Here is their geographic distribution:
Geographic Distribution of Open Tech CEO Roles & Appointments
Reasons for CEO departures of Note
Conduct: Intel Semiconductor, Rambus (new CEO Appointed in October) and Athenahealth
Activist investor pressure: Elliott management was involved in the following CEO transitions: Athenahealth for CEO change and possible sale of the company, but Elliott may be holding out for a lower price; Commvault, after disappointing results; Convergys, after its 30 year CEO decided to retire, the company sold itself to Synnex (transaction is pending).
Poor results: FTD, StrataSys, Tesserent and others.
- Flex CEO Michael M. McNamara to retire in December 2018
- Videotron CEO Manon Brouillette to transition out after more than 14 years of service.
- Everbridge founder and CEO Jaime Ellertson will transition in July 2019.
- Deluxe Corporation will transition in the Spring of 2019, EFI long term CEO retirement.
Mergers and Acquisitions / Spin-offs
- Centrify: Thoma Bravo acquired a majority interest and appointed a new CEO.
- Charles River Systems: State Street completed its acquisition of Charles River and appointed its Global Exchange business leader John Plansky as CEO of Charles River.
- Escher Group: Hanover Active Equity Fund LP acquired Escher Group earlier this year and the CEO role was open since then. A new CEO is appointed lately.
- SigmaTEK Systems: Battery Ventures acquired software company SigmaTEK Systems and named a new CEO, Robbie Payne, replacing SigmaTEK founder Ben TerreBlanche.
Surprise resignations, either after a long time, or a very short time:
- TiVo’s CEO resigned after less than one year on the job
- Sigma Designs CEO resigned abruptly after 36 years on the job
- VizExplorer’s CEO Ron Frankel who joined in April 2018 has left. A new CEO has been appointed in October
Long term open roles: Marchex has been without a CEO since October 2016. The call analytics and call tracking company has had an “office of the CEO”.
7 Newly Opened Roles - Geographic Distribution
- US (4): U.S. Auto Parts Network, CA; Digital Guardian, MA; Blizzard Entertainment, CA; Kymeta Corporation, WA
- Canada (1): Videotron, QC, Canada
- Europe (1): 4Sight Holdings, Mauritius
- APAC (1): Flex, Singapore
For all 43 Open Tech CEO Roles & All Appointments
Most active states/countries for Open Tech CEO Roles
- 14 of the 31 are in the West Mountain/Pacific area, with 11 open roles being in California. In EMEA, Sweden has 2 open roles.In Asia Pacific, Malaysia has 2 open roles.
Note: some CEO resignations immediately announce the successors.
The most active states/countries for Incoming CEOs
- 17 of the 34 are in the West Mountain/Pacific area, with 4 are in the West Mountain region all 13 appointments being in California in West Pacific.
- 9 in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, with 3 appointments in Massachusetts and New Jersey each, and 2 in Pennsylvania
- 3 in South Central.
Appointments: There were five women appointed CEOs and 38 men. Three of the five women are in Europe (one each in Denmark, Sweden and Gibraltar) and two in California (Nextdoor and Benetech).
There are two net new women:
- Men replacing Women: 2
- Women replacing Men: 4
- Men replacing Men: 36
- Women replacing Women: 1
60% of women CEOs got hired externally; 44.7% of men CEOs got hired externally
- 40% of women appointed were internal appointments: promotions or from the existing board.
- 55.3% of the men appointed were “internal”, i.e. promotions or from the existing board.
- This is the reverse of what we have seen where the majority of women are promoted vs. hired externally and vice versa for the men.
- The number of women is five so the reversal could be reversed with one flip. However, internal promotions in the men is more significant.
Geographic Diversity of Women CEO Appointments
- 5 women appointed were – 2 in the US (both in California), 3 in EMEA (1 each in Denmark, Sweden, and Gibraltar).
Sources of CEO Appointments
20 out of 43 CEOs appointed were sourced externally (46%)
20 externally appointed CEOs - 17 were men (85%) and 3 women
Hope you enjoy this newsletter and find it useful. Suggestions and corrections are most welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks again and all the best,
Vell Executive Search is a retained executive search firm that specializes in recruiting technology execs for boards and executive roles, including Board Members, CEOs, Presidents, GMs, CTOs/Chief Digital Officers/VP Engineering, SVP Sales, Chief Revenue Officers, CMOs, and CFOs. Vell has built a reputation for recruiting talented high-performing leadership teams globally www.vell.com.
In this Edition
Open Tech CEO Roles: United States, Canada, EMEA, Asia Pacific, Latin America
New Tech CEO Appointments: United States, Canada, EMEA, Asia Pacific, Latin America
Vell Executive Search Representative Placements: Board, CEOs, GMs, CTOs, CFOs, SVP Sales, SVP, Marketing, CIOs, Chief Digital Officers
About Vell Executive Search
Open Tech CEO Roles
Open Tech CEO Roles - United States
- Northeast & Mid Atlantic: CBS Corporation, NY; athenahealth, MA; Commvault Systems, NJ; Everbridge, MA, Digital Guardian, MA.
- Midwest: Convergys Corp., OH; Deluxe Corp., MN; FTD Companies, IL; Stratasys, MN; Nortech Systems, MN.
- South Atlantic: HotApp Blockchain, MD.
- South Central: Harte Hanks, TX
- Pacific: Intel Corp., CA; Electronics for Imaging, CA; TiVo Corporation, CA; QAD, CA; U.S. Auto Parts Network, CA; Sigma Designs, CA; Marchex, WA; Immersion Corporation, CA; BSQUARE, WA; Blizzard Entertainment, CA; Mitek Systems, CA; Airgain, CA; Kymeta Corporation, WA; Digital Locations, CA; Peregrine Semiconductor, CA.
