company of his decision to resign from his position, to become CTO of Priceline. The Company has commenced a search for a CTO to succeed Mr. Brodbeck. Shutterstock is a photography, stock footage, stock music, and editing tools provider.
- Telenav, CA, Aug 2019 - Philipp Kandal resigned as SVP, Engineering of Telenav. His last day at the Company will be October 4, 2019. Telenav provides connected car and location-based platform services in the United States and internationally.
- Conformis, MA, Sep 2018 - Daniel Steines, M.D, M.S., CTO, of Conformis, announced his resignation from the company.
- ConXtech, CA, Aug 2019 - Cornstarch announced that Robert "Bob" Simmons, ConXtech's co-founder, will be stepping down as CTO and chairman of the board. Simmons will continue to serve as a board member of the company and will continue to support the company in this capacity. ConXtech operates as a construction technology company.
- Globalive Technology, ON, Canada, April 2019 - Globalive Technology announced that CTO Bhavin Shah has departed from the company to pursue other opportunities. Globalive Technology develops blockchain and artificial intelligence technologies, with the goal of commercializing artificial intelligence and blockchain.
- FiscalNote, Washington D.C., Jul 2019 - The CTO at FiscalNote will be responsible for technical leadership and strategy across the company – reporting directly to the CEO. S/he has to have experience in information services and/or SaaS technologies and has a proven track record of aligning R&D teams towards stability and growth, this will require making global hires and hands-on mentorship regarding team management and effective delegation.
- Nucor Corporation, NC, April 2019 - Nucor Corporation announced that Chief Digital Officer and EVP, R. Joseph Stratman, plans to retire in June 2019 after more than 29 years of service with the company. Nucor Corporation manufactures and sells steel and steel products in the United States and internationally.
- Informatica, CA, Sep 2019 - Informatica is seeking a CISO who will be reporting to the CIO. Former CISO Roger Hale left in September 2019.
- Zoom Information, MA, Jan 2019 - In second quarter of this year, the CIO (appointed in January 2019) will be joined by a new CISO. The CISO role is open. Zoom Information develops business-to-business (B2B) data and business information solutions for customers in sales, marketing, recruiting, or other businesses.
- State of Ohio, OH, Jul 2019 - The Office of the Secretary of State’s Information Technology Division is seeking a CISO to serve as Security Point of Contact; develop & implement policies, procedures, standards & best practices to ensure protection of critical infrastructure based on national security standards.
- Brighthouse Financial, NC, Sep 2019 - The annuities and life insurance provider is seeking a CISO. Reporting to the CTO of Brighthouse Financial, the CISO will be responsible for safeguarding of all company information technology assets across all platforms, locations stakeholders and customers.
Rest of the World
Open Tech Chief Roles
CTOs - Tech Products/Tech Strategy
- Criteo S.A., France, Jul 2019 - Criteo S.A. and Mr. Dan Teodosiu, the company’s CTO, mutually agreed that Mr. Teodosiu would step down from his role as CTO and separate from employment as of September 30th, 2019. Criteo S.A., a technology company, provides an advertising platform for the open Internet in France and internationally.
- Kingfisher plc, United Kingdom, Mar 2019 - Steve Willett, Chief Transformation, Digital & IT Officer, has decided to retire after nearly 20 years with the business. As a result of Steve’s retirement, a new role of Chief Digital and Customer Officer has been created, which will be part of Kingfisher’s Group Executive team. Recruitment for this role is well underway and it is expected that an appointment will be announced in the near future. Steve will oversee a full handover of his responsibilities.
- Wärtsilä, Finland - Wärtsilä Corporation announced that Chief Digital Officer Marco Ryan to leave Wärtsilä. Mr. Marco Ryan, Chief Digital Officer & EVP and a member of the Board of Management has resigned from Wärtsilä with immediate effect. Ryan will be appointed to a key position outside Wärtsilä. Wärtsilä’s Board of Management will evaluate how to organise the digital organisation for the future to provide increased value to customers and the society.
Tech Chief Appointments in North America
Technology & Operations
- MetLife, NY, Aug 2019 - MetLife announced that Bill Pappas will join the company as EVP and Head of Global Technology and Operations. Pappas will report to President and CEO Michel Khalaf. Pappas joins MetLife from Bank of America, where he was the head of operations for the consumer, small business, wealth management and private banking businesses.
- Walgreens Boots Alliance, IL, Sep 2019 - Walgreens Boots Alliance named Francesco Tinto as CIO and SVP of the company. Most recently, he was global CIO and head of global business services, where he oversaw IT and shared services, including finance, customer service, master data, HR and analytics. Anthony Roberts, who previously served as global CIO and SVP at WBA, will retire from this position to focus on other non-executive roles outside of the company after assisting with the transition.
- Wells Fargo & Company, CA, Sep 2019 - Wells Fargo & Company announced that Tracy Kerrins has been named CIO of Enterprise Functions Technology. Kerrins will report to Saul Van Beurden, head of Technology. Most recently, she was the chief operations and technology officer of Antares Capital, a private debt credit manager with more than $24 billion of capital under management.
- The Goldman Sachs Group, NY, Sep 2019 - Goldman Sachs hired former Amazon Web Services executive Marco Argenti as partner and co-CIO. The move indicates that the firm is positioning for cloud-based services. Argenti has spent the past six years at AWS as VP of technology.
