Geographic Distribution of Open Tech CEO Roles & Appointments
Reasons for CEO departures of Note
Conduct: Intel Semiconductor, Athenahealth and Rambus.
Activist investor pressure: Elliott management was involved in the following CEO transitions: Athenahealth for CEO change and possible sale of the company, but Elliott may be holding out for a lower price; Commvault, after disappointing results; Convergys, after its 30 year CEO decided to retire, the company sold itself to Synnex (transaction is pending).
Poor results: Wayside Tech Group, FTD, StrataSys, World Health Energy, Tesserent and others.
- Everbridge founder and CEO Jaime Ellertson will transition in July 2019.
- Deluxe Corporation will transition in the Spring of 2019, EFI long term CEO retirement.
Mergers and Acquisitions / Spin-offs (unclear whether there is a CEO role open in most cases)
- BrightStar, the cellular phone distributor, was assessed additional taxes in conjunction with its Bermuda headquarters, and its owner Softbank engaged JP Morgan Chase to help explore options. These options including selling BrightStar outright, offloading a substantial stake, or divesting some of its units. BrightStar did appoint Verifone CEO and recent SoftBank operating partner as CEO in September 2018.
- Convergys and Athenahealth, as discussed above
- FTD: the board is considering selling or merging while restructuring.
- Infomart: sold off some of its divisions
- Inpixon spun off Sysorex as a separate publicly traded companies.
Surprise resignations, either after a long time, or a very short time:
- TiVo’s CEO resigned after less than one year on the job
- Sigma Designs CEO resigned abruptly after 36 years on the job
Long term open roles: Marchex has been without a CEO since October 2016. The call analytics and call tracking company has had an “office of the CEO”.
5 Newly Opened Roles - Geographic Distribution
- United States Newly Opened Tech CEO Roles (2): CBS Corporation, NY, Peregrine Semiconductor, CA.
- Canada Newly Opened Tech CEO Roles (1): CounterPath Corporation, BC, Canada.
- Europe Newly Opened Tech CEO Roles (1): Telit Communications plc, UK
- APAC Newly Opened Tech CEO Roles (1): Link Motion, China
For all 47 Open Tech CEO Roles & All Appointments
Most active states/countries for Open Tech CEO Roles
- 14 of the 33 are in the West Mountain/Pacific area, with 12 open roles being in California.
- The UK has 3 open roles; Sweden 2 open roles
- In Asia Pacific, Malaysia has 2 open roles
Note: some CEO resignations immediately announce the successors.
The most active states/countries for Incoming CEOs
- 10 in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, with 5 appointments in New York
- 4 in Midwest, with 3 in Illinois
- Similarly 4 in West Pacific, with 3 in California.
- Men replacing Women: 2
- Women replacing Men: 3
- Men replacing Men: 26
- New CEO role created due to spin-off- 1; Co-CEO (Both former and New CEO - are Male) – 1, Male replaces 1 Male and 1 Female Co-CEOs – 1.
100% of women CEOs get promoted not hired; 56% of men CEOs get hired externally
- 100% of women appointed were internal appointments: promotions or from the existing board.
- 44% of the men appointed were “internal”, i.e. promotions or from the existing board.
Geographic Diversity of Women CEO Appointments
- 3 women appointed were – 1 in the US (Illinois), 1 in Sweden, and 1 France.
Sources of CEO Appointments
56% of CEOs are sourced externally with 100% of men.
Hope you enjoy this newsletter and find it useful. Suggestions and corrections are most welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks again and all the best,
Vell Executive Search is a retained executive search firm that specializes in recruiting technology execs for boards and executive roles, including Board Members, CEOs, Presidents, GMs, CTOs/Chief Digital Officers/VP Engineering, SVP Sales, Chief Revenue Officers, CMOs, and CFOs. Vell has built a reputation for recruiting talented high-performing leadership teams globally www.vell.com.
In this Edition
Open Tech CEO Roles: United States, Canada, EMEA, Asia Pacific, Latin America
New Tech CEO Appointments: United States, Canada, EMEA, Asia Pacific, Latin America
Vell Executive Search Representative Placements: Board, CEOs, GMs, CTOs, CFOs, SVP Sales, SVP, Marketing, CIOs, Chief Digital Officers
About Vell Executive Search
Open Tech CEO Roles
Open Tech CEO Roles - United States
- Northeast & Mid Atlantic: CBS Corporation, NY; athenahealth, MA; Commvault Systems, NJ; Wayside Tech. Group, NJ; Everbridge, MA.
- Midwest: Convergys Corp., OH; Deluxe Corp., MN; FTD Companies, IL; Stratasys, MN; Nortech Systems, MN.
- South Atlantic: World Health Energy Holdings, FL; HotApp Blockchain, MD.
- South Central: Harte Hanks, TX; ADDvantage Technologies Group, OK.
- Pacific: Intel Corp., CA; Electronics for Imaging, CA; TiVo Corporation, CA; Rambus, CA; QAD, CA; Sigma Designs, CA; Marchex, WA; Immersion Corporation, CA; BSQUARE, WA; Mitek Systems, CA; Airgain, CA; Digital Locations, CA; Infomart Data Centers, CA; Peregrine Semiconductor, CA.