Northeast Open Tech CEO Roles
- CBS Corporation, NY, Sep 2018 - CBS Corporation announced a settlement agreement with National Amusements Inc., members of the CBS Board, and related parties. Concurrently with the settlement, Leslie Moonves will depart as Chairman, President and CEO. COO Joseph Ianniello will serve as President and Acting CEO while the Board conducts a search for a permanent successor. The lawsuit filed in May by CBS grew out of the conflict between CBS Corp. chairman-CEO Leslie Moonves and NAI president Shari Redstone over the fate of CBS and the proposed merger with Viacom, which NAI also controls. CBS argues that Shari Redstone has breached her fiduciary duty as a CBS board member by seeking to merge CBS with Viacom.
- athenahealth, MA, Jun 2018 - Jonathan Bush is stepping down as CEO, President & Director of athenahealth, following pressure from activist investor Elliott Management. Chairman Jeffrey Immelt has been appointed as Executive Chairman, until the appointment by the Board of a new CEO. CFO Marc Levine to assume greater day to day operational oversight. Bush, a nephew of former U.S. President George H.W. Bush, founded Athenahealth in 1997 and has been in the spotlight following media reports of inappropriate comments and also issued an apology after it was revealed that that he had assaulted his former wife 14 years ago. The company is also reviewing options for sale in addition to conducting a CEO search.
- Commvault Systems, NJ, May 2018 - Commvault global leader in enterprise backup, recovery, archive and the cloud, began a search for a new CEO in agreement with Elliott Management, an activist investor and after the company announced disappointing financial results. Neil Robert Hammer will continue to lead Commvault as Chairman, CEO and President until his successor is appointed.
- Everbridge, MA, Jun 2018 - Everbridge announced that long-time Chairman and CEO Jaime Ellertson will transition to executive chairman in mid to late 2019. Everbridge is a global leader in critical event management and enterprise safety software applications.
- Digital Guardian, MA, Oct 2018 - Digital Guardian announced that Ken Levine has stepped down as president and CEO for personal reasons. Digital Guardian has initiated a CEO search, and Paul Ciriello, an investor and member of Digital Guardian’s Board of Directors, will act as Interim CEO to oversee the company’s day-to-day operations. Levine will remain on the Board of Directors and also act as a strategic advisor during the CEO search and transition.
Midwest Open Tech CEO Roles
- Convergys Corporation, OH, Jan 2018 - President and CEO Andrea Ayers will transition from her role following a nearly 30-year career at the Customer Experience outsourcing giant. Ayers continued to lead the company as CEO and board member. As of 6/28/2018, the company, encouraged by activist Elliott Management, has sold itself to Synnex, another call center company. It is unclear that the search is still ongoing, as the deal has not closed.
- Deluxe Corporation, MN, Apr 2018 - Lee Schram, 56,will retire by the spring of 2019, as CEO of the Company. An executive search has been initiated. Shoreview-based Deluxe is Minnesota's 22nd-largest public company and sells bank checks, check-security features and profit programs for financial institutions and small businesses.
- FTD Companies, IL, Jul 2018 - John C. Walden stepped down as President, CEO and board member, as the company restructures and considers alternatives for selling itself or merging with another entity. FTD appointed Scott D. Levin, currently FTD’s EVP, General Counsel and Secretary, as interim President and CEO. As a result of these corporate restructuring efforts, the COO position held by Simha Kumar has been eliminated, and Jeffrey D. T. Severts, VP and chief marketing officer, left the company following a transition of his marketing responsibilities to Jay Topper. It is unclear as to whether the company is conducting a CEO search. FTD Companies is a floral wire service provider and retailer.
- Stratasys, MN, May 2018 - Ilan Levin has decided to step down from his positions as CEO and Director of the 3D printer and additive manufacturing company, after less than two years on the job. Elchanan (Elan) Jaglom, the company’s current Chairman of the Board, will serve as CEO until a successor is appointed. The company is conducting a CEO Search. Stratasys had stumbled in recent quarters, with Levin noting earlier this month that the company experienced some slow down in orders for high-end systems in government, automotive, and aerospace.
- Nortech Systems, MN, Aug 2018 - Rich Wasielewski, president and CEO of Nortech Systems since 2014, announced he will be retiring. Nortech Systems has retained an executive recruitment to find a CEO. He will continue to lead the company during the search and subsequent transition period. Nortech is a full-scale provider of contract design, engineering, production and post-market services for electro-mechanical products.
South Atlantic Open CEO Roles
- HotApp Blockchain, MD, Aug 2018 - HotApp Blockchain announced the resignation of Lee Wang Kei as CEO and CTO. The board appointed Chairman Mr. Chan Heng Fai as the Company’s Acting CEO. Mr. Chan previously served as the company’s CEO. The company offers HotApp, a community communications ecosystem software application for users to connect with local and global communities. .
South Central Open Tech CEO Roles
- Harte Hanks, TX, Aug 2018 - Harte Hanks announced that Karen Puckett will be stepping down as President and CEO. In the interim, the Board of Directors has created a temporary Office of the CEO composed of board members Jack Griffin and Martin Reidy. Also joining the Office of the CEO are Harte Hanks CFO Jon Biro, and EVP, Contact Centers & CHRO Andrew Harrison. Harte Hanks provides marketing technology services.