- The Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company, WI, Aug 2019 - Northwestern Mutual appointed Neal Sample to CIO. Sample comes to Northwestern Mutual most recently from Express Scripts, where he served as COO and led all facets of operations, including IT, pharmacies, call centers, and client services. Prior to that, he was President of Enterprise Growth at American Express.
- The Hartford Financial Services Group, CT, Sep 2019 - The Hartford announced that it has appointed Deepa Soni as CIO. She succeeds Mark Esposito, who is retiring after a 13-year career with The Hartford. Soni will report to Bill Bloom, head of operations, technology, data and analytics at The Hartford. Most recently, Soni served as U.S. CIO for BMO Financial Group.
- American Electric Power Company, OH, Aug 2019 - American Electric Power has named Greg Filipkowski VP, IT. Filipkowski has been serving in this role on an interim basis and will continue to report to Lana Hillebrand, EVP and chief administrative officer. Filipkowski, has more than 30 years of IT experience. He joined AEP in 2005 as director of enterprise architecture and also has served as director of utilities systems and director of IT demand for AEP.
- CNA Financial Corporation, IL, Sep 2019 - CNA appointed Jane Possell as CIO, reporting to Michael Costonis, EVP & Chief Operations Officer. Possell most recently served as VP, U.S. Digital and Business Insurance Technology, at Liberty Mutual Insurance.
- EQT Corporation, PA, Jul 2019 - Tony Duran has been named CIO. Former CIO of Rice Energy, a division of EQT's parent company Rice Investment Group.
- Brookdale Senior Living, TN, Aug 2019 - Brookdale Senior Living has tapped former home-based care supply company executive Chris Bayham as its new CIO. Bayham takes over for VP Hank Reimer, who had been serving in the position since former CIO Andrew Laudato left Brentwood, Tennessee-based Brookdale last December. Previously, Bayham served as CIO at Nashville, Tennesee-based independent health care IT company Change Healthcare.
- JM Family Enterprises, FL, Aug 2019 - JM Family Enterprises announced Chad Couch as its new CIO. Couch was most recently Global CIO at Brightstar. JM Family Enterprises focuses on vehicle distribution and processing, retail vehicle sales, and dealer technology services.
- WideOpenWest, CO, Sep 2019 - Bill Case, SVP, has been promoted to CIO. He will report directly to Teresa Elder, CEO of WOW! and focus on transforming the company's approach to technology, IT and the project management office (PMO). WideOpenWest provides high speed data, cable television, and digital telephony services to residential and business services customers in the United States.
- Sammons Financial Group, IL, Aug 2019 - Sammons Financial Group (SFG) announced the recent hiring of Kelly Coomer as SVP and CIO. Prior to joining SFG, Coomer was Allstate’s VP, divisional CIO, product technology. Sammons Financial Group, provides insurance, retirement products, annuities, variable annuities, and securities in the United States.
- Volt Information Sciences, NY, Aug 2019 - Volt Information Sciences announced that Bob Houghton will serve as CIO. Mr. Houghton joins Volt with over 25 years of experience in information technology, spending the past eight years at NetApp. Volt Information Sciences provides traditional time, materials-based, and project-based staffing services.
- CyrusOne, TX, Jul 2019 - CyrusOne has promoted Bill Williams to CIO. Formerly Vice President of Network Services, Bill Williams has helped transform the company’s technology offerings, including establishing CyrusOne’s IX and connectivity capabilities since joining the company in 2012. CyrusOne is a high-growth real estate investment trust (REIT) specializing in highly reliable enterprise-class, carrier-neutral data center properties.
- eXp World Holdings, WA, Aug 2019 - eXp World Holdings appointed John Tobison to the role of CIO. Previously, he was COO of OutMatch, and CIO of CommerceHub. eXp World Holdings provides cloud-based real estate brokerage services for residential real estate market in the United States and Canada.
- Addus HomeCare Corporation, TX, Jul 2019 - Addus HomeCare Corporation announced that James "Zeke" Zoccoli will retire from his position as CIO. Mike Wattenbarger, Vice President, Information Technology Development, has been promoted to SVP of Information Technology and will assume leadership in that area following Zoccoli's departure. Addus HomeCare Corporation provides personal care services to elderly, chronically ill, disabled persons, and individuals who are at risk of hospitalization or institutionalization in the United States.
- GreenSky, GA, Jul 2019 - GreenSky announced the launch of a newly established Data Science division to boost the Company’s consumer protection program. Marty Smith, former GreenSky CIO, is leading this division. GreenSky, a technology company, provides point-of-sale financing and payment solutions to merchants, consumers, and banks.
- Altair Engineering, MI, Sep 2019 - Altair announced that Andrea Siudara has joined as CIO. Most recently she was global director, sales and marketing IT for Ford Motor Company. She has held previous executive roles at Delphi, Dell and General Motors. Siudara succeeds Martin Nichols, who has been named chief purchasing officer and will be responsible for global purchasing, budget tracking and facilities management. Altair Engineering provides software and cloud solutions worldwide.
- SVMK, CA, Jul 2019 - SurveyMonkey announced that Eric Johnson has joined the company as CIO. Johnson served as CIO and SVP at both DocuSign and Talend. Prior to these positions, Johnson spent nearly 13 years at Informatica driving the vision and strategy for global off-shore support and delivery, and architecting the support required for the company’s migration to a SaaS platform. SVMK provides survey software products and purpose-built solutions that enable organizations to engage with their customers, employees, and the markets they serve in the United States and internationally.
