Geographic Distribution of Open Tech Roles
So, in total, open roles:
- Heads of technology (CIOs, CTOs, CDOs) - 33
- CTOs (Product) - 13
- Data Chiefs - 11
- CISO - 21
In this Edition
- Open Tech Function Roles - North America by Function
- Open Tech Function Roles - Rest of World by Function
- Vell Executive Search Representative Placements
- About Vell Executive Search
The tech functions we cover in this newsletter are: EVP, Tech and Ops, CIO, CTO, Chief Digital Officer, Chief Product Officer (Product development and engineering), Data Science, Data Chiefs, Data Analytics chiefs (tech data analytics chiefs), Security, Privacy Chiefs, Blockchain chiefs.
Hope you enjoy this newsletter and find it useful. Suggestions and corrections are most welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks again and all the best,
Vell Executive Search is a retained executive search firm that specializes in recruiting technology execs for boards and executive roles, including Board Members, CEOs, Presidents, GMs, CTOs/Chief Digital Officers/VP Engineering, as well as tech executives and board members for the technology industry. Vell has built a reputation for recruiting talented high-performing leadership teams globally. www.vell.com.
Open Technology Roles
- CVS Health, RI, December 2017 - CVS Health CIO Stephen Gold left the company to pursue professional opportunities outside CVS Health.
- State Street Global Advisors, MA, Nov 2018 - The Corporate CIO’s role is to provide leadership for developing and implementing business and strategic technology initiatives. The Corporate Chief Information Officer directs the local planning, prioritization, and implementation of Business and Enterprise IT systems in support of corporate business operations, including end user computing, in order to improve cost effectiveness, service quality, and business mission development.
- Fox World Travel, WI, Aug 2018 - The CIO will be providing strategic and tactical planning, development, evaluation and coordination of the information and technology systems for Fox World Travel and its clients. Leading travel agency with award-winning vacation travel agents, business travel management programs and meetings and incentives planners.
- Roadrunner Transportation Systems, IL, Oct 2018 - Scott B. Cousins resigned as Roadrunner Transportation Systems' CIO effective October 26, 2018. No replacement announced yet.
- Pier 1 Imports, TX, Oct 2018 - Bhargav J. Shah, 42, Senior Vice President and CIO of Pier 1 Imports., notified the Company of his intent to resign from his position, effective November 30, 2018. Mr. Shah has nearly 20 years of broad-based technology, digital and supply chain experience. No replacement announced yet.
- ProAmpac, OH, Nov 2018 - The CIO will be accountable for directing the information and data integrity of the enterprise and its groups and for all Information Technology functions of the enterprise. ProAmpac is a leading global flexible packaging company with enhanced product offerings unparalleled in the industry.
- Cognosante, VA, Nov 2018 - The health IT company is seeking a CIO. The ideal candidate has successfully served as a CIO and is looking for a challenging opportunity with a Health Information Technology firm.
- BioAgilytix, NC, Nov 2018- The company is seeking a CIO to oversee the global IT function, including IT strategy; information security; infrastructure and architecture; scientific computing; application integrations and development; business process reengineering; networking; outsourcing; and end user support. BioAgilytix is a leading bioanalytical testing laboratory specializing in large molecule bioanalysis.
- University of Oklahoma, OK, Jun 2017 - Eddie Huebsch has been named interim CIO at the University. Huebsch has served OU IT for more than 16 years in a variety of leadership roles, most recently as associate VP of technology advancement.
- SouthEast Alaska Regional Health Consortium, AK, December 2017 - SEARHC is seeking a new CIO that will create a best in class, IT division. SEARHC is a non-profit tribal health consortium of 18 Native communities, which serves the health interests of the people of Southeast Alaska.
- Biotest, FL, Jan 2018 - Stuart Kippelman has taken on the temporary role of Interim CIO at the pharmaceutical company.
- The New School, NY, Aug 2018 - The New School is seeking a SVP of Information Technology and CIO to provide innovative vision, strategy and leadership for the coordination of technology policy and planning, and to manage information technology and systems in the academic, research and administrative functions of the University. The role will report to the COO.