US West Pacific Open Tech CEO Roles
- Intel Corporation, CA, Jun 2018 - Brian Krzanich resigned as CEO and board member of Intel, after violating company policy for a relationship with an employee. The Board has named CFO Robert Swan Interim CEO.
- TiVo Corporation, CA, Jul 2018 - TiVo Corporation announced that its board member Raghavendra Rau has been named as interim President and CEO. The appointment follows Enrique Rodriguez's personal decision to resign from his role as its President, CEO and a member of the Board, after less than a year in the role, to assume CTO role at Liberty Global in Europe.
- QAD, CA, Aug 2018 - QAD announced that Karl Lopker, 66, CEO, passed away on August 25, 2018. QAD will continue with the management arrangements recently announced for the foreseeable future. The Board of Directors will consider options for a permanent CEO appointment in due course. QAD is a leading provider of flexible, cloud-based enterprise software and services for global manufacturing companies.
- U.S. Auto Parts Network, CA, Oct 2018 - U.S. Auto Parts Network announced that Mr. Aaron Coleman has resigned as CEO and Director of the company to pursue other interests. In connection with Mr. Coleman’s resignation, the company has initiated a search for a new CEO and until one is appointed.
- Sigma Designs, CA, Jan 2018 - Sigma Designs' President & CEO Thinh Tran has resigned abruptly after 36 years in the role. Mr. Elias Nader, Sigma's current SVP and CFO, has been appointed as interim President and CEO of the high performance system-on-a-chip semiconductor company.
- Marchex, WA, Oct 2016 - Pete Christothoulou resigned as CEO in October 2016. An office of the Chairman and CEO for the call analytics and call tracking company is still in place as of August 31st, 2018.
- Immersion Corporation, CA, Aug 2018 - Immersion Corporation announced that Tom Lacey as iCEO and Board Member. Lacey succeeds Carl Schlachte, the company’s prior Interim CEO, who is resigning as a director of Immersion. From May 2013 to June 2017, Lacey served as CEO and a director of Xperi Corporation. Lead independent director Sharon Holt has been named Chairman of the Immersion Board. Immersion Corporation creates, designs, develops, and licenses haptic technologies.
- BSQUARE, WA, May 2018 - Jerry D. Chase has stepped down as President and CEO and Mr. Chase will also be stepping down from his board seat. Going forward, BSQUARE will be led by board chairman Andrew Harries who will assume an expanded role as executive chairman, and by Kevin Walsh, VP Marketing, who will serve as acting CEO while continuing to oversee marketing and corporate strategy. Mr. Chase will transition into an advisory role with BSQUARE. The company is conducting a search for a new CEO. BSQUARE is an Industrial IoT Solutions provider.
- Blizzard Entertainment, CA, Oct 2018 - Co-founder Michael Morhaime will cease to serve as the president and CEO of Blizzard Entertainment. While Morhaime will stay on as a strategic adviser, World of Warcraft executive producer J. Allen Brack has taken over as president of Blizzard Entertainment.
- Mitek Systems, CA, Aug 2018 - Mitek Systems announced that its CEO, Jim DeBello, will be transitioning out of his role in January 2019. In addition, Bruce Hansen, the company's lead independent director, will immediately assume the role of Chairman of the Board and will assist with the transition process. Mitek Systems develops, markets, and sells mobile image capture and identity verification software solutions for enterprise customers worldwide.
- Airgain, CA, May 2018 - Airgain announced the resignation of Chuck Myers, CEO, after leading the antenna company for more than seven years. Chairman James K. Sims will assume the role of Interim CEO as the company searches for a new permanent CEO. Airgain is a leading provider of embedded antenna technologies used to enable high performance wireless networking across a broad range of home, enterprise, automotive, and industrial devices.
- Kymeta Corporation, WA, Oct 2018 - Kymeta announced that CEO Dr. Nathan Kundtz will leave his current role with Kymeta next month and will continue in an advisory role to the company going forward. Marc Stolzman, Kymeta’s President and CFO, will guide the company’s day-to-day operations in the interim while the Kymeta board of directors conducts a global search for the next Kymeta CEO. Intelsat, the operator of the world’s first Globalized Network, acquired an equity stake in Kymeta in 2017 and Intelsat CEO joined Kymeta board.
- Digital Locations, CA, Jun 2018 - Gerard F. Hug, CEO and a director of Digital Locations, resigned from his positions as the Company’s CEO and member of the board. William E. Beifuss, Jr., the company’s President and Acting CFO was appointed to serve as Interim CEO of the company. Digital Locations is a provider of proximity-based data solutions that help businesses better understand and interact with consumers in various physical locations.
- Peregrine Semiconductor, CA, Sep 2018 - Stefan Wolff will step down as CEO. The former CEO and current CTO, Jim Cable, will serve as pro tem CEO. pSemi Corporation is a Murata company driving semiconductor integration.
Open Tech CEO Roles - Canada
- British Columbia: Absolute Software, BC; HIVE Blockchain Technologies, BC; CounterPath, BC.
- Quebec: Videotron , QC
Details of Open Tech CEO Roles - Canada
- Absolute Software, BC, Canada, Jan 2018 - Absolute Software named Steve Munford, an accomplished cybersecurity industry leader, as interim CEO. Absolute’s former CEO, Geoff Haydon, resigned as both CEO and member of the Board.
- Videotron, QC, Canada, Oct 2018 - Quebecor announced the departure of Manon Brouillette after more than 14 years of service, including the last 5 as President and CEO of Videotron. Ms. Brouillette will leave at the end of fiscal 2018. It has not yet named a successor but will do so “in due course.”