Northeast Open Tech CEO Roles
- CBS Corporation, NY, Sep 2018 - CBS Corporation announced a settlement agreement with National Amusements Inc., members of the CBS Board, and related parties. Concurrently with the settlement, Leslie Moonves will depart as Chairman, President and CEO. COO Joseph Ianniello will serve as President and Acting CEO while the Board conducts a search for a permanent successor. The lawsuit filed in May by CBS grew out of the conflict between CBS Corp. chairman-CEO Leslie Moonves and NAI president Shari Redstone over the fate of CBS and the proposed merger with Viacom, which NAI also controls. CBS argues that Shari Redstone has breached her fiduciary duty as a CBS board member by seeking to merge CBS with Viacom.
- athenahealth, MA, Jun 2018 - Jonathan Bush is stepping down as CEO, President & Director of athenahealth, following pressure from activist investor Elliott Management. Chairman Jeffrey Immelt has been appointed as Executive Chairman, until the appointment by the Board of a new CEO. CFO Marc Levine to assume greater day to day operational oversight. Bush, a nephew of former U.S. President George H.W. Bush, founded Athenahealth in 1997 and has been in the spotlight following media reports of inappropriate comments and also issued an apology after it was revealed that that he had assaulted his former wife 14 years ago. The company is also reviewing options for sale in addition to conducting a CEO search.
- Commvault Systems, NJ, May 2018 - Commvault global leader in enterprise backup, recovery, archive and the cloud, began a search for a new CEO in agreement with Elliott Management, an activist investor and after the company announced disappointing financial results. Neil Robert Hammer will continue to lead Commvault as Chairman, CEO and President until his successor is appointed.
- Wayside Technology Group, NJ, May 2018 - Simon F. Nynens resigned as President, CEO and Director of the tech sales and distribution company. Steve DeWindt, the Company’s current Lead Director, has been appointed the Company’s Interim President and CEO until permanent successor has been named. Jeffrey R. Geygan , CEO of Value Investment Corp., was also elected to serve as chairman of the board.
- Everbridge, MA, Jun 2018 - Everbridge announced that long-time Chairman and CEO Jaime Ellertson will transition to executive chairman in mid to late 2019. Everbridge is a global leader in critical event management and enterprise safety software applications.
Midwest Open Tech CEO Roles
- Convergys Corporation, OH, Jan 2018 - President and CEO Andrea Ayers will transition from her role following a nearly 30-year career at the Customer Experience outsourcing giant. Ayers continued to lead the company as CEO and board member. As of 6/28/2018, the company, encouraged by activist Elliott Management, has sold itself to Synnex, another call center company. It is unclear that the search is still ongoing, as the deal has not closed.
- Deluxe Corporation, MN, Apr 2018 - Lee Schram, 56,will retire by the spring of 2019, as CEO of the Company. An executive search has been initiated. Shoreview-based Deluxe is Minnesota's 22nd-largest public company and sells bank checks, check-security features and profit programs for financial institutions and small businesses.
- FTD Companies, IL, Jul 2018 - John C. Walden stepped down as President, CEO and board member, as the company restructures and considers alternatives for selling itself or merging with another entity. FTD appointed Scott D. Levin, currently FTD’s EVP, General Counsel and Secretary, as interim President and CEO. As a result of these corporate restructuring efforts, the COO position held by Simha Kumar has been eliminated, and Jeffrey D. T. Severts, VP and chief marketing officer, left the company following a transition of his marketing responsibilities to Jay Topper. It is unclear as to whether the company is conducting a CEO search. FTD Companies is a floral wire service provider and retailer.
- Stratasys, MN, May 2018 - Ilan Levin has decided to step down from his positions as CEO and Director of the 3D printer and additive manufacturing company, after less than two years on the job. Elchanan (Elan) Jaglom, the company’s current Chairman of the Board, will serve as CEO until a successor is appointed. The company is conducting a CEO Search. Stratasys had stumbled in recent quarters, with Levin noting earlier this month that the company experienced some slow down in orders for high-end systems in government, automotive, and aerospace.
- Nortech Systems, MN, Aug 2018 - Rich Wasielewski, president and CEO of Nortech Systems since 2014, announced he will be retiring. Nortech Systems has retained an executive recruitment to find a CEO. He will continue to lead the company during the search and subsequent transition period. Nortech is a full-scale provider of contract design, engineering, production and post-market services for electro-mechanical products.
South Atlantic Open CEO Roles
- World Health Energy Holdings, FL, Jun 2018 - Uri Tadelis resigned as CEO of World Health Energy Holdings, a diversified software, cybersecurity, financial and energy company. The company announced that a cybersecurity experienced CEO will be appointed in the near future. The company has had a number of major changes in the past few months including the recent passing of one of its original Founders and Directors, Chaim J. Lieberman, a reduction in shares and a working capital financing round of US$2.2m.