- Valmont Industries, NE, Sept 2018 - John A. Kehoe, SVP, IT of Valmont Industries, resigned from his position with the company to pursue other opportunities. No replacement announced yet.
- Spok Holdings, VA, Aug 2018 - Thomas G. Saine, 55, the CIO of Virginia based global leader in healthcare communications Spok Holdings, passed away unexpectedly. Mr. Saine served as CIO of the Company since August 2008, and previously served as the company's CTO, President of GTES, an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of the company, VP of Corporate Technical Operations and VP, Technology and Integration.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, D.C., Aug 2018 - Beth Killoran, who served as CIO for HHS for the past two years, will help develop a strategic IT plan for the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, shifting roles. HHS CTO Ed Simcox will stand in as acting CIO. The move follows other high-level IT staff departures at the health agency this year, including the loss of former CTO Bruce Greenstein, as well as its CISO.
- Brown University, RI, Aug 2018 - Providence, RI based Brown University is seeking a Chief Digital and Information Officer. Russell Reynolds Associates has been retained for the search.
- Cambridge Bancorp, MA, Sep 2018 - Lynne M. Burrow, EVP/CIO, informed Cambridge Bancorp of her decision to retire. The company is seeking a CIO.
- Masco Cabinetry, MI, Sep 2018 - Masco Cabinetry is seeking a CIO who will partner with our business leaders to develop and execute an Information Technology (IT) strategy in support of our business goals.
- Taylor Corporation, MN, Sep 2018 - Taylor is seeking a CIO to lead its enterprise-wide information systems function based in Mankato, MN Headquarters.
- Humanscale, NJ, Nov 2018 - The CIO oversees the organization’s information technology strategies and initiatives. Plans for the company's technology needs and addresses tech-related problems. Serves as a leader and innovator for the company's information technology department. An excellent CIO must have a solid IT background and consistently keep up-to-date with advancements in the field. Most importantly, the CIO will create strategies in technology to improve operational and sales effectiveness .
- CarePoint Health System, NJ, Nov 2018 - The position of VP and CIO is an enterprise level function, reporting to the CFO of CarePoint Health and its related entities. Under strategic direction from the CEO and CFO, the VP/CIO, will lead and manage the strategy, development and implementation of information systems to support the needs of CarePoint Health.
- T.D. Williamson, OK, Nov 2018 - The company is seeking a CIO to direct the information systems activities, including systems strategy, design, programming and procedures, and operation of computer and related IT equipment for TDW’s world-wide operation. T. D. Williamson, Inc. develops and manufactures pipeline equipment and provides services for onshore and offshore applications.
Chief Digital Officers (with IT)
- Quadra Chemicals, QC, Canada, Aug 2018 - Quadra Chemicals is looking for a Chief Digital Officer (CDO). Reporting to the CEO the CDO will be a part of the senior leadership team. The successful candidate has the ability to help lead Quadra into the future as an agile organization. Quadra Chemicals is a growing and dynamic; industry diversified chemical distribution company with facilities across Canada.
- American Geophysical Union (AGU), Washington, DC, Aug 2018 - AGU is home to more than 60,000 scientists from 139 countries. Reporting to the EVP, Strategic and Organizational Excellence, the Chief Digital Officer will be responsible for supporting digital products and services and information technology that serve AGU’s enterprise goals. Reporting to the Chief Digital Officer are Business Data and Intelligence, Association Management System, Web Services, Quality Assurance, and Help Desk management.
Chief Technology Officers (Non Tech Vendor Product/ CIO/IT)
- Shake Shack, NY, Jun 2018 - Shake Shack's IT chief Phil Crawford left. He has joined GODIVA Chocolatier as CTO. Shake Shack owns, operates, and licenses Shake Shack restaurants (Shacks) in the United States and internationally.
- Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams, NC, Aug 2018 - The CTO will be responsible for overseeing all technical aspects of the company’s technology needs. In addition, the CTO will lead and support the growth and expansion of our ERP, POS and eCommerce systems and will require a proven background in both manufacturing and retail setting. The Company had also initiated a CEO search in April 2018 of this year.
- UT MD Anderson Cancer Center - Cancer Prevention Research Training Program, TX, Jul 2018 - Reporting directly to senior leadership, the Chief Technology and Digital Officer is responsible for strategic leadership of all technical aspects of the institution. MD Anderson Cancer Center is committed to encouraging good health and staying true to its mission to end cancer.
CTOs - Tech Products/ Tech Strategy
- Analog Devices, MA, Sept 2018 - Peter Real informed Analog Devices that he was resigning from his position as SVP and CTO of the Company, due to health reasons. Before the CTO role, he was VP, High Speed Products. There is still no announcement on who will replace him.
- DISH Network Corporation, CO, Aug 2018 - Vivek Khemka notified DISH Network Corporation that he was resigning as EVP and CTO. The organization is responsible for technology strategy, product management, engineering, product development, supply chain management, broadcast operations and OTT delivery. No replacements announced yet. He was also most recently CTO, Sling TV.
- Polycom, CA, Jul 2018 - Polycom is searching for a CTO/VP, Engineering to support the EVP of Worldwide Engineering. This position will be located in Austin, TX, Westminster, CO, or San Jose, CA.
- FISION Corporation, MN, Jun 2018 - Effective Jun 15, 2018, Wade Anderson resigned as CTO (as well as Chief Product Officer). The Company develops proprietary cloud-based software solutions to automate the marketing functions and activities of its customers.
- Hayes Software Systems, TX, Jul 2018 - Reporting to the CEO, the CTO to provide overall strategic and operational direction for the growth of the current suite of products and the creation of future ones. The role provides someone with the ability to help lead a fast paced and high growth company through a technical and product evolution. Hayes Software Systems is an energetic, well-established and rapidly growing, software/SAAS company in the education vertical.
- Sparkfund, WA, D.C., Jul 2018 - Sparkfund, an energy technology, software, and finance company based in D.C., seeks a CTO to join its executive team and report to the CEO.
- Conformis, MA, Sep 2018 - Daniel Steines, M.D, M.S., CTO, of Conformis, announced his resignation from the company. He will assist the company in transitioning his responsibilities to other executive officers through the date of his departure and will continue to serve as a consultant to the company following his departure.
- Arable Labs, CA, Aug 2018 - Arable is looking for a CTO, an experienced technologist to lead the technical vision and teams across the connected device platform, data science systems, API platform, and web & mobile applications. A pioneer in decision agriculture, Arable Labs builds affordable tools that help people collect and synthesize site-specific agricultural data. The company’s mission is to achieve global impact by providing the measurements, insights, and predictions that enable growers to recognize and address risk. Through access to ground-truth knowledge, Arable empowers agricultural stakeholders to more effectively manage natural resources and lower food waste throughout the supply chain.
- Federal Reserve Information Technology, VA, Aug 2018 - The Chief Technology and Strategy Officer (CTSO) reports to the Federal Reserve System CIO and is responsible for leading the development and execution of a System-wide Information Technology Strategic plan to support the business and IT priorities of the Federal Reserve System.
- Accelerize, CA, Feb 2018 - Dave Stewart, CTO of Accelerize, resigned from his position. Accelerize Inc. provides software solutions for businesses to enhance their digital advertising spend in the United States, Europe, and internationally.
- JPMorgan Chase & Co, DE, Nov 2018 - The global financial services firm is seeking a Data Governance Officer, VP to conduct end to end process reviews to determine controls effectiveness, gaps, efficiencies and deriving suitable recommendations for resolve both tactically / strategically.
- Lockheed Martin, TX, Nov 2018 - The Aeronautics Data Officer (ADO) will be responsible for Aeronautics’ enterprise-wide data and information strategy as well as its governance, control, policy development, and effective exploitation. The Aeronautics Data Officer has accountability and responsibility for information protection and privacy, information governance, data quality and data life cycle management, along with the exploitation of data assets to create business value across the Aeronautics enterprise.