- HIVE Blockchain Technologies, BC, Canada, Aug 2018 - HIVE announced Harry Pokrandt is retiring from his full time role as President, CEO and Director. Frank Holmes, the company's Chairman, will act as Interim Executive Chairman and Olivier Roussy Newton, a Director of the company, will act as Interim President to ensure a smooth transition of management duties. The Board of Directors has begun a search for a new CEO and will take due care and appropriate time in finding the right candidate to propel HIVE into its next phase of growth and development.
- CounterPath Corporation, BC, Canada, Sep 2018 - CounterPath Corporation announced that Donovan Jones has resigned as President, CEO and director. David Karp, CFO, will serve in an interim role as CEO and lead company until a new CEO is appointed. Desktop and mobile SIP-based VoIP softphones and solutions for enterprises and service providers. Home of the industry favorite Bria and X-Lite clients.
Open Tech CEO Roles - EMEA
- Sweden: Mycronic AB; Cherry AB
- UK: Telit Communications plc
- Netherlands: VEON, Netherlands
- Mauritius: 4Sight Holdings Limited
Details of Open Tech CEO Roles - EMEA
- VEON, Netherlands, Mar 2018 - CEO Jean-Yves Charlier left the company. The Supervisory Board is undertaking a search for a new CEO. The company offers PCB assembly manufacturing, box build assembly, and prototyping and engineering services.
- Telit Communications plc, UK, Sep 2018 - Telit Communications PLC announced that it has reached an agreement with Yosi Fait, the Group's CEO, by which he will cease to be a Director and CEO with immediate effect. Paolo Dal Pino, the non executive Chairman who has previously held a number of CEO roles, becomes Executive Chairman on an interim basis. A process will now begin to recruit a new CEO. Telit provides Internet of Things (IoT) deployment solutions.
- Mycronic AB, Sweden, Feb 2018 - Lena Olving left as President and CEO during 2019. The process to find a successor continues. Mycronic provides production solutions for the electronics assembly, display and packaging.
- Cherry AB, Sweden, May 2018 - Anders Holmgren, CEO and President, left the Swedish gaming company. Gunnar Lind is acting CEO and will remain in this position to ascertain that the group develops according to plan until a permanent CEO is appointed.
- 4Sight Holdings Limited, Mauritius, Oct 2018 - 4Sight Holdings Limited announced that there will be a change in the roles of directors with the move of Professor Antonie van Rensburg from CEO to Chief Digital Officer, with effect from 31 December 2018. This decision is largely due to the demand for Industry 4.0 solutions being far greater than anticipated and the difficulty in securing a suitable candidate to lead the digital transformation strategy. Going forward, Antonie will drive this strategy and be more customer facing. The Financial Director, Mr. Jacques Hattingh will focus on the other day-to-day operational duties and responsibilities of CEO. Antonie and Jacques will accordingly act in a joint CEO capacity until the Board completes its task of identifying a suitable successor to Antonie to drive the group's other expansion and international strategies, in order to ensure continuity.
Open Tech CEO Roles - Asia Pacific
- Singapore: Flex
- China: Link Motion
- Taiwan: Innolux Corporation
- Malaysia: Telekom Malaysia Berhad, Maxis Berhad
- New Zealand: 2degrees
- Australia: Tesserent
Details of Open Tech CEO Roles - Asia Pacific
- Flex, Singapore, Oct 2018 - Flex announced that Michael M. McNamara, the Company’s CEO and Director, has decided to retire as CEO, effective December 31, 2018. Michael D. Capellas, Chairman of the Board, will actively assist the Company’s management with the CEO transition. The Board has engaged Heidrick & Struggles International, to conduct a search for a new CEO and will be considering both internal and external candidates.
- Innolux Corp., Taiwan, Jun 2018 - Innolux Corp. announced the resignation of Jyh-Chau Wang, Chairman, board member and CEO. The company elected Jin-Yang Hung, Assistant VP of Hon Hai Precision Industry Company Ltd, as its new Chairman.The company is the IoT of the panel industry.
- Tesserent, Australia, Jul 2018 - Tesserent appointed Mr. Julian Challingsworth as Interim CEO, replacing CEO Keith Glennan. Julian joins Tesserent after serving as a Managing Director and Partner of The Litmus Group for over 10 years and a board member of PPB Advisory. Tesserent is a specialist in managed cyber security and networking.
- Telekom Malaysia Berhad, Malaysia, Jun 2018 - Telekom Malaysia Berhad announced the resignation of its Managing Director and Group CEO Mohammed Shazalli Ramly. Deputy CEO Datuk Bazlan Bin Osman named as Acting Group CEO.
- Maxis Berhad, Malaysia, Mar 2018 - Maxis Berhad appointed Board member Robert Nason as executive Director and interim CEO replacing Morten Lundal. The company is a communications service provider in Malaysia.
- Two Degrees Mobile Limited, New Zealand, Aug 2018 - Trilogy International Partners announced that Stewart Sherriff, CEO of its New Zealand based cellular services subsidiary, 2degrees, has stated that he intends to retire. Mr. Sherriff will remain in the role until a replacement is found, at which point he will serve on the 2degrees Board of Directors.
- Link Motion, China, Sep 2018 - Mr. Zemin Xu, CEO of the company, has resigned and Mr. Jia Lian has been appointed as an Acting CEO of the Company. Link Motion Inc. operates as a smart car and smart ride company in China.
Open Tech CEO Roles - Latin America
- Cielo S.A., Brazil, Jul 2018 - Brazil’s largest payment solutions firm CIELO S.A. announced that Mr. Eduardo Campozana Gouveia resigned as the company's CEO. CFO Clovis Poggetti Jr is now interim CEO. A new CEO could be chosen from Cielo’s controlling shareholders Banco do Brasil SA, Banco Bradesco SA or from elsewhere, investor relations head Victor Schabbel said on a conference call.