- Yext, NY, Sep 2019 - Yext has appointed Deepika Rayala as the company's CIO. Prior to joining Yext, Deepika drove IT application delivery as the VP of Enterprise Applications and PMO at Apttus. Yext provides a knowledge engine platform that lets businesses manage their digital knowledge in the cloud and synchronize it to its knowledge network in North America and internationally.
- OceanFirst Bank, NJ, Sep 2019 - OceanFirst Bank named Karthik Sridharan as EVP and CIO. He will report directly to Chairman and CEO Christopher D. Maher. Most recently he was the CTO at Citigroup. OceanFirst Bank operates as a federally chartered stock savings bank.
- Liberty Tax, VA, Aug 2019 - Liberty Tax appointed Scott Terrell to the role of CIO. Most recently, Mr. Terrell served as SVP and CIO of HealthMarkets and its subsidiary companies, including HealthMarkets Insurance Agency. Liberty Tax provides tax preparation services in the United States and Canada.
- Technology Credit Union, CA, Aug 2019 - Technology Credit Union announced that Steve Shead has joined the company as its new Head of Technology. Prior to joining Tech CU, Steve was the VP of InfoSec and IT at Grand Rounds, where he led the Information Technology, Information Security and Helpdesk groups across three locations in the US. Technology Credit Union provides personal and business banking products and services to members.
- Island Federal Credit Union, NY, Aug 2019 - Craig A. Booth of Medford, VP and CIO at Island Federal Credit Union in Hauppauge, has been promoted to SVP and CIO. Island Federal Credit Union, a financial cooperative, provides a range of financial products and services to its members.
- The Supreme Cannabis Company, ON, Canada, Jul 2019 - The Supreme Cannabis Company announced Ash Rajendra as CIO where he will focus on ensuring Supreme Cannabis is well prepared to execute on its next phase of growth. Most recently, Mr. Rajendra was the CIO at Just Energy. The Supreme Cannabis Company engages in the production of medical cannabis in Canada.
- PAREXEL International Corporation, MA, Aug 2019 - Parexel, announced Gavin Nichols has joined the company as EVP, Informatics and IT. Nichols joins Parexel from BioClinica, where he served as CIO and EVP of Technology. PAREXEL International Corporation, a biopharmaceutical outsourcing company, provides clinical research and logistics, medical communications, consulting, and technology products and services for pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device industries worldwide.
- Arcadia University, PA, Aug 2019 - Rashmi Radhakrishnan began her tenure as VP and CIO at Arcadia University. As Albright College's VP for Digital Strategy and Infrastructure /CIO (2017-present) and CIO (2013-17), Rashmi was responsible for all aspects of technology on campus, including enterprise applications, enterprise data, information security, security awareness, infrastructure, and communications.
- Planned Systems International, MD, Sep 2019 - Planned Systems International announced that Stephen Skarlatos has been named CIO for PSI. Mr. Skarlatos has a longstanding history of providing valuable service to PSI as a Senior IT Consultant and serving in a variety of consulting and management roles in software management, architecture and development. Most notably, he led the Research and Development group that created the first Open Database Connectivity (ODBC)-based client solution for Unisys Mainframes. Planned Systems International provides enterprise IT solutions and services to defense, federal civilian, and state organizations.
- Charter Communications, CT, Sep 2019 - Charter Communications announced that Stephanie Mitchko has joined the company as EVP, CTO. She will report to Rich DiGeronimo, Chief Product and Technology Officer. Mitchko joins Charter from Cadent, a provider of data-driven solutions for buying and selling TV Advertising, where she served as joint CTO and COO.
- Kohl's Corporation, WI, Sep 2019 - Kohl’s named Paul Gaffney as Senior EVP, CTO, reporting directly to Kohl’s CEO Michelle Gass. He most recently served as CTO of Dick’s Sporting Goods. Prior to that, Gaffney was SVP of IT at The Home Depot.
- Canadian Pacific Railway, AL, Canada, Aug 2019 - James Clements, who has been with Canadian Pacific Railway (CP) for more than 20 years, will become SVP Strategic Planning and Technology Transformation. Former VP, Strategic Planning and Transportation Services CP's VP and CIO, Mike Redeker will report to Clements.
- YUM! Brands, KY, Sep 2019 - Yum! Brands has hired Clay Johnson, 49, as the Company’s Chief Digital and Technology Officer. Previously, Johnson served as EVP and Enterprise CIO for Walmart, and brings more than 20 years of technology leadership across FORTUNE 50 companies and industries, successfully driving digital transformation initiatives into all aspects of business.
- Equinix, CA, Sep 2019 - Equinix appointed Justin Dustzadeh as CTO. In this role, Dustzadeh is responsible for developing a technology roadmap to support the company's broader platform strategy, leading the next-generation technology and innovation function, and contributing to the company's ongoing leadership in the cloud ecosystem. Dustzadeh joins Equinix from Uber, where he was the Head of Global Network & Software Platform.
- Fair Isaac Corporation, CA, Aug 2019 - FICO announced that Dr. Stuart Wells, EVP and CTO, has resigned from the company for personal reasons. Claus Moldt, FICO's CIO, has been promoted to Dr. Wells' post. Dr. Wells will remain with the firm in an advisory role through the end of the year to ensure a smooth transition.