- Kaiser Permanente, CA, May 2017- Chief Data Officer Matt Widwick went to Barclay’s as Head of Global Data Management on May 2017. The job has been open and listed on various sites.
- Equifax, GA, Nov 2018 - The Enterprise Data Officer will lead this function and will report to the Chief Data & Analytics Officer.
- Sentry Data Systems, FL, Nov 2018 - The Healthcare Intelligence company is seeking a Chief Data Officer (CDO), who will manage teams across Sentry to ensure Sentry Data Services are designed, implemented and operated as per defined policies, standards, as well as industry good practices.
- MUFG Investor Services, NY, Aug 2018 - MUFG Investor Services is a subsidiary of Mitsubishi UFJ Fund Services and is fully licensed to act as a Fund Administration service provider. They are seeking a Chief Data Officer (CDO) who will lead the enterprise data strategy and department in line with the overall strategy of MFS (US) mandated by the boards of the holding company.
- Granville Homes, CA, Jul 2018 - Granville Homes is seeking a Chief Information/Data Officer, reporting to the President. The CIDO must have extensive experience with data organization, preparation, analysis, governance, and making such data available to stakeholders. The candidate will champion data as a strategic asset and a driver of innovation and business impact. The level of the role is unclear.
- ChenMed, FL, Jul 2018 - ChenMed, Miami based primary care medical centers for seniors, is seeking Chief Data Officer (CDO) who will be responsible for the design, development, deployment, maintenance, enhancement and support of hardware/software for structuring/organizing, storing, retrieving, analyzing, and reporting strategic enterprise information and operational/production data. The level of the role is unclear.
- The State of Montana, MT, Nov 2018 - The Office of Public Instruction (OPI) is looking for a visionary for its newly created position of Chief Data Officer (CDO). The primary responsibility of the CDO is to manage the flow, accuracy, and security of agency data from collection from school districts through publication in the form of press releases, EDFacts submissions, ESSA Report Cards, GEMS reports and dashboards, and reports prepared for the Board of Public Education, the legislature, the governor's office, and others. The CDO develops the data strategy for the OPI.
- Air Force Research Laboratory, Ohio, Nov 2018 - The Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) is looking to hire a Chief Data Officer, the role reporting to the AFRL Commander.
Security Chiefs/ CISOs
- Allergan plc, NJ, Aug 2018 - The CISO is accountable globally for protecting the confidentiality, integrity and availability of Allergan’s vast information assets across an R&D, supply chain and commercial enterprise spanning ~70 countries. Allergan plc (NYSE: AGN) is a bold, global pharmaceutical company and a leader in a new industry model - Growth Pharma.
- Leidos, TN, Nov 2018 - Leidos is seeking a Cyber Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) in Amarillo TX or Oak Ridge TN. The Information Solutions and Services (IS&S) organization is dedicated to providing information services and technology that enable staff to be productively engaged in the NNSA nuclear security mission.
- Mylan, PA, Aug 2018 - Mylan Inc is seeking a CISO who will lead Mylan's Global Information Security function, reporting directly to the Chief Administrative and Compliance Officer. Mylan N.V. is an American global generic and specialty pharmaceuticals company.
- Fifth Third Bank, OH, Aug 2018 - The bank is looking for a CISO who will be responsible for information security policy and the coordination of information security efforts across the organization.
- Twitter, CA, March 2018 - Twitter’s CISO Michael Coates is leaving the company. Coates’ interim replacement is Joseph Camilleri, a senior manager for information security and risk.
- Inova Health System, VA, Aug 2018 - Reporting to the CIO, the CISO, will be responsible for the overall organizational security strategy, security program oversight and security architecture development for the organization. Inova is a nationally recognized, comprehensive network of hospitals, outpatient facilities, primary and specialty care physician practices, and health and wellness programs.