- HotApp Blockchain, MD, Aug 2018 - HotApp Blockchain announced the resignation of Lee Wang Kei as CEO and CTO. The board appointed Chairman Mr. Chan Heng Fai as the Company’s Acting CEO. Mr. Chan previously served as the company’s CEO. The company offers HotApp, a community communications ecosystem software application for users to connect with local and global communities. .
South Central Open Tech CEO Roles
- Harte Hanks, TX, Aug 2018 - Harte Hanks announced that Karen Puckett will be stepping down as President and CEO. In the interim, the Board of Directors has created a temporary Office of the CEO composed of board members Jack Griffin and Martin Reidy. Also joining the Office of the CEO are Harte Hanks CFO Jon Biro, and EVP, Contact Centers & CHRO Andrew Harrison. Harte Hanks provides marketing technology services.
- ADDvantage Technologies Group, OK, Jul 2018 – Board member and former CEO, Aero Communications, Joseph Hart was appointed as the Company’s new interim CEO after CEO David Humphrey steps down from his position as CEO and as a member of the Board of Directors to pursue further opportunities. ADDvantage Technologies Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:AEY) supplies the cable television (Cable TV) and telecommunications industries with a comprehensive line of new and used system-critical network equipment and hardware from a broad range of leading manufacturers.
US West Pacific Open Tech CEO Roles
- Intel Corporation, CA, Jun 2018 - Brian Krzanich resigned as CEO and board member of Intel, after violating company policy for a relationship with an employee. The Board has named CFO Robert Swan Interim CEO.
- Electronics for Imaging, CA, Jul 2018 - Electronics for Imaging announced that Guy Gecht, EFI’s 19-year CEO, informed the Board that he intends to step down once his successor is named. Spencer Stuart has been retained to conduct the search. Upon leaving his operating role, Gecht will remain a member of the Board.
- TiVo Corporation, CA, Jul 2018 - TiVo Corporation announced that its board member Raghavendra Rau has been named as interim President and CEO. The appointment follows Enrique Rodriguez's personal decision to resign from his role as its President, CEO and a member of the Board, after less than a year in the role, to assume CTO role at Liberty Global in Europe.
- Rambus, CA, Jun 2018 -The technology licensing company’s board has terminated Dr. Ron Black as CEO and as a board member due to inappropriate conduct. The Board has appointed Luc Seraphin, SVP &GM, Memory and Interfaces Division, as interim CEO of the Company while the Board commences a formal search to identify a new CEO.
- QAD, CA, Aug 2018 - QAD announced that Karl Lopker, 66, CEO, passed away on August 25, 2018. QAD will continue with the management arrangements recently announced for the foreseeable future. The Board of Directors will consider options for a permanent CEO appointment in due course. QAD is a leading provider of flexible, cloud-based enterprise software and services for global manufacturing companies.
- Sigma Designs, CA, Jan 2018 - Sigma Designs' President & CEO Thinh Tran has resigned abruptly after 36 years in the role. Mr. Elias Nader, Sigma's current SVP and CFO, has been appointed as interim President and CEO of the high performance system-on-a-chip semiconductor company.
- Marchex, WA, Oct 2016 - Pete Christothoulou resigned as CEO in October 2016. An office of the Chairman and CEO for the call analytics and call tracking company is still in place as of August 31st, 2018.
- Immersion Corporation, CA, Aug 2018 - Immersion Corporation announced that Tom Lacey as iCEO and Board Member. Lacey succeeds Carl Schlachte, the company’s prior Interim CEO, who is resigning as a director of Immersion. From May 2013 to June 2017, Lacey served as CEO and a director of Xperi Corporation. Lead independent director Sharon Holt has been named Chairman of the Immersion Board. Immersion Corporation creates, designs, develops, and licenses haptic technologies.
- BSQUARE, WA, May 2018 - Jerry D. Chase has stepped down as President and CEO and Mr. Chase will also be stepping down from his board seat. Going forward, BSQUARE will be led by board chairman Andrew Harries who will assume an expanded role as executive chairman, and by Kevin Walsh, VP Marketing, who will serve as acting CEO while continuing to oversee marketing and corporate strategy. Mr. Chase will transition into an advisory role with BSQUARE. The company is conducting a search for a new CEO. BSQUARE is an Industrial IoT Solutions provider.
- Mitek Systems, CA, Aug 2018 - Mitek Systems announced that its CEO, Jim DeBello, will be transitioning out of his role in January 2019. In addition, Bruce Hansen, the company's lead independent director, will immediately assume the role of Chairman of the Board and will assist with the transition process. Mitek Systems develops, markets, and sells mobile image capture and identity verification software solutions for enterprise customers worldwide.
- Airgain, CA, May 2018 - Airgain announced the resignation of Chuck Myers, CEO, after leading the antenna company for more than seven years. Chairman James K. Sims will assume the role of Interim CEO as the company searches for a new permanent CEO. Airgain is a leading provider of embedded antenna technologies used to enable high performance wireless networking across a broad range of home, enterprise, automotive, and industrial devices.