- Moda Operandi, NY, Sep 2019 - Moda Operandi announced that it is hiring of Arpan Nanavati as CTO. Arpan will oversee the e-commerce organization's global technology strategy, helping drive Moda Operandi's growth through innovations in customer experience and designer partnerships. Apran will report to Moda Operandi CEO Ganesh Srivats. Arpan comes to Moda Operandi from WalmartLabs. Moda Operandi is an online fashion pretailer that allows customers to preorder ready-to-wear fashion, shoes, accessories, handbags, and jewelry.
- Sportsman's Warehouse Holdings, UT, Aug 2019 - Sportsman's Warehouse Holdings appointed Phil Stevens as CTO. He will oversee all technology aspects of the Company and develop policies and procedures to enhance the overall, customer experience. For the past six years, Mr. Stevens supported thousands of retail locations worldwide as The Army and Air Force Exchange Service's EVP and CIO/CAO in Dallas, Texas. Prior to that, he served as the CIO and Corporate Advisor at Scintel Technologies. Sportsman's Warehouse Holdings operates as an outdoor sporting goods retailer in the United States.
- Trevali Mining Corporation, BC, Canada, Jul 2019 - Trevali Mining Corporation announced that Derek du Preez appointed to the new position of CTO, effective July 29, 2019. Trevali Mining Corporation, a natural resource company, engages in the acquisition, exploration, and development of mineral properties in Burkina Faso, Namibia, Canada, and Peru.
- Hamilton Lane Incorporated, PA, Sep 2019 - Hamilton Lane announced the appointment of Niki Mangos as its CTO. Prior to Hamilton Lane, Mangos was CIO at Brandywine Global Investment Management, CIO for the Individual Products Distribution Division at Guardian Life, and a member of the Technology leadership team at Goldman Sachs Asset Management, among other roles. Mangos joins Hamilton Lane as Olin Honore, Head of Information Technology, shifts his focus to facilities management as the firm readies its move to a new corporate headquarters building. Hamilton Lane Incorporated is an investment firm specializing in direct and fund of fund investments.
- Liquidity Services, MD, Aug 2019 - Liquidity Services announced the appointment of Steven Weiskircher as company's new CTO based in Bethesda, MD headquarters. Most recently, Mr. Weiskircher served as Vice President, Omnichannel, Marketing, and Digital Technology Delivery for GameStop. Previously, he served as the CIO and interim General Manager for ThinkGeek, an online retailer for pop-culture apparel and collectibles and as CIO for Fanatic. Liquidity Services provides e-commerce marketplace that enable buyers and sellers to transact in an automated environment offering approximately 500 product categories.
CTOs - Tech Products/ Tech Strategy
- Western Digital Corporation, CA, Aug 2019 - Western Digital Corp. announced that Martin Fink, EVP and CTO, will be transitioning to retirement and moving to an advisory role with the Company. Dr. Siva Sivaram, EVP, Silicon Technology and Manufacturing, has been appointed to the newly created role of President, Technology and Strategy.
- Leidos Holdings, VA, Jul 2019 - Leidos Holdings announced the promotion of Jim Carlini to the position of CTO for the company. Prior to joining the company in 2018, Jim spent decades in technical leadership roles throughout government, academia and industry, including having served as the Director of the Special Programs (sic) [ Projects ] Office at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency or DARPA. Jim is also a member of the Defense Science Board and was previously Vice President of Advanced Development Programs at Northrop Grumman Electronic Systems. Jim takes over the role from Jim Cantor who has moved into a newly created position of Chief of Performance Excellence and Strategic Partnerships.
- Infor, NY, Aug 2019 - The current CTO (name withheld because of a spam checker), who has been with the company for over two decades, will take on the newly created President of Products position, in addition to maintaining his current role as CTO.
- Sinclair Broadcast Group, MD, Aug 2019 - Sinclair Broadcast Group announced that Mark Aitken has been promoted from VP to SVP of Advanced Technology responsible for the Company's development and deployment of next-gen technologies. Prior to joining Sinclair, Mr. Aitken had already accrued 25 years of industry experience as both a consultant and engineer.
- GreenSky, GA, Jul 2019 - Minaz Vastani, former CTO at Kava, a virtual world platform company, has joined GreenSky as its new CTO.
- Carbonite, MA, Sep 2019 - Carbonite named Hal Lonas as CTO. Previously, Lonas was the CTO at Webroot. Carbonite provides backup, disaster recovery, high availability, and workload migration technology solutions in the United States.
- Mosaic Capital Corporation, AL, Canada, Sep 2019 - Mosaic announced that Nagaraju Bandaru has joined the executive team as CTO. Bandaru brings more than 20 years of experience in scalable technology deployment in multiple industries and product segments, including most recently at Clarivate Analytics (formerly part of Thomson Reuters), where he served as vice president and CTO for the Brand Division. Mosaic Capital Corporation is a private equity firm specializing in acquisitions, growth capital, mature, buyouts, and middle market investments.
- Zuora, CA, Aug 2019 - Zuora announced that Chris Battles as joined the company as its Chief Product Officer. Chris most recently the SVP and general manager of the Communications and Collaboration business unit at LogMeIn where he managed a multi-national organization of more than 1,000 employees while setting the overall business unit strategy. Zuora provides cloud-based software on a subscription basis that enables companies in various industries to launch, manage, and transform into a subscription business.