Tech CEO Appointments
Tech CEO Appointments - US
- Northeast & Mid-Atlantic: Wayside Technology Group (NJ), R/GA Media Group (NY), Charles River Systems (MA), InsPro Technologies Corporation (PA), Micron Solutions (MA), DataOnline (NJ), COTA (NJ), Algorand (MA), Innovu (PA)
- Midwest: SigmaTEK Systems (OH), Vivid Seats (IL)
- South Atlantic: Premiere Global Services (GA)
- South Central: ADDvantage Technologies Group (OK), Momentum Telecom (AL), U-Tegration (TX)
- Mountain: ANGI Homeservices (CO), Instructure (UT), GPS Insight (AZ), Healthwise, Incorporated (ID)
- Pacific: Electronics for Imaging (CA), Instagram (CA), Rambus (CA), Centrify Corporation (CA), Lastline (CA), EdgeWave (CA), KQED (CA), ID Analytics (CA), Beneficent Technology (CA), RealScout (CA), Infomart Data Centers (CA), Nextdoor.com (CA), NEW BI US (CA)
Tech CEO Appointments in the Northeast & Mid-Atlantic
- Wayside Technology Group, NJ - Wayside Technology Group named interim CEO Mr.Steve DeWindt as the permanent President and CEO of the company. He replaces Simon F. Nynens who resigned in May 2018.
- R/GA Media Group, NY - R/GA has announced that Sean Lyons, the company's US President, will assume the role of Global CEO. The appointment, made by R/GA Founder, Executive Chairman, and CEO Bob Greenberg, represents the first time the CEO role will be filled by someone other than the company's founder. R/GA Media Group operates as an agency that offers digital marketing solutions.
- Charles River Systems, MA - State Street Corporation announced that it has completed its acquisition of Charles River Systems (Charles River Development). John Plansky has been named CEO of Charles River Development. Plansky has led State Street’s Global Exchange business for the last 18 months, where he oversaw the expanded launch of a number of front-office solutions including State Street Verus SM, investible indices and DataGX(SM), State Street’s end-to-end data warehousing solution. He replaces Peter Lambertus who founded Charles River Development in 1984 and served as President and CEO until the firm's acquisition in 2018 by State Street Corporation.
- InsPro Technologies Corporation, PA - InsPro Technologies Corporation appointed Anthony R. Verdi as President and CEO. Mr. Verdi, a 13-year veteran of InsPro and Health Benefits Direct Corporation, its predecessor company, also serves as CFO. Mr. Verdi’s appointment follows the resignation of David Anderson as CEO. The resignation was not the result of any disagreement between the Company and Mr. Anderson. InsPro Technologies Corporation, a technology company, develops, sells, and supports Web-based insurance administration software application for insurance carriers and third party administrators in the United States.
- Micron Solutions, MA - Micron Solutions appointed Mr. William J. Laursen as its President and CEO. Mr. Laursen was formerly the EVP, Sales and Strategy of The Coghlin Companies. Current President and CEO, Mr. Salvatore Emma Jr. has accepted the position of COO. Micron Solutions, through its subsidiary, Micron Products, operates as a contract manufacturing organization that produces medical device components requiring precision machining and injection molding in the United States, Asia, Europe, Canada, and internationally.
- DataOnline, NJ - DataOnline, a leading global provider of Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) solutions, announced that COO Chet Reshamwala will transition to CEO. Reshamwala will succeed founder and current CEO Martin Adams, who will transition to a strategic business development role, where he will focus on building key account relationships and helping customers improve safety, efficiency, and the customer experience. DataOnline recently completed acquisitions of Independent Technologies and Wikon GmbH.
- COTA, NJ - Cota announced that Michael Doyle joins the organization as president and CEO. He will also serve as a member of Cota's board of directors. Doyle joins Cota from QPID Health, where he served as president and chief executive officer from 2012 to 2018. COTA provides a cloud-based platform that collects select oncological patient level data to provide real-time functions for oncologists.
- Algorand, MA - Algorand announced the closure of a $62M equity investment and the addition of senior executive hires from leading global technology brands. Steve Kokinos, co-founder and Chairman at Fuze, and W. SeanFord, co-founder of uPromise and former CMO of LogMeIn, join Algorand as CEO and COO, respectively. The funding, combined with the executive hires, will help launch the revolutionary blockchain protocol designed by MIT’s Silvio Micali. A serial entrepreneur, Kokinos has founded and grown three successful companies – Fuze, BladeLogic, and WebYes. Algorand owns and operates a decentralized digital currency and transactions platform.
- Innovu, PA - Innovu appointed global retirement and employee benefits leader, Hugh O'Toole, to the position of CEO and Chief Commercial Officer. O'Toole joined the company after serving as SVP of MassMutual and recently joining the Innovu board of directors. With this move, founding President and CEO, Pat Stewart, will remain as President to lead the company's partner and client experience, operations and innovation functions. With the addition of O'Toole to the executive leadership team, Innovu plans to scale rapidly to align with advisors to penetrate new markets and industries with its InnovuLens™ suite of solutions. Innovu develops and provides cloud-based data solutions for employers, benefit advisors and brokers, and associations.