- Digital Locations, CA, Jun 2018 - Gerard F. Hug, CEO and a director of Digital Locations, resigned from his positions as the Company’s CEO and member of the board. William E. Beifuss, Jr., the company’s President and Acting CFO was appointed to serve as Interim CEO of the company. Digital Locations is a provider of proximity-based data solutions that help businesses better understand and interact with consumers in various physical locations.
- Infomart Data Centers, CA, Jun 2018 - Infomart Data Centers announced that its board of directors has appointed Phil Koen as a new member. Mr. Koen will also serve as the company’s Interim CEO, succeeding Infomart’s founder and former President, John Sheputis, who will remain as an adviser to Infomart while the board of directors conducts a search for a new CEO. This transition follows the announcement in March 2018 of the acquisition of three Infomart data centers and Infomart’s management company by IPI Data Center Partners Management.
- Peregrine Semiconductor, CA, Sep 2018 - Stefan Wolff will step down as CEO. The former CEO and current CTO, Jim Cable, will serve as pro tem CEO. pSemi Corporation is a Murata company driving semiconductor integration.
Open Tech CEO Roles - Canada
- British Columbia: Absolute Software, BC; Sierra Wireless, BC; HIVE Blockchain Technologies, BC; CounterPath, BC; RewardStream Solutions, BC.
Details of Open Tech CEO Roles - Canada
- Absolute Software, BC, Canada, Jan 2018 - Absolute Software named Steve Munford, an accomplished cybersecurity industry leader, as interim CEO. Absolute’s former CEO, Geoff Haydon, resigned as both CEO and member of the Board.
- Sierra Wireless, BC, Canada, May 2018 - the leading provider of fully integrated device-to-cloud solutions for the Internet of Things (IoT), announced that Jason Cohenour retired from his position as President, CEO & Director. Effective May 31, Kent Thexton, Chair of Sierra’s Board of Directors, has been named Interim CEO and the Board has initiated a search for a new CEO.
- HIVE Blockchain Technologies, BC, Canada, Aug 2018 - HIVE announced Harry Pokrandt is retiring from his full time role as President, CEO and Director. Frank Holmes, the company's Chairman, will act as Interim Executive Chairman and Olivier Roussy Newton, a Director of the company, will act as Interim President to ensure a smooth transition of management duties. The Board of Directors has begun a search for a new CEO and will take due care and appropriate time in finding the right candidate to propel HIVE into its next phase of growth and development.
- RewardStream Solutions, BC, Canada, Aug 2018 - Rob Goehring has resigned from the board and as the CEO of Rewardstream Solutions. In his place, Patrick C.T. Morris has been appointed as interim president and a director to the board. Morris is an entrepreneur and capital markets executive experienced in a number of industries, including resource exploration, pharmaceutical cannabis, blockchain technologies and finance. Morris has taken numerous companies public through initial public offering, reverse takeover and capital pool company. The company was acquired by buyapowa. We will probably remove it from the next newsletter.
Open Tech CEO Roles - EMEA
- UK: BT Group plc; Sage Group, Telit Communications plc
- Sweden: Mycronic AB; Cherry AB
- Other: VEON, Netherlands; TDC A/S, Denmark
Details of Open Tech CEO Roles - EMEA
- BT Group plc, UK, Jun 2018 - BT Group announced that CEO Gavin Patterson will be stepping down later in the year 2018 and that the Board has commenced a search to identify his successor.
- VEON, Netherlands, Mar 2018 - CEO Jean-Yves Charlier left the company. The Supervisory Board is undertaking a search for a new CEO. The company offers PCB assembly manufacturing, box build assembly, and prototyping and engineering services.
- TDC A/S, Denmark, May 2018 - Pernille Erenbjerg resigned as Group CEO and President, and hence is prepared to support the new owners in a transition period until a new Group CEO has been appointed. As of May 4, 2018, telecommunications company TDC A/S operates as a subsidiary of DK TelekommunikationApS.
- The Sage Group plc, United Kingdom, Aug 2018 - The Sage Group plc announced that Stephen Kelly, CEO, has stepped down as a director and CEO. He will remain available to the Group until he leaves in May 2019. The Board has initiated a process to find a new CEO. The Board has appointed Steve Hare, CFO, to the additional post of COO on an interim basis. In his position as CFO and interim COO, Steve Hare will have full executive authority to run the business until the appointment of the new CEO.
- Telit Communications plc, UK, Sep 2018 - Telit Communications PLC announced that it has reached an agreement with Yosi Fait, the Group's CEO, by which he will cease to be a Director and CEO with immediate effect. Paolo Dal Pino, the non executive Chairman who has previously held a number of CEO roles, becomes Executive Chairman on an interim basis. A process will now begin to recruit a new CEO. Telit provides Internet of Things (IoT) deployment solutions.
- Mycronic AB, Sweden, Feb 2018 - Lena Olving left as President and CEO during 2019. The process to find a successor continues. Mycronic provides production solutions for the electronics assembly, display and packaging.