- Mercury Systems, MA, Sep 2019 - Mercury Systems announced that William Conley, will join the Company as SVP and CTO. Prior to joining Mercury, he was a member of the Federal Senior Executive Service, serving as the Director for Electronic Warfare in the Office of the Secretary of Defense. Mercury Systems provides sensor and safety critical mission processing subsystems for various critical aerospace, commercial aviation, defence, and intelligence programs.
- Frankly, NY, Sep 2019 - Frankly has promoted its COO & CTO, Omar Karim, to the role of President and CTO. Frankly operates as a software-as-a-service provider of content management and digital publishing software in the United States.
- Inseego Corp., CA, Sep 2019 - Inseego Corp. announced the appointment of Dr. Dan Picker (Ph.D.) as CTO for Mobile & IoT Solutions. Dr. Picker brings more than 30 years of experience, including 12 years at Nokia, where he was Head of Wireless Platforms, CDMA Operations, with global responsibility for CDMA platform software, hardware and ASIC development. As CTO of PureWave Networks he helped pioneer the world’s first high-performance 4G small cell base stations for both terrestrial and aeronautical applications. Inseego engages in the design and development of mobile, Internet of Things (IoT), and cloud solutions for large enterprise verticals, service providers, and small and medium-sized businesses worldwide.
- Datto, CT, Aug 2019 - Datto announced that Robert Petrocelli has joined as CTO. In this role, Petrocelli will be responsible for communicating the company’s technology vision and aligning strategy with its business goals to ensure the company continues to meet the evolving needs of the MSP market. Petrocelli joins Datto from Oracle, where he served as a senior software architect and directed a geographically distributed team. Datto provides backup, recovery, and business continuity solutions to managed service providers worldwide.
- Leaf Group Ltd., CA, Sep 2019 - Leaf Group Ltd. announced the addition of Alan Waldman as EVP, Product & Technology, overseeing strategy and execution of the product and engineering teams for Leaf Group’s marketplace brands. Previously, Waldman served as VP of Product for Metacloud, a Cisco acquired company, where he focused on accelerating cloud revenue and brought one of Cisco’s first infrastructure SaaS offerings to market. Leaf Group operates as a diversified consumer Internet company worldwide.
- Model N, CA, Sep 2019 - Neeraj Gokhale’s employment with Model N as SVP & Chief Product Officer will end. The Company announced it has appointed Suresh Kannan as SVP, Chief Product Officer. Most recently, he was a General Manager at IQVIA where he led all functions for IQVIA’s Content Management Solutions business. Prior to that, he served as VP of Product Development at IMS Health, DecisionView, and QuintilesIMS. Model N provides revenue management cloud solutions for the life sciences and technology companies.
- Cedar Electronics Holdings Corp., OH, Sep 2019 - Cedar Electronics announced that it has promoted John Kuhn to CTO. He will lead engineering and information technology teams in research and development efforts globally. Kuhn previously served as the Vice President of Engineering at Cedar Electronics. Cedar Electronics Holdings develops and distributes consumer electronics for casual and professional drivers, boat owners and outdoor enthusiasts.
- Apex Clearing Corporation, TX, Sep 2019 - Apex Clearing hired Josh Gray as CTO. Gray will be responsible for driving the strategy, vision and architecture for all of Apex's tech offerings, working closely with the executive leadership team to map out the future of the Apex technology platform, and boosting Apex's voice as a tech leader in the wealth management industry. In the past, Gray was a member of the Cedexis leadership team, where he helped to build the web-monitoring company's innovative platform. Gray has also funded several tech startups and spent time as a Software Development Manager and Architect at Microsoft. Apex Clearing Corporation provides clearing and execution solutions to the financial services industry.
- Decision Resources, MA, Sep 2019 - Decision Resources Group appointed Girish Venkatachaliah as its new Chief Product & Technology Officer. Girish will lead DRG's continued development of AI enabled integrated solutions designed to help life sciences, payers, and providers understand and engage the healthcare consumer in ways that improve health outcomes. Girish joins DRG following his role as the VP of Data Strategy, Analytics and AI/ML at athenahealth. Decision Resources provides information, analysis, and insight on critical issues to the healthcare industry worldwide.
- Lightspeed POS, QC, Canada, Jul 2019 - Lightspeed POS announced that Jim Texier will join the company as its Chief Product Officer, a newly-created position. He will start in September and will report to Chief Executive Officer, Dax Dasilva. Jim is currently the Chief Technology & Product Officer of SSENSE, a luxury fashion technology leader and pioneering international e-commerce destination known for exclusive original content and a curated selection of fashion and luxury goods for men and women. Lightspeed POS provides commerce enabling software as a service (SaaS) platform for small and midsize businesses, retailers, restaurants, and e-commerce customers.
- ITRenew, CA, Aug 2019 - ITRenew has hired Erik Riedel as SVP of Engineering. Erik has over 20 years experience designing & building scale-out computing technology. Prior to ITRenew, Erik led teams that created multiple market-leading, hyper-scale, clustered platforms at Dell/EMC. Before that, he innovated & incubated with teams at Seagate Research and Hewlett-Packard Labs. ITRenew provides data center IT asset disposition and hardware lifecycle management solutions for IT asset recovery, disposition, and returns management needs.
- FocusVision Worldwide, NY, Aug 2019 - FocusVision announced that Henry Harbury, Ph.D., has joined the company as Chief Product and Technology Officer. As a veteran technology executive, Harbury has had a long career in Technology and MarTech, including as a Founder of TeamTek Solutions, a software engineering and consulting firm. Harbury most recently served as CTO of moovel North America (becoming REACHNOW), a highly scaled mobility-as-a-service (MaaS) solutions provider for the transportation market where he helped scale and grow the core business while bringing numerous new products to market. FocusVision Worldwide operates as a research technology solutions provider.