- Silicon Valley Bank, CA, Aug 2018 - SVB is seeking a CISO, a visionary leader responsible for overseeing the operations of the company's security solutions and compliance to ensure that information assets are adequately protected with acceptable levels of controls. The level of the role is unclear and has recently been open, after the appointment of both a CIO and a CTO on August 2nd, 2018. According to LinkedIN, the company also has Chief Security Officer and Chief Privacy Officer, since 2007.
- comScore, VA, Aug 2018 - comScore’s CISO is responsible for establishing and maintaining the enterprise vision, strategy, architecture, and a multi-year roadmap that ensures that the company’s information assets are adequately protected. The CISO reports to the Chief Information and Technology Operations Officer.
- TriHealth, OH, Aug 2018 - The CISO will be responsible for establishing and maintaining a corporate wide information security management program to ensure that information assets are adequately protected.
- GuidePoint Security, FL, Aug 2018 - GuidePoint Security is seeking a CISO (“CISO”), who will be responsible for securing GuidePoint’s operations, both internally and client-facing. GuidePoint’s CISO also serves as GuidePoint’s CTO, and is responsible for GuidePoint’s technology decisions and implementations.
- Health Quest Systems, NY, Jul 2018 - The CISO is responsible for establishing and maintaining a corporate-wide information security program to ensure information assets are adequately protected.
- MongoDB, NY, Nov 2018 - MongoDB is seeking an experienced Chief Security Officer to lead their company-wide security and compliance efforts. This leader will build and manage a world-class security organization focused on driving a holistic approach to corporate and product security, as well as ensuring compliance with industry and regulatory policies. MongoDB is a free and open-source cross-platform document-oriented database program.
- Seattle Children's, WA, Aug 2018 - The children's hospital CISO serves as the senior information security leader and HIPAA Information Security Officer for Seattle Children’s. The position has primary accountability for providing strategic leadership and direction to develop information security practices that minimize risk and create a strong information security posture for Seattle Children’s.
- Peraton, Herndon, VA, Jul 2018 - The Company is seeking a senior CISO for its Corporate HQ in Herndon, VA. Peraton provides innovative, reliable solutions to the nation’s most sensitive and mission-critical programs and systems. Peraton has significant experience providing highly differentiated secure communications, space, and technology solutions to key customers, and has become a trusted partner on missions that are critical to the security priorities of the United States.
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America, NY, Jul 2018 - Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective CISO who will play a significant and leading role in implementing and supporting the Federations’ information security program. The level of the role is unclear.
- Qumulus Solutions, IN, Aug 2018 - Qumulus is seeking a CISO, responsible for overseeing all aspects of risk management and compliance for Qumulus and its client companies: ensuring that all procedures, protocols, and strategies are fully implemented to protect client companies and their assets. Qumulus Solutions, a member of the Graham Allen Partners family of technology companies, provides digital security compliance and prevention services to protect our clients’ confidential business information from unauthorized access.
- Brighton Health Plan Solutions, NY, Aug 2018 - The CISO position reports to the CIO, is a member of the IT leadership team and serves a key role in company leadership, working closely with senior leaders. The VP, CISO is a executive responsible for aligning security initiatives with enterprise programs and business objectives, ensuring that information assets and technologies are adequately protected.
- Reciprocity, CA, Aug 2018 - Reciprocity is seeking a CISO, who will direct strategy and execute its internal Information Security Risk and Compliance Program. Reciprocity is changing the information security (InfoSec) landscape by providing companies an easy-to-use solution for managing compliance.
- University of Michigan, MI, Sep 2018 - The Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) is the highest level executive dedicated to IT security at the University of Michigan.
- Dataminr, New York, Sep 2018 - The Chief Information Security Officer will be tasked with developing and managing a world-class, forward-looking infrastructure and application security program from the ground up. Dataminr is a leading company that turns social media into real-time, actionable alerts.