- Cherry AB, Sweden, May 2018 - Anders Holmgren, CEO and President, left the Swedish gaming company. Gunnar Lind is acting CEO and will remain in this position to ascertain that the group develops according to plan until a permanent CEO is appointed.
Open Tech CEO Roles - Asia Pacific
- China: Link Motion
- Taiwan: Innolux Corporation
- Malaysia: Telekom Malaysia Berhad, Maxis Berhad
- New Zealand: 2degrees
- Australia: Tesserent
Details of Open Tech CEO Roles - Asia Pacific
- Innolux Corp., Taiwan, Jun 2018 - Innolux Corp. announced the resignation of Jyh-Chau Wang, Chairman, board member and CEO. The company elected Jin-Yang Hung, Assistant VP of Hon Hai Precision Industry Company Ltd, as its new Chairman.The company is the IoT of the panel industry.
- Tesserent, Australia, Jul 2018 - Tesserent appointed Mr. Julian Challingsworth as Interim CEO, replacing CEO Keith Glennan. Julian joins Tesserent after serving as a Managing Director and Partner of The Litmus Group for over 10 years and a board member of PPB Advisory. Tesserent is a specialist in managed cyber security and networking.
- Telekom Malaysia Berhad, Malaysia, Jun 2018 - Telekom Malaysia Berhad announced the resignation of its Managing Director and Group CEO Mohammed Shazalli Ramly. Deputy CEO Datuk Bazlan Bin Osman named as Acting Group CEO.
- Maxis Berhad, Malaysia, Mar 2018 - Maxis Berhad appointed Board member Robert Nason as executive Director and interim CEO replacing Morten Lundal. The company is a communications service provider in Malaysia.
- Two Degrees Mobile Limited, New Zealand, Aug 2018 - Trilogy International Partners announced that Stewart Sherriff, CEO of its New Zealand based cellular services subsidiary, 2degrees, has stated that he intends to retire. Mr. Sherriff will remain in the role until a replacement is found, at which point he will serve on the 2degrees Board of Directors.
- Link Motion, China, Sep 2018 - Mr. Zemin Xu, CEO of the company, has resigned and Mr. Jia Lian has been appointed as an Acting CEO of the Company. Link Motion Inc. operates as a smart car and smart ride company in China.
Open Tech CEO Roles - Latin America
- Cielo S.A., Brazil, Jul 2018 - Brazil’s largest payment solutions firm CIELO S.A. announced that Mr. Eduardo Campozana Gouveia resigned as the company's CEO. CFO Clovis Poggetti Jr is now interim CEO. A new CEO could be chosen from Cielo’s controlling shareholders Banco do Brasil SA, Banco Bradesco SA or from elsewhere, investor relations head Victor Schabbel said on a conference call.
Tech CEO Appointments
Tech CEO Appointments - US
- Northeast & Mid-Atlantic: Broadridge Financial Solutions, Veeco Instruments, Ideanomics, FreshDirect, Oath (NY), Majesco, LabVantage Solutions (NJ), hopTo (NH), Aspect Software, Ginger.io (MA)
- South Atlantic: Veriato, Brightstar (FL), Sysorex (VA)
- Midwest: CDW Corporation, SilkRoad technology, ExteNet Systems (IL), Badger Meter (WI)
- South Central: Globalstar (LA)
- Mountain: FreeWave Technologies, Widgix (CO), Lavu (NM)
- Pacific: Aryaka Networks, Tile, StackRox (CA), XNOR.ai (WA)
Tech CEO Appointments in the Northeast & Mid-Atlantic
- Broadridge Financial Solutions, NY - Broadridge Financial Solutions has appointed Tim Gokey, the company's President and COO, to become its CEO. In addition, the board appointed Rich Daly, the current CEO, to the role of Executive Chairman of the Board. Les Brun, Broadridge's independent Chairman of the Board, will become the Lead Independent Director.
- Veeco Instruments, NY - John Peeler, Chairman and CEO, will transition to the role of Executive Chairman. William J. Miller, currently President, will become CEO and will join the Company’s board of directors. Peeler joined Veeco in 2007 as CEO and became Chairman of the Board in 2012. Veeco Instruments provides semiconductor process equipment worldwide.
- Ideanomics, NY - Ideanomics appointed Brett McGonegal as its Co-CEO. McGonegal is the former CEO of Hong Kong-listed investment bank. Ideanomics operates as an Artificial-Intelligent (AI) and Blockchain-powered Fintech company in China.
- Majesco, NJ - Majesco announced that it has appointed Adam Elster as CEO. Ketan Mehta, Majesco Co-Founder and current CEO, has decided to retire from the operational role after 36 years of service and will continue to serve Majesco as the Chairman. Adam has a strong background in the technology industry and most recently served as President, Global Field Operations of CA Technologies. Majesco provides insurance software, consulting services, and other insurance technology solutions.
- LabVantage Solutions, NJ - LabVantage Solutions announced that John Heiser has been named CEO. Mr. Heiser replaces LabVantage President Ram Velidi, who is leaving the company to pursue a new entrepreneurial endeavor. Most recently, Mr. Heiser was President and COO of Magnetrol International. LabVantage Solutions provides laboratory informatics solutions and services.