- Chef, WA, Aug 2019 - Chef announced the appointment of Corey Scobie, its SVP of product and engineering, to the position of CTO. Scobie, who joined Chef in May 2018, becomes the company’s third-ever CTO, filling the position that Chef co-founder Adam Jacob held prior to transitioning to a focus on his board-related duties in January of this year. Chef provides cloud-based infrastructure automation solutions.
- Zoom Telephonics, MA, Aug 2019 - Zoom Telephonics appointed Mr. Phil Stanhope as VP Engineering/CTO. Stanhope was the VP of Technology Strategy for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI). Zoom Telephonics designs, produces, markets, sells, and supports Internet access and other communications-related products in North America and internationally.
- Exadel, CA, Aug 2019 - Exadel has appointed Igor Landes as CTO. Prior to his current position, Landes served as Chief Delivery Officer and VP of Engineering at Exadel. Exadel provides enterprise solutions to businesses in various industries.
- Super League Gaming, CA, Jul 2019 - Super League Gaming appointed Samir Ahmed to serve as the company’s CTO. Mr. Ahmed, is an accomplished engineer who brings to the Company over a decade of senior leadership experience in the digital entertainment industry. Prior to joining the Company, Mr. Ahmed served as Head of Consumer Technology from February 2018 to July 2019 for IMDb, an Amazon company that is the world’s most popular and authoritative website about movies, television and celebrities. Super League Gaming operates an esports community and content platform.
- FISION Corporation, MN, Sep 2019 - FISION Corporation appoints Rubicon Software's CEO and Principal, Alistair Hancock as CTO. FISION Corporation operates as an Internet platform technology company that provides proprietary cloud-based software solutions to automate the marketing functions and activities of its customers.
- Blackhawk Network Holdings, CA, Sep 2019 - Blackhawk Network announced that Harel Kodesh has been appointed its CTO. Kodesh leads Blackhawk's engineering and product organizations as interim CTO and reports to Talbott Roche, Blackhawk's CEO and president. A seasoned executive, Kodesh most recently served as an operating partner at Blackhawk's parent company and global investment firm, Silver Lake. Blackhawk Network Holdings provides a range of prepaid gift, telecom, and debit cards in physical and electronic forms; and related prepaid products and payment services in the United States and internationally.
- Neustar, VA, Aug 2019 - Neustar announced that Atish Ghosh, Ph.D., has joined the company as its SVP of Product Engineering. Ghosh will report to EVP, Chief Data Officer and CTO Venkat Achanta. Ghosh brings more than 20 years of product engineering expertise in B2B cloud-based software, products and services. Prior to Neustar, he served as the head of Global Research and Development at Ellucian. Neustar is a global information services provider which offers real-time information services worldwide.
- Optiv Security, CO, Aug 2019 - Optiv Security has appointed Todd Weber as CTO, Americas. In this newly created role, Weber helps clients better understand their alternatives, so they can realize technology's integrated value and achieve better outcomes by briefing clients on technology and market trends in the cybersecurity space. He has held a number of key technical leadership positions since joining the company in 2005. First, as a solutions director, then as vice president of managed services, and most recently as vice president of partner research and strategy. Optiv Security provides a suite of information security and cloud security solutions that help organizations to mitigate risks, defend against attacks, and improve cyber security programs in North America.
- DataDirect Networks, CA, Sep 2019 - Tintri® by DDN, the provider of intelligent infrastructure for virtualized environments, announced Anand Ghatnekar as VP of engineering. Previously, Ghatnekar delivered cutting edge enterprise software products and solutions in telecommunications, information security, and in primary and secondary storage technologies. DataDirect Networks provides scalable storage infrastructure for big data and cloud applications.
- FuzeBox, CA, Sep 2019 - Fuze appointed Rob Scudiere as the company’s CTO. In this role, Rob will oversee the company’s global engineering and technical operations, with a focus on building world-class products that deliver an exceptional enterprise communications experience for company's customers. Most recently, Rob was SVP of engineering and CIO at Secureworks and previously held leadership roles at Verisign and Guardent through its acquisition by Verisign in 2004. FuzeBox provides real-time visual communication and collaboration solutions in the United States.
- MindEdge, MA, Aug 2019 - MindEdge Learning appointed Hugo Lallo to CTO. Prior to joining MindEdge, Lallo was the lead software engineer at Zume, where he led a team of engineers focused on customer success. Prior to that, he was CTO at Stage Fund as well as CTO/CIO at DN2K LLC. MindEdge provides leadership, management, communication, and educational solutions for organizations.
- SymphonyRM, CA, Aug 2019 - SymphonyRM has hired Jacob Brauer as VP of Engineering, helping to further accelerate the company's disruption in the consumer relationship management (CRM) field with artificial intelligence. Former Director, Software Engineering of NextGen Healthcare. SymphonyRM operates HealthOS, a platform also helps identify a series of prioritized Next Best Actions (NBAs) for existing and prospective patients and physician utilization, while also reducing network leakage.