Tech CEO Appointments in the US Midwest Region
- SigmaTEK Systems, OH - Battery Ventures announced it has acquired software company SigmaTEK Systems. The company also named a new CEO, Robbie Payne, replacing SigmaTEK founder Ben TerreBlanche. Payne was most recently the SVP of operations at education-tech company IO Education in Atlanta. Previously he held senior roles at Horizon Software International. SigmaTEK Systems designs and develops SigmaNEST, a nesting software solution for fabrication, material utilization, motion optimization, manpower efficiency, manufacturing automation, and data management.
- Vivid Seats, IL - Vivid Seats appointed Stan Chia to CEO. Vivid Seats co-founders Eric Vassilatos and Jerry Bednyak will transition daily operations to Mr. Chia and the leadership team. Both co-founders will remain actively involved as co-chairmen of the Vivid Seats board of directors and also as major investors. Most recently, Mr. Chia was COO at Grubhub. Prior to Grubhub, Mr. Chia led strategic businesses and organizations at Amazon, Cisco and General Electric. Vivid Seats operates an independent secondary ticket marketplace.
Tech CEOs Appointed in the US South Atlantic Region
- Premiere Global Services, GA - Premiere Global Services announced that its board of directors has named Don Joos as CEO. Mr. Joos succeeds Ted Schrafft who is retiring and has agreed to remain in an advisory role through the end of 2018. Most recently, he served as the President and CEO of ShoreTel driving that business from a pure product play into UCaaS space. Premiere Global Services provides collaboration software and services in North America, Europe, and the Asia Pacific.
Tech CEOs Appointed in the US South Central Region
- ADDvantage Technologies Group, OK - ADDvantage Technologies Group has appointed Joseph Hart as permanent CEO and President of the company. Hart has been a member of the Board since August 2015, and became interim CEO and President of the company in July 2018. Hart replaced David Humphrey, who stepped down from his position as CEO and as a member of the Board of Directors to pursue further opportunities in July 2018. ADDvantage Technologies Group distributes and services electronics and hardware for the cable television and telecommunication industries worldwide.
- Momentum Telecom, AL - Momentum Telecom announced that Todd Zittrouer will be named CEO in January 2019. He has served as company's President since 2015. Bill Fox, will be stepping down from his current role as CEO and has been named the company's Executive Chairman and will serve on the Board of Directors. Prior to his current position, Zittrouer held several different leadership positions at Momentum and IBBS, which was acquired by Momentum in 2014.The company received a majority investment from Court Square Capital Partners in March 2018. Momentum Telecom provides voice over Internet protocol (VOIP), broadband monitoring and provisioning, and managed support services to residential customers, small businesses, and enterprises in the United States.
- U-Tegration, TX - U-Tegration announced that Bart Thielbar will take on the new role of CEO. Mr. Bin Yu will serve in the role of Chairman of the Board and focus his time on company strategy. U-Tegration provides SAP consulting solutions in North America.
Tech CEOs Appointed in the US West
- ANGI Homeservices, CO - ANGI Homeservices appointed Brandon Ridenour as its next CEO to succeed Chris Terrill. Mr. Ridenour served as Chief Technology Officer at ANGI Homeservices, as well as chief of both product and technology at HomeAdvisor from November 2011. ANGI Homeservices owns and operates the HomeAdvisor digital marketplace service to connect consumers with service professionals for home repair, maintenance, and improvement projects.
- Instructure, UT - Instructure appointed the company President, Dan Goldsmith, as CEO. Josh Coates will transition from his role as CEO to Executive Chairman of the Board. Goldsmith has also been appointed to the Board. Goldsmith joined Instructure as President in June 2018, after spending eight years as a senior executive at Veeva Systems, a cloud-based software provider for the global life sciences industries. Instructure, a software-as-a-service technology company, provides applications for learning, assessment, and performance management worldwide.
- GPS Insight, AZ - GPS Insight announced the promotion of Gary Fitzgerald to CEO. Former CEO and Founder, Rob Donat, will remain with the company as Chairman of the Board. Fitzgerald served as Vice President of Technology for almost two years and led the company’s product development efforts, technical teams, and security practice. Fitzgerald joined GPS Insight in November 2016 from GE, where he served as an enterprise architect for ten years. In May 2018 Telematics vendor GPS Insight received an investment from private equity firm Bregal Sagemount to fund the continued growth as a provider of cloud-based fleet management software. GPS Insight provides GPS fleet tracking software and E-log solutions for businesses and government agencies with mobile assets.
- Healthwise Incorporated, ID - Healthwise announced that Adam Husney, MD, has been named CEO of Healthwise. Husney was named Chief Medical Officer in 2016 and will continue to serve in that role. Husney will succeed CEO Robert “Bob” Kyte. Kyte served Healthwise as general counsel and other key roles from 1990-2006 before returning to Healthwise as CEO in 2016. Healthwise develops health information solutions, decision support tools, behavior change assistance, and personal care planning to health plans, care management companies, hospitals, and consumer health portals.
- Electronics for Imaging, CA - William D. Muir, Jr., 50, was appointed as CEO and President of the company, and a member of the Board. Mr. Guy Gecht will step down as the Company’s CEO and President, and will remain on the Board. Prior to his appointment, Mr. Muir served as COO of Jabil. Previously he was EVP and CEO, Global Manufacturing Services at Jabil.
- Instagram, CA - Facebook is naming Adam Mosseri, a 10-year veteran at the company, as the CEO of Instagram. The appointment comes after the photo-sharing apps co-founders resigned without giving a clear reason. Kevin Systrom, Instagram's CEO, and Mike Krieger, its other co-founder, announced Mosseris appointment. Mosseri was named as Instagram's head of product in May. He began as a designer at Facebook and most recently led its news feed.