- Fresh Direct, NY - FreshDirect announced that after 20 years of service, founder and CEO Jason Ackerman has stepped down from his role as Chairman and CEO. Co-founder David McInerney, is assuming the role of CEO and will join the board. This change comes as FreshDirect moves into a new chapter of continued growth, expansion, and innovation. McInerney has served in several leadership roles at FreshDirect, most recently as Chief Merchandising Officer. Fresh Direct sells groceries, ingredients, and food online.
- hopTo, NH - The company appointed Jonathan R. Skeels as its CEO and president, replacing Jean-Louis Casabonne. The company also appointed Mr. Skeels as its CFO, secretary and treasurer on an interim basis. Jonathon R. Skeels is the founder and Managing Partner of Novelty Capital, an investment and advisory firm, which is a shareholder of hopTo Inc. hopTo Inc. develops and sells application publishing software.
- Oath, NY - Verizon Communications announced that K. Guru Gowrappan, who has served as Oath's president and COO since April, will assume all management responsibilities at Oath as CEO. He will report to Verizon CEO Hans Vestberg. Oath founder Tim Armstrong will help guide the Verizon subsidiary’s management transition efforts as a strategic advisor before leaving the company at the end of 2018.
- Aspect Software, MA - Aspect Software appointed current Aspect President, Chris Koziol, to President and CEO of the company. Leveraging his 30-plus years of technology experience and executive leadership. Before joining Aspect, Koziol held key roles in the enterprise software and systems integration industry with over four years as COO for JDA Software. Former CEO Steve Blum had resigned last year.
- Ginger.io, MA - Ginger.io announced that Russell Glass will join as CEO. Most recently, he served as head of products for LinkedIn Marketing Solutions, where he oversaw a product portfolio that generated over $800 million in annual revenue. Glass was founder and CEO of B2B marketing platform company Bizo, which was acquired by LinkedIn for $175 million in 2014. Co-founder and acting CEO Karan Singh will stay on board in an executive capacity, leading the company’s clinical operations and strategy. Ginger.io provides on-demand coaching, teletherapy and telepsychiatry and is funded by Khosla Ventures and Kaiser Permanente Ventures.
Tech CEO Appointments in the South Atlantic Region
- Sysorex, VA - Inpixon announced that it has successfully completed the spin-off of Sysorex. As a result, Inpixon and Sysorex are now two separate publicly traded companies. Sysorex is led by Zaman Khan, CEO, President and a director. He is former President of Inpixon Federal. Inpixon CEO Nadir Ali will continue to serve as a director and Chairman of the Board for continuity. Zaman Khan as CEO, will focus on leveraging the strength of its brand and reputation, particularly within the federal government, as a provider of right-fit IT solutions and professional services enabling customers to manage, protect, and monetize their enterprise assets whether on-premises, in the cloud, or via mobile. Sysorex provides IT and telecommunications solutions and services to commercial and government customers primarily in the United States.
- Veriato, FL - Veriato announced that it has named Larry Thompson as CEO. Thompson previously served as both President and CFO at Veriato. He has been with the company for over 10 years and is responsible for all operational aspects. Thompson replaces Mike Tierney.
- Brightstar, FL - Brightstar announced that Paul Galant has been named CEO and member of the Board. Previously Galant served as CEO and member of the Board of VeriFone Systems. More recently, Mr. Galant led the take-private $3.4 billion transaction between VeriFone and private equity firm, Francisco Partners. He replaces Jaymin B. Patel who had resigned as CEO and member of the Board. Reza Taleghani, President and CFO, was serving as interim CEO. BrightStar, the cellular phone distributor, was assessed additional taxes in conjunction with its Bermuda headquarters, and its owner Softbank engaged JP Morgan Chase to help explore options. These options including selling BrightStar outright, offloading a substantial stake, or divesting some of its units. Brightstar, a specialized wireless distributor, provides B2B services to manufacturers, mobile network operators, retailers, and enterprises in the wireless industry.
Tech CEOs Appointed in the US Midwest Region
- CDW Corporation, IL - CDW announced that Tom Richards, Chairman and CEO, will step down on December 31, 2018, after nine years with the company. Richards will become Executive Chairman of the Board of Directors and serve through at least 2019. Christine Leahy will become CEO and a member of the Board of Directors as of January 1, 2019. Leahy is currently Chief Revenue Officer. Leahy joined CDW as General Counsel and a member of the Executive Committee in 2002.
- Badger Meter, WI - Badger Meter announced that Richard A. Meeusen will retire as CEO of the company. He will remain Chairman of the Board through 2019. Kenneth C. Bockhorst, currently President, was appointed to the Board effective immediately and will become CEO. Badger Meter provides flow measurement, control, and communication solutions worldwide.