- United Airlines, IL, Jul 2019 - United Airlines named Jason Birnbaum SVP of digital technology, growing his portfolio of responsibilities to encompass support for the carrier's commercial technologies, including those of its loyalty, sales, network and revenue management departments. Birnbaum most recently served as United's vice president of operations and employee technology, and in his new role Birnbaum will continue to support operations, customer and corporate technology. Birnbaum will continue to report to EVP of Technology and Chief Digital Officer Linda Jojo. Prior to joining United, Birnbaum served as EVP and CIO of SIRVA Inc., overseeing the company's IT systems for both customer-facing and business support systems.
- Wilmington Savings Fund Society, FSB, DE, Aug 2019 - Corynn Ciber has joined WSFS Bank as SVP and Chief Digital Officer. In this newly created role, she will work closely with Lisa M. Brubaker, WSFS Bank’s EVP and CTO, and with teams of WSFS business leaders and expert third-party partners, to execute the Bank’s “Delivery Transformation” program. Her most recent assignment involved successfully overseeing operations and technology infrastructure investment projects at Barclays Bank in Wilmington, Del. Wilmington Savings Fund Society, FSB provides banking products and services to individual, corporate, and institutional clients in the United States.
- Kaiser Permanente, CA, Jul 2019 - Kaiser Permanente announced that Prat Vemana has been named its first chief digital officer for Kaiser Foundation Health Plan and Hospitals. In this newly created role, Vemana will lead the ongoing development and execution of Kaiser Permanente's digital vision and strategy, in collaboration with internal health plan, hospital, and medical group teams. As chief digital officer, Vemana will report to Dick Daniels, EVP and CIO, with joint accountability to Bernard J. Tyson, chairman and CEO. Vemana is currently chief product and experience officer at The Home Depot, where he is responsible for a consumer-centric vision and strategy that enhances user experience across the company. Kaiser Permanente provides healthcare services and health plans in the Mid-Atlantic States, Northern California, and Southern California.
- Riverbed Technology, CA, Sep 2019 - Riverbed Technology appointed Alpna J. Doshi, as the company’s first ever Chief Digital Officer (CDO). Previously, Doshi served as the Group CIO bringing worldwide digital transformation as an executive of Royal Philips in the Netherlands where she spearheaded complex transformation that enabled the global digital backbone for the organization. Prior to that, she was CIO of Reliance Communications. Riverbed Technology develops and provides application performance infrastructure solutions.
- Ripcord Digital, CA, Aug 2019 - Ripcord has announced the appointment of Wasim Khan as Chief Digital Officer. Khan is the former vice president for Xerox’s Global Digital Solutions business, former general manager of its DocuShare software division, and co-founder of innovative storytelling startup Smarter Biography. Ripcord Digital develops automation software for robotic digitization.
Data Strategy/Data Science/ AI/ Machine Learning/Analytics
- Yext, NY, Aug 2019 - Yext has appointed Christian J. Ward as the company's EVP, Chief Data Officer. Ward is a data industry veteran who will rejoin Yext in a new role, guiding the company's clients as they unleash the value of their data to provide Brand Verified Answers to consumer questions through knowledge graphs structured for search. Ward was Yext's EVP of Data Partnerships for more than five years, successfully managing global data partnerships during a critical phase of the company's development. Ward most recently served as Chief Data Officer for SourceMedia. Yext provides a knowledge engine platform that lets businesses manage their digital knowledge in the cloud and synchronize it to its knowledge network in North America and internationally.
- CopperPoint Insurance Company, AZ, Aug 2019 - CopperPoint Insurance Companies announced Barb Fuchs has joined the company as SVP, Data Management. Barb will serve as the business lead for CopperPoint’s Enterprise Data Warehouse program. She will oversee the data management function across the enterprise, including data governance and data management. Most recently, she was VP, Information Management and Analytics at Travelers. CopperPoint Insurance Company provides workers’ compensation insurance to businesses and their employees in Arizona.
- Omnitracs, TX, Sep 2019 - Omnitracs announced the appointment of Dr. Ashim Bose as Chief Data Scientist and VP of Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning (AI/ML) and Data. Before joining Omnitracs, he served as the Chief Product Officer for Analytics and AI at DXC Technology, where he launched several innovative data, analytics and AI products across the transportation and automotive industries. Omnitracs provides Software-as-a-Service (Saas) based fleet management solutions to the transportation industry.
Security Chiefs/ CISOs
- HSBC Bank, NY, Jul 2019 - Grant Bourzikas has been named Group CISO at HSBC, a banking and financial services organizations with 7,500 offices in more than 80 countries. Previously Bourzikas was with McAfee, where he served as CISO, and VP of McAfee Labs and Data Science.
- Hearst, NY, Aug 2019 - Hearst announced that Michael Palmer has been named CISO. Since 2014, Palmer has served as the first CISO for the National Football League.
- The New York Times, NY, Aug 2019 - Erinmichelle Perri is joining The New York Times as CISO. Erinmichelle joins The Times from MultiPlan, the technology-driven health care company, where she was its first CISO, and was responsible for the origination, design and advancement of its information security and IT risk management programs.
- Landmark Ventures, NY, Aug 2019 - Landmark Ventures named David Shefter as CISO and Venture Partner. David has held senior roles at Ziften, Citigroup, and IBM.
- Gemini Trust Co., NY, Aug 2019 - Gemini Trust Company, a leading cryptocurrency exchange and custodian, announced that David Damato has joined as its Chief Security Officer. Prior to joining Gemini, Damato served as Chief Security Officer at Tanium, the world's most valuable privately-held cybersecurity company.