- Omnicom Media Group, NY, Nov 2018 - The company is seeking a Chief Information Security Officer (CISO), who uses advanced understanding of industry information security practices such as ISO 27000, SSAE16, CoBIT and other appropriate frameworks to ensure business systems and operations meet established security standards. Omnicom Media Group is the media services division of Omnicom Group Inc.
Rest of the World
Open Tech Chief Roles
Chief Information Officers / CTOs as CIOs
- Eltek, Israel, Jul 2018 - Eltek Ltd. announced that it received notice from Mr. Avi Gal, the company's VP COO & CIO of his resignation due to personal reasons. Eltek Ltd. manufactures, markets, and sells printed circuit boards (PCBs) in Israel, Europe, North America, India, and internationally.
- Shanghai Electric Group Company, China, March 2018 - The board of directors of Shanghai Electric Group Company Limited announced due to personal reasons, Ms. Li Jing has tendered her resignation as CIO of the company, with effect from 29 March 2018.
- Manila Electric Company, Philippines, Jun 2018 - The company announced that Mr. Ernie G. Imperial, VP and Head, Corporate Information and Technology of the company, will be resigning, to explore other career opportunities.
- Compagnie Financière Richemont, Switzerland, May 2018 - Dr. Jean-Jacques Van Oosten has relinquished his responsibilities as CTO of the Swiss luxury goods giant, for personal reasons after a brief period of the newly created role.
Chief Digital Officers
- Siemens, Norway, Jul 2018 - Siemens seeks a Chief Digitalization Officer with responsibilities like - developing and operating the Company's digitalization efforts externally and internally, Identify customer needs, suggest and sell solutions in the market, Position Siemens as a digital partner at our customers, Establish contact at the highest management level at the customers, Be a link for the digitization effort internally and help departments interact, follow technology development and trends, and ensure that they are in the forefront of digitalization as well and Contribute to developing digitalization skills internally.
Chief Technology Officer (Products)
- Compagnie Financière Richemont, Switzerland, May 2018 - Dr. Jean-Jacques Van Oosten has relinquished his responsibilities as CTO of the Swiss luxury goods giant, for personal reasons after a brief period of the newly created role.
- SAP, Germany, Aug 2018 - The SAP Leonardo Machine Learning team is looking for a CTO/ Chief Architect for SAP Leonardo Machine Learning, who will define technology strategy and architecture across Leonardo platforms and consuming applications. Continuously injecting external state of the art and best practices, who will engage with platform and application teams to drive consistent implementation, lead the ML architecture community of practice and become a trusted advisor to senior leadership.
Chief Data Officers, Data Privacy and Data Protection
- Publicis Groupe, France, Jul 2018 - Publicis Groupe chief data officer Jason Kodish announced his resignation. As Chief Data Officer, Kodish has been driving the collective power of the talent within the Data and Analytics practices within the Groupe, working as a leadership team that is uniting a team of more than 3,500 engineers, data scientists, analysts and tech leaders. The company is looking for Kodish's successor.
- Deutsche Börse, Germany, Aug 2018 - Deutsche Börse is looking for a CISO, to manage a Second Line of Defense for Deutsche Börse. He/she will be responsible to specify and maintain an information security management framework that ensures adequate protection of information assets. He/she will identify, evaluate and manage information security risks with a focus on safety and integrity, meeting compliance and regulatory requirements.
Recent Vell Placements
For Specific bios and announcements, please refer to our Website - www.vell.com
Carbonite (CARB), Online Backup for SMB (SaaS) - Board Members (2)
CEOs/ Presidents/ GMs
CTOs/ Engineering/ CIOs/CISOs
About Vell Executive Search
- Deep tech industry retained search experience
- More dedicated time as consultants have few parallel projects.
- Thorough understanding of your company’s business and culture
- Behavioral interviews and competency scorecards.
- Constant two-way, direct communication and 24 /7 availability.
- Insightful and detailed reference checking
- Broad reach of candidates: no hidden relationships. No off-limits.
- Analytics based search process.
Vell Executive Search
Boston, MA 02110