- SilkRoad technology, IL - SilkRoad hired Robert Dvorak as CEO and President. John Shackleton is transitioning to a new role as Executive Chairman of the Board through the end of the year. Shackleton has served as CEO of SilkRoad for the past five and half years. Most recently Robert Dvorak served as EVP of Strategic Sales of Forsythe Technology (recently acquired by Sirius Computer Solutions), where he introduced professional service offerings for an executive audience. SilkRoad technology provides cloud-based talent management solutions.
- ExteNet Systems, IL - ExteNet Systems appointed Jim Hyde as CEO. Hyde succeeds Ross Manire, the co-founder of ExteNet Systems who is retiring and has served as President and CEO since 2002. Most recently, he served as President of Prepaid Group, Wholesale, Affiliates and Strategic Partnerships for Sprint where he led the company's efforts to build out its MVNO and prepaid service businesses. ExteNet Systems designs and operates indoor and outdoor distributed networks for wireless service providers, and venue owners and managers.
Tech CEOs Appointed in the US South Central Region
- Globalstar, LA - Globalstar announced the promotion of President & COO Dave Kagan to the position of CEO and Jay Monroe to Executive Chairman. Globalstar provides mobile satellite voice and data services.
Tech CEOs Appointed in the US West
- FreeWave Technologies, CO - FreeWave Technologies announced that it has successfully completed a transaction redeeming the shares of its private equity investor TA Associates. As a fully private company, FreeWave is poised for further growth in the IIoT market. New CEO Kirk Byles will lead FreeWave through its next phase of innovation and growth. An accomplished sales executive who joined FreeWave in 2016 and formerly served as VP of Worldwide Sales. He replaces Kim Niederman. FreeWave Technologies is a recognized leader and pioneer of IoT, IIoT, M2M, and Fog Computing solutions.
- Widgix, CO - SurveyGizmo appointed David Roberts as CEO. Roberts’s experience spans 17 years with Accenture where he was a Partner in the firm’s Customer Relationship Management practice. Most recently Roberts was the CEO of ReedGroup, where he led the company through significant organic growth and strategic acquisitions. He replaces CEO Christian Vanek, who will take on the role as the firm's first Chief Product Officer.
- Lavu, NM - The Board of Directors of Lavu announced that Saleem Khatri, a serial entrepreneur and former Goldman Sachs and Oaktree Capital Management employee, will become CEO. Marc Chesley had stepped down as the CEO of Lavu in June 2016, after only three months in the role.
- Aryaka Networks, CA - Aryaka announced that Matt Carter has joined the company’s leadership team as its CEO. Most recently, he served as President and CEO at Inteliquent, where he was recruited by the Board of Directors to leadand led the transformation of the public, cloud-based unified communications company. Shawn Farshchi, left as CEO in June 2018. Aryaka Networks provides software-defined network connectivity and application acceleration solutions.
- Tile, CA - Tile appointed CJ Prober as its new CEO. Mike Farley, co-founder and the preceding CEO, will continue to serve as a strategic advisor and sit on Tile’s board of directors. Prober’s primary focus will be to expand Tile’s cloud-based finding platform, exponentially grow the number of Tile-enabled partner products, and offer new digital services that, collectively, support the ultimate goal of keeping track of important belongings. Prior to joining in he company, Prober served as COO at GoPro and held several positions at Electronic Arts, including SVP of digital publishing and VP of publishing and product management. Tile designs and delivers devices, network, and mobile applications to find keys, wallets, phones, and anything.
- StackRox, CA - StackRox announced security industry veteran Kamal Shah has been named president, CEO and director. Shah was formerly SVP of products and marketing for Skyhigh Networks, where he helped establish the company as a market-leader in cloud security with more than 600 enterprise customers prior to its acquisition by McAfee. He replace Co-founder Sameer Bhalotra, who will now continue as Executive Chairman. StackRox helps enterprises secure their containerized, cloud-native applications at scale.
- XNOR.ai, WA - Xnor.ai, an AI edge computing start up that spun out from the Allen Institute of Artificial Intelligence, has appointed Jon Gelsey as CEO. Gelsey joins Xnor from Auth0, which under his leadership as CEO quickly grew from a few engineers working out of their living rooms to a leading global identity-as-a-service provider. Founder Ali Farhadi transitions to CXO where he will lead all aspects of the engineering organization. He will focus on expanding the Xnor.ai platform to new compute platforms and on extending Xnor's technology to support a broad set of AI applications beyond computer vision.
Of note: Instagram Co-Founder/CEO Kevin Systrom leaves Facebook along with co-founder Mike Krieger, Co-CEO departure at Worldpay and temporary leave of absence for MGT CEO.
- Instagram, CA - The co-founders of Instagram are resigning their positions with the social media company without explanation. Chief Executive Kevin Systrom announced that he and Mike Krieger, Instagram's chief technical officer, plan to leave the company in the next few weeks and take time off, to explore their curiosity and creativity again.
- Worldpay, OH - Worldpay announced that Philip Jansen will step down as co-chief executive officer and a member of the board. At that time, the company will transition to a single chief executive officer, which will be current Executive Chairman and co-CEO Charles Drucker.