Rest of the World
Tech Chief Appointments
- BAE Systems Plc, United Kingdom, Jul 2019 - BAE Systems named Travis Garriss as SVP and CIO. In this newly created position, Garriss will lead efforts to invest in and maintain critical systems to meet the company's expanding high-technology requirements, while preserving information security and governance. Garriss most recently served as CIO and vice president of User and Functional Enablement at Honeywell.
- Storebrand ASA, Norway, Aug 2019 - SVP IT Strategy & Architecture Trygve Håkedal has been appointed Group CIO and EVP of Technology.
- Aspen Insurance Holdings Limited, Bermuda, Sep 2019 - Aspen Insurance Holdings appointed Mary Kotch as CIO. Kotch, who will also join the Aspen executive committee, was in senior executive technology roles at Validus Group and American International Group.
- Medicover AB, Sweden, Sep 2019 - Medicover AB (publ) announced that Jaroslaw Urbanczyk will assume the role as CIO. Jarek has extensive experience of leading IT functions on divisional as well as on group level and most recent as Group CIO for Skanska. Jarek succeeds Anthony Cameron who retires after 18 years. Medicover AB provides diagnostic and healthcare services.
- Tufin Software Technologies Ltd., Israel, Aug 2019 - Michal Lewy-Harush joins Tufin as the company's CIO, bringing to the company more than 14 years of experience building and leading global technology organizations. Formerly the CIO of on-demand mobility company Gett, Lewy-Harush brings to the role an emphasis on high quality service delivery, proactivity, and customer experience to solve major business challenges through technology and innovation. Tufin Software Technologies develops, markets, and sells software-based solutions.
CTOs (Non Tech Vendor Product/ CIO/IT)
- Magyar Telekom, Hungary, Aug 2019 - Lubor Zatko has been appointed the chief technology and IT officer (CTIO) at Magyar Telekom. Zatko has 20 years of international experience in the areas of telecoms and IT, his previous responsibilities having ranged from mobile network development projects to fixed-line network transformations, and the completion of IT transformation and investment projects. He has been the network development and delivery director at Slovak Telekom since June 2016. Magyar Telekom Távközlési Nyilvánosan Müködö Részvénytársaság provides fixed line and mobile telecommunication services for public and business customers in Hungary and internationally.
CTOs - Tech Products/Tech Strategy
- Telefónica Deutschland Holding AG, Germany, Jul 2019 - Telefónica Deutschland announced that Mallik Rao (Yelamate Mallikarjuna Rao) will be the future CTO of the company. As of mid of October 2019, Mallik Rao is to succeed Cayetano Carbajo Martin. Since September 2015, he has been responsible for Vodafone Turkey in the function of Chief Technology & Information Officer .
- Pearson Plc, United Kingdom, Aug 2019 - Pearson named Satish Menon as SVP, CTO, Product Platforms. Satish brings complementary experience and leadership to Pearson from Shutterfly.
- IDEMIA France SAS, France, Aug 2019 - IDEMIA appointed Dan Kent as SVP, CTO, and a member of the Executive Committee for the Identity & Security business in North America. IDEMIA is creating a new group, which will be led by Dan, that includes Product Management, Information Technology, Information Security/Cyber Security and a newly consolidated Engineering group. Prior to joining IDEMIA, Dan served as the U.S. Public Sector CTO and Architecture Lead at Cisco Systems. IDEMIA France SAS develops and provides augmented identity solutions.
- Storebrand ASA, Norway, Aug 2019 - Chief Digital Officer Terje Løken has been appointed EVP of the new division Digital & Innovation. Storebrand ASA primarily provides insurance products and services for private individuals, companies, municipalities, and public sector in Norway and Sweden.
- Finnair Oyj, Finland, Sep 2019 - Finnair Oyj announced that Katri Harra-Salonen, Finnair's Chief Digital Officer (CDO) will leave the company, and Tomi Pienimäki (Dr.Tech, MSc.Econ), 46, has been appointed as Finnair Chief Digital Officer and a member of the Finnair Executive Board. Pienimäki currently serves as a member of the Board in Aallon Group. Previously, he has served as the CEO of Vincit and Jolla, and as the CIO of Itella and Hackmann.
Data Strategy/Data Science/ AI/ Machine Learning/Analytics
- Diaceutics Plc, United Kingdom, Aug 2019 - Diaceutics Plc announced that it has appointed Derek Hosty as Head of Global Data. Derek will lead Diaceutics data team as it helps more patients across the world access precision medicine drugs by driving better diagnostic testing through unique data insights. Prior to this new role in Diaceutics, Derek was General Manager for Cloud and Data at Openet. Diaceutics Plc provides data analytics and implementation services for pharmaceutical companies worldwide.
Recent Vell Placements
For Specific bios and announcements, please refer to our Website - www.vell.com
Carbonite (CARB), Online Backup for SMB (SaaS) - Board Members (2)
CEOs/ Presidents/ GMs
CTOs/ Engineering/ CIOs/CISOs
About Vell Executive Search
- Deep tech industry retained search experience
- More dedicated time as consultants have few parallel projects.
- Thorough understanding of your company’s business and culture
- Behavioral interviews and competency scorecards.
- Constant two-way, direct communication and 24 /7 availability.
- Insightful and detailed reference checking
- Broad reach of candidates: no hidden relationships. No off-limits.
- Analytics based search process.
Boston, MA 02110