- Rambus, CA - Rambus appointed interim President and CEO Luc Seraphin, 55, as the President and CEO of the Company. Prior, he was the SVP and General Manager of Rambus' Memory and Interface Division since November 2015. The technology licensing company’s board had terminated Dr. Ron Black as CEO and as a board member due to inappropriate conduct in June 2018.
- Centrify Corporation, CA - Tim Steinkopf, CFO, has been named CEO of Centrify effective January 1, 2019. During his seven years as CFO at Centrify. Tom Kemp, who is transitioning out of the role of CEO as part of this evolution, co-founded Centrify 14 years ago and has led the company through a number of industry milestones. Thoma Bravo acquired a majority interest in Centrify, from its venture capital investors, led by Mayfield, Accel Partners, Jackson Square Ventures and Index Ventures in July 2018. Centrify Corporation designs and develops unified identity management software for cloud, mobile, and data center platforms.
- Lastline, CA - Lastline announced that John DiLullo has joined the company as CEO. Mr. DiLullo brings 25 years of demonstrated success in enterprise security, networking, and AI, with market leaders Cisco, Avaya, SonicWall, and Aruba Networks. Most recently he was EVP for F5 Network's $2 billion+ Worldwide Sales and Customer Operations, delivering improved performance and security to Enterprise and Service Provider data centers and public cloud environments. Co-founder and previous CEO, Dr. Christopher Kruegel, will transition to Chief Product Officer, pursuing his passion for building amazing products. Lastline develops and delivers security and malware protection platform to detect, stop, and manage attacks, persistent threats, polymorphic viruses, zero-day exploits, and evasive and cyber malware threats for private and public organizations.
- EdgeWave, CA - EdgeWave announced promotion of Steve Kelley to serve as CEO and appointed Louis Ryan as Executive Chairman of the Board of Directors. Previously, Kelley had served as President and Ryan as CEO of the company. Kelley has more than 20 years of experience in the cyber security sector, serving in crucial leadership positions at Trustwave, BeyondTrust and Websense prior to joining EdgeWave. EdgeWave develops and markets on demand, on-premises, and hybrid secure content management solutions primarily in North America.
- KQED, CA - KQED announced that President and CEO John Boland will retire next September 2019 and be succeeded by Michael Isip. Isip is currently EVP and COO at the San Francisco-based media organization. As part of the succession plan, the KQED board chose Isip to be next in line and appointed him to the position of President Elect. Isip will serve as President Elect and COO until he takes over for Boland next year. Prior to coming to KQED, Isip led local production as an executive producer at KVIE Public Television in Sacramento. KQED provides television, radio, digital media, and educational services.
- ID Analytics, CA - ID Analytics, a Symantec company, has announced Ajay Nigam as CEO, replacing Scott Carter who left in July 2018. Nigam joined ID Analytics as the company’s SVP of product and technology in May 2017 and has been responsible for leading the company’s strategy and roadmap to bring new products to market. In his new role as CEO, he will report to Nico Popp, SVP of information protection, at Symantec. Before joining ID Analytics, Nigam served as SVP of products for BrightPoint Security, later acquired by ServiceNow. ID Analytics develops consumer risk management software solutions.
- Beneficent Technology, CA - Benetech announced that Betsy Beaumon will assume the role of CEO. Beaumon has served in executive leadership roles for both for-profit and nonprofit technology organizations, most recently as Benetech’s President, driving the development and growth of all Benetech initiatives including inclusive education, poverty alleviation, and human rights. In conjunction with Beaumon assuming the CEO role, founder Jim Fruchterman will shift to leading a systems-level, strategic technology consulting project for philanthropy and coalitions of nonprofits, for profits, and governments under the Benetech umbrella of solutions. Fruchterman will also continue as a Benetech board member, evangelist, and advisor. Beneficent Technology develops software for social good.
- RealScout, CA - RealScout appointed Arthur Kaneko, formerly COO, to CEO, and Andrew Flachner, formerly CEO to President. Arthur joined RealScout in 2014, where he, in various times, led their sales, marketing and operations organizations, and has been central to company’s product and corporate strategy. RealScout develops and operates a web and mobile platform that helps real estate agents collaborate with their clients.
- Infomart Data Centers, CA - Infomart Data Centers appointed distinguished data center executive Brian Cox as CEO and member of the board of directors. Mr. Cox succeeds Phil Koen, who became interim CEO in June and will remain actively involved in the company as a member of the board of directors. Mr. Cox was most recently COO of Cologix. Mr. Koen took over as Interim CEO, succeeding Infomart’s founder and former President, John Sheputis who stepped down in January 2018. Infomart Data Centers owns and operates data centers in Dallas, Silicon Valley, Ashburn, and Oregon.
- Nextdoor.com, CA - Nextdoor announced Sarah Friar will become the company’s next CEO in December. Friar will join Nextdoor from Square where she has served as CFO since 2012. Sarah joined Square in July 2012 from salesforce.com, where she served as SVP of Finance & Strategy. CEO Nirav Tolia stepped down in July 2018. Nextdoor.com operates a social networking site that connects neighbors to discuss local issues online in the United States.
- VizExplorer, CA - VizExplorer has appointed David Patent as CEO. He will assume the day-to-day leadership of the company and will also join its Board of Directors. A veteran of the gaming industry, Patent has nearly two decades of professional experience, including C-Level management and strategy roles. Patent began his slots career at Harrah’s Entertainment and moved through a number of operational roles before leaving the company to become the President and COO of Rush Street Gaming in 2009. He replaces Ron Frankel as CEO who served from April to September 2018. VizExplorer develops operational intelligence solutions for gaming, manufacturing, and sports and entertainment industries.