- MGT Capital Investments, NC - MGT Capital Investments, Inc. announced that Robert Ladd, its President and Chief Executive Officer, is taking a leave of absence to focus on addressing the allegations in an SEC Complaint filed on September 7, 2018. H. Robert Holmes, independent director and Chairman of the Board of Directors of MGT will assume the duties of Mr. Ladd as Interim President and CEO. MGT Capital Investments, Inc. engages in bitcoin mining operations in the Wenatchee Valley area of central Washington.
Tech CEO Appointments - Canada
- Quebec: Intelerad Medical Systems.
Tech CEO Appointments - Canada
- Intelerad Medical Systems Incorporated, QC, Canada - Intelerad Medical Systems announced the retirement of CEO Randall Oka. The board has appointed Paul Lepage as its new president and CEO, who is a seasoned executive with over 15 years of experience in healthcare IT. He has served as COO of Locus Dialog, as president and CEO of Medisolution (ERP) and most recently as president of TELUS Health and Payment Solutions.
Tech CEO Appointments - EMEA
- UK: 3i Infotech – Framework, boohoo grou
- France: ESI Group SA
- Germany: Scout24 AG Schweizer Electronic AG
- Others: Telenor Norge AS (Norway), Telenor Sverige AB (Sweden), Stibo Systems (Denmark)
Tech CEO Appointment Details - EMEA
- Telenor Norge AS, Norway - The Board of Directors of Telenor Norway has appointed Petter Furberg as the new CEO. He is EVP, Cluster Head for Emerging Asia and part of Telenor's Group Executive Management. Bjørn Ivar Moen, current head of Telenor Norway's Mobile division, will be acting CEO of Telenor Norway until Furberg starts. Berit Svendsen is stepping down from her position as CEO of Telenor Norway and head of the Scandinavia Cluster.
- Telenor Sverige AB, Sweden - Kaaren Hilsen is announced as the new CEO in Telenor Sweden. Kaaren Hilsen was until 2017 CFO in Telenor Sweden and has worked for Telenor's operations in Montenegro and Thailand. She now returns to Telenor from the position of CFO for Betsson AB. She replaces Patrik Hofbauer who has decided to pursue opportunities outside Telenor Group.
- boohoo group, UK - Online fashion retailer boohoo group plc appointed John Lyttle as CEO. John is currently the COO of Primark Stores Limited. Mahmud Kamani, currently Joint Chief Executive, will become Group Executive Chairman. Carol Kane, currently Joint Chief Executive, will remain on the main Board in an executive role and will assume the title of Group Co-Founder and Executive Director.
- Scout24 AG, Germany - Scout24 AG announced that the supervisory board won Tobias Hartmann as new CEO. He is currently member of the management board of HelloFresh SE and responsible for the business in the USA. Current CEO, Gregory Ellis, steps down. Scout24 AG operates digital marketplaces specializing in the real estate and automotive sectors in Germany and other European countries.
- ESI Group SA, France - As part of the succession plan, ESI Group’s Board decided to appoint Cristel de Rouvray as CEO of ESI Group. Cristel has been an active member of the Board since July 1999 and has been intimately involved in the decisions of the company as Board. CEO Alain de Rouvray will become non-executive Chairman as of this date. ESI Group SA designs, develops, and sells virtual prototyping software worldwide.
- Schweizer Electronic AG, Germany - Schweizer Electronic AG appointed Dr. Rolf Merte as a member of SCHWEIZER's Executive Board for the period of five years and designated him as the new Chairman. Depending on his personal availability, Dr. Merte will start his new position as CEO of Schweizer Electronic AG latest on April 1, 2019. Schweizer Electronic AG provides printed circuit boards (PCBs) worldwide.
- Stibo Systems, Denmark - Stibo Systems announced that software and data industry veteran Niels Poulsen Stenfeldt has joined the Company as CEO. Stenfeldt brings more than 15 years serving in global leadership positions, successfully driving growth and operational excellence at some of the software companies, including Danaher, OpenText, SAP and Oracle. Stenfeldt is replacing longtime CEO Mikael Lyngsø, who left the company in June after more than 30 years of leadership at Stibo Systems. Stibo Systems provides master data management solutions.
- 3i Infotech (Framework)– Framework, UK - Framework has appointed Alan Naughton as its CEO. Previously, Naughton worked for Standard Chartered Bank as its head of Securities Services and Corporate Agency and Trust Business. 3i Infotech – Framework Limited provides end-to-end alternative assets software solutions to manage risks in the private equity and investor community.
Vell Executive Search Representative Placements
Carbonite (CARB), Online Backup for SMB (SaaS) - Board Members (2)
About Vell Executive Search
- Deep tech industry retained search experience
- More dedicated time as consultants have few parallel projects.
- Thorough understanding of your company’s business and culture
- Behavioral interviews and competency scorecards.
- Constant two-way, direct communication and 24 /7 availability.
- Insightful and detailed reference checking
- Broad reach of candidates: no hidden relationships. No off-limits.
- Analytics based search process.
Vell Executive Search Contact