Tech CEO Appointments - Canada
- British Columbia: Sierra Wireless.
- Alberta: Userful Corporation
Tech CEO Appointments - Canada
- Sierra Wireless, BC, Canada - Sierra Wireless announced that Kent Thexton has been appointed to the position of President & CEO of the company. Mr. Thexton has been serving as interim President & CEO since May 2018. Mr. Thexton brings a wealth of knowledge and leadership experience in the cellular wireless and IoT industries as well as venture capital technology investing. He held prominent roles as Founding Chief Marketing Officer and board member of O2 Plc in the U.K. (now part of Telefonica). He replaces Jason Cohenour who retired from his position as President, CEO & Director in May 2018.
- Userful Corporation, AB, Canada - Userful Corporation announced that it has named John Marshall as CEO. He assumes leadership of the company and will also join Userful’s Board. Tim Griffin, Userful Founder and former President, remains with the company as Chief Technology Officer. Prior to Userful, John served in a range of startup leadership roles for companies including Cirrent, which creates reliable and secure Wi-Fi connectivity for IoT. Userful Corporation is a desktop virtualization and multi-station Linux computing company in Canada.
Tech CEO Appointments - EMEA
- UK: BT Group Plc, KCOM Group Plc
- Denmark: TDC Group
- Sweden: Tele2 AB, Nelly.com
- Others: Nektan Plc, Gibraltar; Escher Group Holdings Plc, Ireland
Tech CEO Appointment Details - EMEA
- BT Group Plc, United Kingdom - BT Group Plc appointed Philip Jansen as CEO and board member. He will replace Gavin Patterson as CEO on 1 February 2019. Philip joins from Worldpay where he will be stepping down as Co-CEO at the end of the year, serving in the role since 2013.
- TDC Group, Denmark - Allison Kirkby is named CEO of Danish telecommunications company TDC Group. Allison is a familiar name within the international telco industry, as she currently holds the position of President & Group CEO at Tele2 AB. Allison Kirkby joined Tele2 AB in 2014 as CFO and has been CEO of Tele2 since 2015. She replaces Pernille Erenbjerg who resigned as Group CEO and President in May 2018.
- Tele2 AB, Sweden - Anders Nilsson is incoming CEO of the Tele2 as the company announced a number of Leadership Team positions in the merged company of Tele2 and Com Hem. In January 2018, Tele2 and Com Hem announced the intention to merge the two companies. Nilsson has been CEO Officer of Com Hem. He replaces Allison Kirkby who has been named CEO of Danish telecommunications company TDC Group.
- KCOM Group Plc, United Kingdom - KCOM Group Plc appointed Graham Sutherland as CEO. Bill Halbert, KCOM's current CEO will remain with the business for a sufficient period to ensure the smooth transition. Over the last decade Sutherland has held a number of CEO roles within BT Group Plc, including BT Business and Public Sector and BT Ireland. KCOM Group Plc provides IP-based communication and collaboration services to enterprises, small and medium-sized businesses, and consumers in the United Kingdom.
- Nelly.com, Sweden - Qliro Group has appointed Anna Ullman Sersé as CEO of Nelly. Anna has been Interim Head of Nelly since April 2018 and Head of Business Development at Qliro Group since 2016. Prior to that, she was Head of Business Development for Qliro Group since 2016. She replaces Jan Wallsin who left the group in April 2018. Nelly.com is an ecommerce site that offers clothes for women and girls such as clothing, shoes, dresses, lingerie and trousers from leading brands. Its parent company Qliro Group is a leading Nordic e-commerce group in consumer goods, lifestyle products and related financial services.
- Nektan Plc, Gibraltar - Nektan Plc announced that Lucy Buckley has been appointed to the company and its board as CEO. Lucy has spent the past 8 years at Inspired Entertainment Inc, most recently as VP of its Interactive division. Following Lucy's appointment, Gary Shaw will cease to be Interim CEO whilst continuing as an Executive Director. Nektan Plc, together with its subsidiaries, operates as a B2B mobile gaming solutions and services provider in Gibraltar, the United Kingdom, the United States, India, and internationally.
- Escher Group Holdings Plc, Ireland - Escher Group announced that Nick Manolis has been named CEO of Escher, and that he has also been appointed to the company’s board of directors. Manolis has spent the last ten years at TrueCommerce, a global provider of retail trading partner connectivity and integration solutions, as president and CEO. CEO Liam Church had retired in January 2018 before the company was acquired by Hanover Active Equity Fund LP which already had 25.5% stake in Escher. Escher Group Holdings Plc, together with its subsidiaries, provides distributed messaging and data management solutions and services.
Tech CEO Appointments - APAC
- India: Paytm Payments Bank
Tech CEO Appointment Details - APAC
- Paytm Payments Bank Limited, India - Paytm Payments Bank appointed Satish Kumar Gupta as its managing director and CEO. Gupta brings over 35 years of leadership experience to Paytm Payments Bank, with prior senior roles at SBI and NPCI. Paytm Payments Bank Limited operates a mobile and Internet based wallet.
Vell Executive Search Representative Placements
Carbonite (CARB), Online Backup for SMB (SaaS) - Board Members (2)
About Vell Executive Search
- Deep tech industry retained search experience
- More dedicated time as consultants have few parallel projects.
- Thorough understanding of your company’s business and culture
- Behavioral interviews and competency scorecards.
- Constant two-way, direct communication and 24 /7 availability.
- Insightful and detailed reference checking
- Broad reach of candidates: no hidden relationships. No off-limits.
- Analytics based search process.
Vell Executive Search Contact